PDA

View Full Version : Burly

Breamreeper
26-02-2003, 11:42 AM
::) I am trying to put together a book of burly's. I know that we all have our secret stuff, but i thought it would be good for kids etc. P.S all proceeds would go to Charity for Kids.

theone
26-02-2003, 12:32 PM
so are asking for our favorite burleys?

mackmauler
26-02-2003, 03:47 PM
Rex hunt super berley, saw it on tv must be good ;D

sunrise
27-02-2003, 05:19 AM
one carton of your best beer and a few kilo's of prawns on a rocking boat seen some good burly from that.. ;D

no but seriosly good idea let us know what do you need am i sure you will get suport from the guys
where is the booklet going to be sold and who is going to get the proceeds
johno

Lucky_Phill
27-02-2003, 08:29 AM
Obviously there is different berleys for different species ie:- no use cubing pillies in the esturary for Bream.

OK, here's couple of standard ones.

Chook pellets from the produce store ( just throw them out the back of the boat for shallow water Bream )

Chook pellets with a little Tuna Oil in for deeper water and things like Squire.

Chook pellets with Tuna Oil and sand mixed in to get it to the bottom in a current.

Any old pillies, prawn shells, flesh etc put through a mincer along with old bread etc, throw in some Tuna Oil. Good offshore berlery.

The old can of Cat food with holes punched in the sides seems to work.

Another type of berley method ( that's a lose term here ), is to put the Berley onto the bait ie:- spike it with Garlic or anniseed !

You can berley up beach worms by placing an Onion bag full of fish frames up the beach>.

To berley up Teethy Critters try a drum of Offal and blood. :(

That's it from me for now.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
27-02-2003, 09:58 AM
phil raises a valid point - the method of delivery for different species is as important as the recipe - worthy of a spot in your book & would make it a more complete guide.

When I fish for jew in the estuaries I target underwater roadways (ledges & holes). I use livies in the burley pot that didn't survive the castnet, crushed slightly mixed with pellets & tuna oil - then a 1.5kg loose lead weight on top of the burley inside the pot. I use the sounder to lower this to about 2m above the form - the sounder picks up the lead weight easily so you get the right depth & the weight keeps it pretty much under the stern - less chance of tangles.

When you notice the burley has stopped dispersing as well as it should you jig the pot & the lead weight crushes some more to disperse.

chris

spike2
27-02-2003, 11:43 AM
subject burly when catching gar for live baiting off illuka wall we use bran soaked in tuna oil it floats on surface where the gar are but it doesnt really feed them ,it spread out over a large area and you can see the extent of the trail .interestingly the birds that normally attack our suspended live baits wont drive through the tuna oil slick , cheers

Dominator
27-02-2003, 11:44 AM
Reaper, I think Phill has thrown a few good suggestions into the mix that will help you with your book.

The one i use for Bream that works quite well is a mixture of oats, flour, catfood(homebrand pilchards in aspic) and water. Just mix the items above into a stiff but workable paste. Let it sit over night and then when at your favourite spot drop small ball shaped amounts into the water.

Hope the book goes well. ;) ;) ;)

Cheers,

Dominator.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
27-02-2003, 12:30 PM
sounds horribly like the dim sim I had last friday night dom !

chris

Fisherman02
27-02-2003, 03:47 PM
hey guys
for bream i just use soaked bread not overnight just get some water from your fishing spot break off pieces of a slice of bread and drop them into the water when it is soft chuck it in either all at once or bit by bit. It sinks very slowly and disperses under water good for when the tide is slowing. Besides breaking up the bread gives u something to do in between bites.
cheers jack

Dominator
28-02-2003, 07:35 AM
Chris, if worst comes to worst and there is no fish in the eskie after your trip then keep some of the Burley mix throw it into a camp oven for 20min and walla Pilchard flavoured Damper. ;D ;D ;D

P.S If using the burley for the Damper add salt and pepper to taste. ;) ;) ;)

Cheers,

Dominator.

blaze
28-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Hi all
I start of with chook pellets and tuna oil, about half a 2 gallon bucket of pellets add the tuna oil, then while fishing I put bits of left over pillys, prawns etc. when i get back i put left overs in the bait fridge. gets a bit on the nose some times, last time i went out, got the burly out a bit early and the flys had a feast, the silver trevally and flatties love Gents(maggots)
cheers
blaze

Breamreeper
04-03-2003, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the response guy's. To answer a few questions, the book once put together would be distributed through Bait and Tackle shops, boating store etc via merchandisers of that line of equiptment. The proceeds would then go to charity. The charity would be chosen out of a short list that we have as we need to fund the most needy. If you can suggest any charities and we all have one that we agree on that would be even better. I was going to approach certain fishing mags to help us with publication etc.

Keep the recipes coming .

Jewmaster
06-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Search for berley in previous posts, I have seen a few different topics over time.