PDA

View Full Version : Ring netting rules

MICHAELG
03-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Was wondering if the new rules have come into force. If I remember correctly(?) they should have started this month, after it was deferred from last year.

Lucky_Phill
03-04-2003, 12:14 PM
As far as I am concerned, the new regs are in for pro's as of 1 / 04 / 2003.

I will however confirm this with DPI & QFS and post reply.

Lucky_Phill
03-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Can't confirm at this stage, but it appears the regs are in at the end of this month.

Will confirm Thursday 3rd April, here

bugman
03-04-2003, 02:29 PM
Guys,

I can confirm that the ring netting amnesty is in force until the end of April.

May 1 - no ring netting for spotties - unless the Opposition is successful in getting amendments to the legislation changed in the petition they've put before the House.

Don't get me started on this but there will no be a full debate in parliament on the Spottie RIS and everything else that was labeled in with it in about 3 weeks times. The Government can now choose to make changes to certain sections if it wants to appease certain sections - or use its numbers to defeat any changes.

However if any government minister have a problem with the regs .. ie they've had a visit from local commercial guys - here's there chance to lobby the Govt to allow changes through.

Probably unlikely - but the total ban on spottie mackeral netting is not 100% guaranteed yet.

Bugman

Spaniard_King
03-04-2003, 03:16 PM
gawd I hope they ban em :(

most of there fish go to the cat food companies :o

jaybee
03-04-2003, 06:13 PM
I can remember reading not all that long ago about a Seafood distributor who just won a multi million dollar export deal, wonder where the seafood is going to come from, Mr Beattie give the place big raps
cheers

jaybee
03-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Here it is
29 January 2003

QLD AIMING FOR MORE SUCCESS STORIES LIKE SAM'S: BEATTIE

Premier Peter Beattie said he wants to see more Queensland firms like Sam's Seafood competing successfully in global markets.

Mr Beattie said Sam's new $4.5 million cold storage facility which he opened in Brisbane today will lead to the company deriving 50 per cent of its income from exports within two years.

"Sam's innovative approach to business and its use of the latest technology exemplifies what the Smart State is all about," Mr Beattie said.

"Sam's has grown from a small, family company to a world class operation employing 330 people.

"I want more companies to follow Sam's lead and pursue opportunities in overseas markets because ultimately that means more jobs for Queenslanders.

"Exports already account for one in five jobs overall and one in four jobs in Queensland's regions."

Mr Beattie said Sam's expansion was partly due to the trade and investment mission he led to the United Kingdom and Germany in October last year, in which Sam's participated.

"Following that mission, Sam's established a base in the UK and will begin exporting seafood sourced from Queensland and other Australian locations to the UK shortly.

"Queensland's reputation as a clean, green food producer was a key factor in Sam's gaining entry to the UK market.

"Exports to the UK are expected to generate 18 million dollars in income next year for the Queensland company.

"I want to congratulate Sam's on its new venture which could lead to similar operations in New Zealand, China and the United States.

"Next week, I will lead a trade and investment mission to India and the Middle East and I hope that trip will result in more export success stories for Queensland firms," Mr Beattie said.

Media Contact: Anne Delaney (07)3224 4500

bugman
04-04-2003, 02:43 PM
I hope they ban them too.

Just out of interest though Spaniard, did you know they were getting $10 a kilo for them whole this season - don't think they were going for catfood.

Bugman

Lucky-Phill
04-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Maybe so Brett, but the pro's don't like gettin them toooo big. The market is a bit wary due to Ciguatera situation, and therefore don't usually want fish over 10kg.

But, fish at 10kg @ $10 /kg = good money. The pro will usually dong 5 - 10 spanish a morning. When they can get out. ??? ;)