PDA

View Full Version : Info on fishing the Whitsundays.

twodogs
22-03-2003, 02:35 PM
8) 8) 8)G'day all fellow "fisherheads" ::) ::)
I'm planning a trip to the Whitsundays 8) 8) & could do with some help on maybe some G.P.S.marks for chasing some Billfish & tasty reef fish ;) ;). My trip is planned for early July 3 Weeks 8).
Going to tow my own boat up for the trip which is a Abolone SF 500 fitted with a Johnson 90.
I have had many comical times fishing the area's around Port Stephens & Swansea with my ever mad mate.
Any way, help for areas or gps marks will be appreciated.

Cheers,
twodogs :) :) :) :)

skippa
22-03-2003, 04:47 PM
G'day 2dogs,

Magic spot the whitties!!

I'm guessing you will be staying at Airlie? First up get a hold of the book 100 Magic Miles. It will answer most of your questions.

Be very mindful of weather conditions as they can change quickly. Calm passages can turn to down right ugly, especially with wind against tide, for a 5mt tinnie. But if you are careful it is quite safe in small boats, in the sheltered waters around the close Islands and mainland.

We towed our 5mt Haines there a couple of years ago and had a ball. Best fishing around the reefs of Hayman and Langford for bottom bashing. The boys at the time were getting Bills off the back of Hayman and Whitsunday Islands, although conditions were not good enough for our boat. Get across to Nara Inlet, Macona Inlet and Gulnare for good sheltered fishing, but just watch crossing the Passage if there's wind against tide.

It would also be worth a try up north a bit, at Dingo beach. A lot quieter than out from Airlie and the main islands.

Damn, wish I was going too.........

Cheers,
Skippa 8)

krazyfisher
24-03-2003, 04:47 AM
yes you must go to whitehaven beach to have a fish I will be going there when I get a good weekend ;D. Two dogs when are you going?

twodogs
24-03-2003, 05:16 AM
;) ;) ;)G"day to all,
Thanks for the replies, I plan to arrive in Arlie Beach on the 8th of July & staying for a few weeks 8) 8). We have 3 families all towing boats & will be using the Gateway Island resort/caravan park as our home base for our stay.
Krazyfisher i had a 12 month stay in Mackay a few years back & many a great time fishing around the area.
:D :D Cant wait to start this great little adventure, just hoping the weather gods smile upon us

Cheers to all,
;) ;) ;) twodogs

krazyfisher
24-03-2003, 09:30 AM
win - ter ??? winter what is winter ;D

two dogs send me a pm when it is getting closer I will dig up some gps points for you

kc
25-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Hi Twodogs!,

I live in airlie & have fished all round here for just over 20 years (even get to work summers as a barra guide). Give me an email direct (kc@whitsunday.net.au) and I will arrange to meet you when you get up here and give you a good run through of area and options. Usually plenty of Spanish around in July & you can always get a feed of trout. Bring good charts (or buy them up here and the "100 magic miles" is pretty $$$ but worth its weight in gold &or trout fillets (about the same per ounce these days)

Cheers mate

KC

PS. July can be pretty #@^% windy