PDA

View Full Version : fishkill in Cabbage Tree Creek, Shornecliffe

rick k
27-03-2003, 07:09 PM
The local rag, 'Northside Chronicle' today had a short story about numerous fish and crabs being killed in Cabbage Tree Creek. According to the report, not too sure why, may have been termite poison (chlorpyrifos?).

I suppose the cause is gunna be a bit of a mystery when there is a sewerage treatment plant on the creek, and lots of houses and some agriculture in the catchement. Oh well.

Lucky_Phill
28-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Strange, in the last few days, some fellas ( no names here ), have been gettin their bag / bucket limit of prawns in the creek, in about an hour.

??? ;)

webby
28-03-2003, 04:52 PM
Its to do with all that nutrietions ?? those planes drop as they come into land ;D

The_Walrus
28-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Hi Fishtime,

Why termite poison?

Have the kills been reported to DPI Fisheries and EPA??

I know there is a new development at the top of the creek, I wonder if it's coming from there.

It would be interesting to obtain water samples on a regular basis and have them tested.

Luc

rick k
29-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Hey Luc,

You know me and where I work, and I know you and where you work and while we both sample bullsh!t from time to time I don't think we sample water. I only know what I read in the paper.

Re the prawns, well, the fisho in the local shopping centre has 'nana's for $13/kg, pity he seems to mix up the new stock with the oldies, otherwise, how do I explain 25% of them having black heads and the rest ok, despite preservative 220?

Rick K

The_Walrus
30-03-2003, 06:14 AM
Hi Rick,

I'm thinking that there must be a mob that's interested in water quality and if so, can we fisho's get suitable kits to collect sample for analysis.

With the recent rain there's been a glut of prawns.

Makes you wonder wonder what else got washed into the water?

Luc

caveman
30-03-2003, 10:40 AM
dont get the DPI or the EPA to test the water , the cause will be lack of oxygen ::) ::) ::) ::)

rick k
01-04-2003, 09:05 PM
well. Downfall creek runs into cabbage tree, (I fink) and there is a downfall ck catchment group.

The trouble with water testing in places like Cabbage Tree is that the stuff isn't going to hang around because of the tides, and given the yachties and the turdery and everything else in the catchment, I reckon so much stuff has gone in there over the decades, trying to pick one poison out of that cocktail would be impossible. And Bramble Bay is supposed to be the most toxic/degraded bit of the bay.

Maybe that's why the prawns were cheap; just scooped 'em off the surface.

The_Walrus
02-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Hi Caveman,

I would not trust any testing by DPI or EPA unless backed by test from an independent (i.e. not government funded/supported) body.

Luc