PDA

View Full Version : Tide Variations

SteveCan
28-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Is there some kind of database of tide times and variations at different locations? I want to know accurate tide times for the Jumpinpin bar and Moreton Island. Is this info available on the net?

Cheers
Steve

Nugget
28-03-2003, 06:15 PM
I find the best place to get the info is in the back of the tide book.
I might add that info to my web page next up date as we've had a few people ask.

Dave ><>

Wesley_Pang
29-03-2003, 12:16 AM
Steve,

"The Offical Tide Tables & Boating Safety Guide 2003" published by Queensland Transport has the tides for all the major ports in QLD and the variations from major ports. This is avaliable from newsagents

Where on Moreton?

Tangalooma -0:30 HW -0:40 LW
Bulwer -0:25 HW -0:30LW from the Brisbane Bar.

Here a link to the National Tide Facility at Flinder Uni which will give you the tides for the Brisbane Bar.
http://www.ntf.flinders.edu.au/TEXT/TIDES/tides.html

Wes

Wes

SteveCan
29-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys - Guess I am too slack to go and BUY a book with tide times in it. I always use the internet and of course they don't publish the location variations :-/

Prolly better get myself down to the newsagent I suppose....

Thanks
Steve.

yockman
02-04-2003, 04:38 AM
Hi Steve Can,
There's a very good freeware programme called Dr Tides, if you do a google search, it should come up. I find it v. useful and better than any tide book.
Cheers,
Yockman

Big_Muddie
04-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Yockman,

Can you post a URL for this (it may be in the software help file - if there is one)?

I did a Google search and had no luck.

Thanks.

SteveCan
04-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Same here Actually.

I did look into the back of the Tide book at the newsagent - a single page with all the info you need - Shame I cant find it on the net yet.

I will get it though! and when I do I will post.

Cheers
Steve

TonyM
04-04-2003, 05:56 PM
I couldn't find it either - I spent a lot of time trying to find tide software suitable for use in Aus a while back - unfortunately all the programs I saw don't work for most Aus ports due to the fact that the Australian Government and NTF at Flinders Uni deliberately withold the constants required for each port that you need to do this accurately.

In all other western countries in the world (other than Aus and the UK) this info is available freely in the public domain :-(

I was going to write some tide based software myself however without the constants for each of the major ports you are wasting your time.

Cheers
Tony

Big_Muddie
04-04-2003, 06:54 PM
Tony,

I have some Tide prediction software - careware - that includes the constants for Australia. You can find it at http://vps.arachnoid.com/JTides/

That URL is case sensitive BTW. Make sure you read the DL and install part - you may have to also DL the Java Runtime Engine.

I have it running and it provides fairly accurate predictions for Brisbane Bar. The heights are provided only to 1 decimal place, and the times may be out by a few minutes when compared to the tide books - but if you want to go beyond the tide books currently published it's quite good.

Like you I'm on the lookout for tidal prediction s/w hence my interest in Yockman's post.

TonyM
05-04-2003, 05:49 AM
Thanks Michael,

I just d/loaded it and the accuracy seems reasonable. For Urangan (Hervey Bay) it's generally within 5-10 mins which is far more accurate than the harmonics data for Australian ports in any other software I've seen (other than NTF's proprietry app)

Well done!

Nugget
05-04-2003, 07:34 AM
The link below has a page of tidal variations as well.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/nugget/predictions.htm

Dave ><>