PDA

View Full Version : Castnet for Bait.

captain
19-03-2003, 01:43 PM
I bought my-self a 9' Castnet today and thew it till my arm is now 2" longer.
QUESTION. Is there some magic to finding bait, like a tide or a gutter? I'm after mullet and need some help to find the best places to throw this thing at them.
I'm on the Maroochy River and any help would be gratefully excepted.

craigie
19-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Hi Captain,

Go and talk to the 'Admiral' at Swan Boat Hire, I'm sure he knows a few locations.
You could also try off the Chambers Island Bridge. See plenty of Herrings etc cast up from this spot.

Cheers
Craig.

captain
19-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the quick response Craig. I will take your advise and question the Admiral.

mick
20-03-2003, 07:27 AM
get some polaroid sunnies and an old loaf of bread. use the bread as berly, wait till you see the bread being eaten then wait some more. then cast.

mick

mick
20-03-2003, 07:29 AM
p.s in the shallows at high tide is by far the most preductive

Zeeke
20-03-2003, 04:15 PM
G'day Mate, i fish maroochy river usually 3-4 times a week.. and then some more hehehe.. but this weather is a bit off heh.. iam a lure and flyfisho.. but my brother who accompanys me a fairbit when fishing prefers using live bait.. a few places i can give hints to are.. Off the jetty near the Trader Dukes pub.. u can see it fairly clearly if your driving towards the motorway.. have seen schools of herring and baitfish so huge you couldnt miss a cast.. also around the pylons under the bridge near Picnic Point, Around the old boat ramp infront of the toilet block on the main road that runs along the river, near Maroochy Palms Caravan park/motel.. and also early mornings infront of the Kayak and Waterski club shed on Fishermans road, just throw a few pieces of bread out and u'll get poddy mullet to 1.4kg.. (bloody yum too)

Hope it helps

Tim

Zeeke
20-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Oh yea.. if ur casting at night, try around the codhole, specifically the ecotours boat.. .. if ur in a boat.. thats a different story.. if u are.. buzz me an email at reelmad@hotmail.com and ill tell u some boat areas

Tim

argonautical
20-03-2003, 06:31 PM
Don't know your part of the world, but around the bayside I have found that you have to be prepared to move around. Livies will be in one spot one day and and non-existent the next (or the next week). Mullet often just seem to be cruising around and you just have to keep looking until you come upon a school. Some spots tend to be more productive and burley certainly helps, but I have found cast-netting to be very similar to normal fishing.

Its like anything, but particularly fishing, the more often I go cast-netting the luckier I become.

You don't mention if you have mastered the throwing aspect of cast-netting (I still haven't) but there are a couple of good websites with pics that demonstrate how to do it.

One more thing, if possible check out your cast net spots on low tide and take note of any snags - rocks, logs, pushbikes, shopping trolleys etc - they can really stuff up your net.

Argo

captain
21-03-2003, 01:22 PM
G/day guys, thanks for the tips, you ALL have helped me in some way.
My first throw was a laugh, I couldn't workout if I was left or right handed at first, then I threw it right on top of a oyster bed in one big lump of mono and lead.
I then hid under the bridge at picnic point for a few short throws into the shallows till I at least got some form of a ring happining.
The bread thing will happen next time and I'll be more observant at low tide for the best spots so I don't have to go for a dip to untangle it from a body or some other obstacle.
Again guys, THANKS.

P.S. I have lured Baroon-Pocket, Boondooma, Mac Donald and Borumba since the rain all with not much luck. That's my real passion, not the salt. I'm just practicing for some mullet to try for Bazza the Bli-Bli Barra.

"keep ya hands wet" the capt'in.