PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick Heads Fishing

adamleah
04-04-2003, 09:35 AM
I am staying down at Brunswick Heads for a week from next Monday and was planning on doing some shore based fishing...
Is there anyone who can give me some tips on spots, baits, times etc it would be of great help.
I have a haines signature but wasnt really keen on taking it down or out of the bar as I don't know the area at all.. would it be worthwhile to take the boat down just to fish the river????
Also I have never fished NSW before ..Is it legal to throw a castnet for bait and are all legal sizes the same as up here in qld.

Thanks in advance for your help

Adam

Lachie1
04-04-2003, 12:36 PM
G'day mate, as far as i know it is illegal to use a cast net (and many other nets) in NSW. There are a few size differences that i know of and plenty more i don't know about. Whitting have to be 27cm, Bream 25cm, flathead 33(i think) and i cant remember the rest of em. Some good places to fish? Try near the oyster leases at dawn and dusk drifting up the river from the rock groyne near the oysters to up past the bridge is good, most of the sand flats are also good and fresh bait is the go. ;) It mwy be worth taking the boat although i wouldn't go out over the bar as it can be extremely dangerous at times, and also one of the creeks has a sewerage problem so don't eat the fish outta it! :P :P :'( BUt the main river is fine as far as i know.

Cheers, Lachie

NeilD
04-04-2003, 03:05 PM
Hi Adam.
The north wall is pretty good for tailor and jew. The rocks just to the north fish well but are a pretty wet proposition. I have seen nice jacks taken around the rock walls, oyster leases and trawler berths.
Cheers Neil

jaybee
04-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Adam my brother lives down there, pity he is up mooloolaba for a few more weeks or i could have put u onto him. There are some top spots in the river and if you feel like wading up the sth arm on a low tide and fish and walk back the run in. Look for the holes for bream and flathead. some good muddies also being caught. Where the sth arm runs into the river anchor as close to the shallows on the opposite bank on the run in, berly heavy you will pick up some thumper bream. hope this helps
cheers.

mono
06-04-2003, 05:46 PM
G'Day Adam, Mate i live just opposite the boat harbour and can give you the run down when you get here. Just go into the fish Co-op where all the trawlers are tied up and ask them to point you to my house (pretend you know me) If I'm out chartering i am normally back at the marina between 2 and 3pm. I dont want to give my phone number on this site for obvious reasons. If it's not too much of a hassle I would be bringing your boat with you as the fishing has been excelllent just off-shore! The bar is not as bad as everyone makes out if you use common sence. Come and have a chat and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.
Lets hope your ratchet keeps screamin'. Mono

imported_admin
06-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Adam

No you can't use cast nets in NSW. Size and bag limit differ a bit to up here. You also need a Fishing Licence in NSW.

Go to the NSW Fisheries site, link below, and check out the rules and regs before you go down there. Maybe print out a copy to take with you.

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/

adamleah
07-04-2003, 05:04 AM
Thanks for all the info guys,
I am looking up the NSW site now and will have to come and visit you Mono early next week.
It has been decided that I wont be taking the boat now so I might have to come along for one of your charters for a fish outside " that is If the wallet allows for it"

Time to go pack

thanks all again

Adamleah

Sean
07-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Hi there have fished under the hwy bridge one morning. there is shitloads of herring there in the morning and also quite a few Trevally, only fished for about 15mins one morning on the way to work and hooked up once on a fairly small trevor but the hook came out, good luck though.