PDA

View Full Version : Trevally

Bushbasher
16-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Just caught my first trevally (a few actually)and wanted to ask if they're good eating and how best to prepare them.After struggling to get one filleted I gave up on the rest for now and thought I'd ask some of you experts out there how is best to do it and do I even bother or just cook them whole?
At the moment they're scaled and gutted and sitting in the fridge so tell me guys (and gals), what's the next step?
Any advise greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bushbasher

Lucky_Phill
16-03-2003, 03:15 PM
I personally love Trevally fresh.

I do skin them.

I never gut and gill them. Always bleed them upon capture.

The skin can be a tricky thing to get off, but a blunt, yes blunt, knife can be an advantage.

Trevors are best, in Tempura Batter and deep fried.

Bushbasher
17-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the info Phil but I must say ;you must have an awfully big deep fryer and a cast iron stomach. I can't imagine not gutting a fish before cooking it and unless you have an industrial fryer how do you get 35 or 40cm of fish (including head and tail) into the deep fryer?

Volvo
17-03-2003, 09:00 AM
:)Bushbasher try this with your travelly and let me know what ya think ;). gotta tell ya i personally dont eat em but one of me moms favourite and fecked if i can work out why Lol.
okay ya done well gillin n guttin the feckers. get a sharp kaniffy and make coupla slices each side of the fish and force some butter in there(only if ya wish, can leave with just the slice there:)). Slice some onions, schallots, parsley and place in stomache cavity area.
get yourself halfe a cup or so of Tomatoe paste(Leggo's seems ta be nice n rich paste:) ),some hot water break or dilute it down some and some Olive oil also in the tomatoe paste(should end up with near a cup of the stuff by the time ya finished , n dont be afraid ta use that Oilive Oil ey). You gunna haveta trial n error here as to size of fish.
Okay now brush/baste this over both sides of your fish and whatever ya got left just pour over the fish whilst its layin in the bakin dish....Did i tell ya ya need a baking dish???? well ya do lol.
Where was i??, okay get yourself some foil and cover baking dish with fish in dish, foil sunnyside down and shite ya shouldnt need more than three quarters of an hour to an hour depending on size of fish ey.
Otherwise do same as above and wrap in foil with ingredients given :) .
When baking fish it pays to experiment with herbs n spices ey as surprising some of the tastes they bring out of the fish and FORGOT!! some slices of lemmon in that stomache cavity also.
feck how could i have done that, never eat fish without at least a bit of lemmon ::).
Cheers n kalli Oreksi

Lucky_Phill
17-03-2003, 09:08 AM
I didn't see any smilies, so I hope that reply was a joke ! ??? ;D

Anyway. I fillet, skin, de-bone the fish. Cut them into ' fishfinger' sizes and deep fry them in Tempura Batter in Olive Oil..mmmmmmmmmmm!

If you like, add a bit of Cajun Seasoning to the batter. ;) ;D

Lucky_Phill
17-03-2003, 09:10 AM
With all those additives Volvo, bet it doesn't even taste like fish ;D ;D ;D

I try to keep it as simple as possible.

If fish were meant to taste like lemon, we'd catch them in lemon trees ? ??? :P ;D ;)

Volvo
17-03-2003, 09:23 AM
LMAO. Maybe so phil but then again if that were the case all fish would be the same species ;).
Some fish ya just gotta induce some taste to it, like you tampura batter for instance ::).The Lemon tree was specifically invented for the use on fish Phill, believe me its ridgydidge ;D.
By the way with the Tampura are you using "Mcormick" tampura batter??. Bought some awhile back and certainly nice stuff.
Nope it aint bought out by Mrs Mcormacks either, though have some of that batter mixture as well and it aint too bad a mix either.

Bushbasher
17-03-2003, 06:04 PM
Thanks Volvo , I might just give that a go , and Phil , I was only half joking mate ;) but you did say you don't gut or gill them and you didn't mention anything about filleting either , lol. But I have since been told from other soarces that not gutting them is the go if you're baking them and to just peel the skin off once they come out of the oven so I guess I learned something today, haha. As for filleting them , do you cut out the lateral bones across their middle after you take the fillet or do you cut around them as you fillet?
Thanks guys for the responses and recipes ,I'm slowly getting up to speed with this fishing lark now and who knows ,before long I may even be able to sound as if I know what I'm talking about , haha

Cheers
Bushbasher

Jewmaster
18-03-2003, 04:39 AM
The people I go fishing with strip fish finger size peices of meat off and soak it in lemon and vinager with some crushed garlic and chilli, maybe some ginger, leave it to sit for 30 miniutes max and than tuck in, I was a bit worried about it being raw but the vinager and lemon cook the fish, it changes color and goes white just like normal fish.

Tasted excellent, the trick is to have good tasting vinegar.

Typically it is called Numus or Humus, not really sure how it is pronounced or spelled.

Lucky-Phill
18-03-2003, 01:28 PM
Yes mate, I completely de-bone the fish.

Take a slab off the side, skin it, cut out the ribs, cut out the pin bone ( in trevors goes a long ways back ).

Sometimes it's easier to cut the top fillet off ( above the back bone ) and then play with the rib area and lower half. In the end you get a long finger shaped fillet and a triangle shaped one.

Haven't tried that Raw Fish thing, but have been hearing it more and more. Maybe.........just maybe, I'll give it a shot one day ??? :P ;D ;)

jaybee
18-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Lucky-Phill
Haven't tried that Raw Fish thinggive it go phill u will be surprised, only need a bit of lemon juice/lime juice or soy sauce and onion for tuna, keep the ingredients in the boat, nothing like a fresh feed eh. Love whiting soaked in lime/lemon small bite size pieces. yummooo.Snapper is quite nice as well.
cheers.