PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Harbour NEW Arifical Reefs

Jewmaster
02-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Does anyone have the marking for the 3 new reefs near east point, They where announced on the weekend on saturdays or sundays paper but they didn;t give any specific info, This is to be expected with the Nt news as it isn't a croc attack or someone being stung by a stinger so it isn;t front page news.

I have visted most of the NT Governmetns Intranet and Internet pages and can find no info on the reefs, also to be expected.

So could someone in the know let me know, than we'll all know and it will all be good.

Worste part is they where designed for Small boat anglers and they put them in the roughest part of the harbour, I have a 4.3M tinnie with a 40hp mariner and I don;t like going out that way at all as it gets rough and nasty with rollers from different directions. Anyway, will have to give it a go if I can find the details.

Ron_Collins
02-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Hi Jewmaster

I don't have the marks, but recerational fisheries officer Phil Hall, who's with their equivalent of our Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, would be able to point you in the right direction.

Unfortunately I don't have Phil's contact phone number either, so you've still got a bit of work to do.

I can say that Phil is a top bloke who helped me enormously on my first barra foray in the Harbour.

Hope that helps a little. Ron Collins.

Jewmaster
02-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Thanks for ther eply mate, I will look him up in the government phone list.

Jewmaster
02-04-2003, 08:48 AM
THE STORY IS :
These are not New reefs ???, the key point that was trying to be delivered was that commercial fising isn't allowed in the area anymore to free it up for recreational activites. :-*

The Points Are :
Rick Mills ;D
12 18.451 - S, 130 48.872 - E Created 1998
Truck Tipper :D
12 17.979 - S, 130 50.370 - E Created 1999
Bottle Wash ::)
12 18.140 - S, 130 51.776 - E Created 1996

If you have any other markings of interest for a small boat owner for the Darwin Harbour, Please share

Jewmaster
04-04-2003, 04:32 AM
MY mistake the reefs are actualy around Lee Point not East point

Muzzy
04-04-2003, 08:48 AM
alls they did was shut fenton patches down to the pros me thinks...

Bottle washers is the goods at times, get good macks out that way durring the dry. Anglers reef which is closer in is just as good I reckon if there aint to many boats there. It is also a shorter trip home if it turns to snot.

Other wise if you be after jew fish try the reefs out from of shady camp. there is a shallow one near the mouth and a deeper one just outside. I'm sure you have heard people yapping about them in the tackle stores.

Town hall in middle arm is the goods also at night for the odd jew and snappers (sadletail, goldern, and trickies).

If you are after GPS way pionts go buy your self a N.T fish finder, has heaps and heaps.

There are also the old crab claw island jetty reefs out from of crab claw island it self. Just use your sounder to find them out off the beach. I aint been able to source any gps marks for them, mainly cause I dont use a gps only land marks...

For trevs and that try old man rock in the mornings when she is flat as a tack. You see them school and bounce the surface, also around the doctors gully aera.

Other than that I reckon small boats should stay up the arms and bash the rock bars (west arm good for jacks), get more fish and alot moe comfy. We dont get big swell this way as you know its very very rolly...

Jewmaster
04-04-2003, 08:54 AM
I will get you my GPS marking for the Crab Claw Jetty, It was broken up into 3 sections and only one section is well known, I have marks for 2 of the sections but Im still trying to earn the third marking off a fishing mate of mine. Have to take him out there to get the mark, The jetty fishes really well, and the barra around knife island are great.

About 400m of the boatramp at Dundee Beach is a small pinnale in about 12feet of water, we pick up nice Golden Snapper every time we stop on it, people must think we are crazy to stop so close to the boat ramp but most people fly out to the jew hole and stuff.