PDA

View Full Version : Going to the whitsundays!!!

Sean
10-03-2003, 03:49 PM
A while ago I read an article in a mag about an island in the whitsundays you can camp at with a permit. You have to take all your own water and supplies but I was thinking of going at the end of the year. I was wondering if anyone has heard about this island, or even been there. If so can anyone offer me any tips as to what I will need to do in order to both get the permit and also just generally organise this. Thanks

krazyfisher
10-03-2003, 03:56 PM
there are a few islands like that in the whitsundays about 15 that I know of try ringing marine parks or whitsunday tourist centre they should be able to help you out do you have a boat to get out there?

Lucky_Phill
10-03-2003, 04:23 PM
I have camped on some, and would be willing to give ya a few tips when you find out what island you going to and where you want to fish.

At this stage, my suggestions are Scrub Hen Beach, Joe's Beach on Whitsunday Island or Butterfly Bay on Hook Island. You can camp at Hook Island resort in the camp grounds, that way you'll have access to fuel, ice, food, tourists :o, etc. Fishing is just minutes away from any of the abovementioned places.

Don't be shy to ask for more info.......

Sean
11-03-2003, 12:10 PM
Yeah mate i have a boat, thanks for the advise guys the more the better. I guess taking a lot of poppers will help too. ;) :)

krazyfisher
11-03-2003, 02:40 PM
great the reason I asked about the boat is that there are alot of islands that people can get to on the ferries but if you have a boat there are better ones if it was me I would be going to either the top end or bottom end of the whitsundays up top around dingo beach way or south to the smith group just let me know if I can give you any more info i have fished around the islands abit ;D

SimonM
13-03-2003, 08:37 AM
Howdy All,

I have also been thinking about doing the boat camping thing up at the Whitsundays sometime. Can anyone recommend the best time of year for camping and fishing up there.

Cheers,
Simon.

Lucky_Phill
13-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Best month for wind / conditions is June.

Other than that, any month in the Whitties is better than a month in Brisvegas / The Big Smoke. ;D