PDA

View Full Version : Boats sinking at Tangalooma - A plausible theory

Mugil
18-03-2003, 06:01 AM
G’day guys
I heard a story recently which could be significant regarding Bugmans sunk boat. A mate’s father was anchored in his 40’ trimaran at Lucinda Bay to the south of Tangalooma a couple of weeks ago. (possibly the same night as Bugmans incident) Anyway he was woken during the middle of the night by a dull roaring sound. Got up to check it out and saw a large ship moving quite fast down the main channel. The shipping channel is quite close to Moreton Island then turns west toward Brisbane River. It was displacing some mean pressure waves and these seemed to exaggerate as the boat turned. In the moonlight he could make out a line of breakers moving south along the island and these were what was making the noise. As they reached his boat he hung on and was quite frightened by their size particularly considering they were cresting and breaking mere metres inshore of his anchorage, and he was some distance offshore. Given they were moving south, the wrecks at Tangalooma would not have provided any protection, particularly the northern end. I have noticed myself some ships throw out bigger bow waves than others, tugs are particularly bad and have scared me in my tinnie more than once. Des (my mates dad) has fished and sailed the bay all his life and never seen the phenomenon as severe as on this occasion. Something to beware of
Cheers

bugman
18-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Mugil

The night in question for me was Sat March 1. I'm open to any theory and that one sounds plausible. One of the guys in a big 50+ foot yacht I was talking to in the morning said he got a hell of a shaking during the night and was up most of the night worried he would pull anchor.

He said "I was worried about you little boats" bit late now I thought.

Anyway I guess we'll never know.

Still yet to hear from the insurance company.

Bugman

Lucky-Phill
18-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Sounds to me like you got your answer Brett.

Very Very interesting...... :o

jaybee
18-03-2003, 01:42 PM
might be one to chase up brett, could get insurance from the liner if they were proved to be exceeding the speed so to speak or too close in shore to save a couple hundred gallons o fuel. records are kept of incomming and outgoing, but then all these ships are supposed to have pilots on board arent they. ???

yockman
21-03-2003, 03:40 AM
Any of you guys seen the movie/read the book "Snow Falling on Cedars"? Won't say any more, might spoil it for you
Cheers,
Yockman