PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Keppel this weekend

loboy
03-04-2003, 02:41 AM
I am off to fish Keppel Bay and surrounds this weekend on a 6 metre boat. Everyone looks to me for advice and I have no knowledge of the area. Can anyone help with suggestions or GPS coords? or point me in the direction of where I can find out. Thank you in anticipation Loboy

Kerry
03-04-2003, 04:13 PM
I think I'd be reviewing the weather this week-end.

Cheers, Kerry.

loboy
03-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Thanks Kerry, I was looking at the long term forecasts and thought it looked pretty good but the high seems to have accelerated across Aust. Not being totally dedicated there is always golf!!!

rick k
03-04-2003, 06:51 PM
I am supposed to be going up there this weekend too, but the weather report on the tv news tonight did not sound promising.

loboy
04-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Thanks Fishtime for your response, it sounds like it might be rough. Have you any ideas for where to go? I only know one spot (no coords) off Iwasaki or whatever it is these days. Just a bit of gravel but I have only caught sharks there! regards Loboy

Kerry
04-04-2003, 04:29 AM
For real-time live weather (wind) conditions around the Keppels you could try ringing 0409 392007. The system is free-to-air but is a mobile call.

It won't tell you what it's going to do (that's a forecast ;D) but it will provide actual (and recent past) observations without having to get there to find out.

Cheers, Kerry.

loboy
04-04-2003, 02:02 PM
Kerry I am going there anyway, its the boys behaving badly weekend and I can then get a nowcast. Otherwise another form of frustration chasing the little white ball. Do you know if there is a booklet written like the Hervey Bay Bundy region? At least it gives you a head start! regards Dean

mackmauler
04-04-2003, 02:23 PM
There is reportedly a few barra in the rivers running into the bay at present, looking at the forecast, could be worth a try :)

escafeld
04-04-2003, 02:54 PM
This may be a bit off thread but a friend of mine is visiting me from the UK, and we are going up to keppel island next week around 6th or 7th april. I want to take him out on a charter to catch some real aussie fish.Do you know of any opperators in the Rocky Yepoon area thanx.

Kerry
04-04-2003, 04:06 PM
Fishing booklet ???, I suppose there would be but something I've never really looked into. There used to be a publication "Capricorn Coast Fishing Maps" (or some similar name) by one of the tackle shop owners in Yeppoon but he has since sold so not sure if the new owners retained the rights?

Best suggestion is probably to try the tackle shops.

As for charters, well there's not a lot of the basic fishing charters either (off the top of my head) but there are several of the 7-10 day extended affairs to the reef (in season), which is 90-100nm offshore.

Cheers, Kerry.

loboy
05-04-2003, 01:25 AM
It seems there has not been a lot done with the Keppel Bay and surrounds as far as info is concerned. With all the islands etc about there has to be someone in the charter business one would think. I will check at the tackle shops when I am down there this weekend and get back to this site. Saturday doesnt look too bad if the trough moves slowly!

loboy
08-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Did you get up to Keppel, Fishtime? For once I was right about the trough and it did not arrive until Sunday. Conditions on the bay Saturday were outstanding but I didnt catch any fish!! Sunday was definitely a golf day.