PDA

View Full Version : Missing Crab Pots

jaybee
14-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Just talking to my bro. Last tuesday due to adverse conditions decided to go up the river at mooloolaba and fish for jack. he encountered a crab pot hanging in a tree due to the floods, where the rope should be was a piece of fishing line, no float, no name or phone number on the pot and brand new, further investigation in the river as far down as the boat ramp found numerous small floats attached to pots only with fishing line, no names no phone numbers, anyway the one that was in the tree now lives at Brunswick Heads, don't blame him i spose. the others were left to the flood waters.
cheers.

mackmauler
14-03-2003, 04:16 PM
Jaybee, that quiet an illegal way to set pots, thatll teach em ;D

I came upon a fisheries patrol last year doing the usual spot checks, boat loaded with pots unmarked and exceeding the 8 limit for 2p, in my eyes they were law breakers and they were told, an excuse came quickly, they found the pots apparently, food for though hey ???

jaybee
14-03-2003, 05:17 PM
that was my bros response mack, thoughts were there to remove the other offending floats / pots up onto higher ground as to not foul the waterways, but he said there was at least 20 and light was fading. so someone out there has lost quite a few dollars eh.
cheers.

aquarius
14-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Jaybee you can't blame people these days for trying to hide pots but the name should be on them and on the floats. >:(
I myself would have reported this incident to the DPI Authorities and just leave the pots where they stand.
I quite often encounter sunken pots when trolling creeks for flatties but i always drop them back.

Cheers Brent

Zeeke
14-03-2003, 06:23 PM
one thing i really really hate about crab pots legal or illegal.. is people using clear bottles as floats.. like 2 litre coke bottles... there is nothing worse then cruising along at night.. hitting a pot float and having ur prop pin break off from stress.. and loosing ur prop.. havent had it happen to me.. but i have seen it happen, i reckon all floats should be big enuf to be seen.. and have some sort of reflextive tape or something that really stands out.. even a tiny lil strobe light.. like that on an epirb... not just for safety.. but for common decency...

Tim