PDA

View Full Version : Jewie Jewels

bluey123
19-03-2003, 05:55 AM
Hi all, I have heard that there is a round bone like structure located somewhere in a jewfish's head. This is supposedly a prized possession for keen jewfish anglers, who collect them similar to pearls (though not valuable to anyone other than the fisherman who caught it).

Has anyone seen these and where are they located? At what size are they found? I caught my first "schoolie" the other day (a tad under 4 kg) and could not locate it.

Cheers

Bluey

Jewmaster
19-03-2003, 12:19 PM
I have a couple of large jewels from some nice big jewies, I have found that sometimes I cannot locate the jewel at all.

Gill and gut the fish, chop off the head and and turn it so the eyes are facing the ground, so that you are looking at where the gills where. You will notice that the bone structure slightly behind the eyes and in to the middle looks a bit sunk it, Use pliers or a large knife to break open the bone and search for the jewels, they should be covered in blood ad tissue and it will make them a bit hard to find sometimes.

Lately if we want the jewel, we remove the head and live it to dry out in the sun, once the head is competly dry, when you shake it you can hear the jewels rattle arond, they tend to loose some quality when you do this.

Basically, get a hacksaw and chop the head up into peices or break it open and you will find caverns in the bone structure, one on each side of the fish where the jewels are located.

Sorry my method isn't very exact, but it is messy work usually.

mackmauler
19-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Jew, must be a real talking point the "how and where" ;) might try that in future.