PDA

View Full Version : dry ice, ruin food?

Fisherman02
11-04-2003, 03:41 PM
hey fellas
does dry ice spoil food? Would it spoil bait, fish?
cheers jack

Lucky-Phill
11-04-2003, 03:56 PM
dry ice should be wrapped in paper and then in a sealed plastic bag, so that NO AIR or Water can touch it. Will last for days. Add party or block ice on top.

For best results, place wet tongue on bare dry ice ;D ::) :o

Fisherman02
11-04-2003, 04:11 PM
hey phil
mate no i will not try the tongue thing from past experience :P
why the ice on top? Doesn't the dry ice keep everything nice and cold anyways, we were gonna chip bits off and put them in our bait buckets to keep the pillies nice and fresh we were gonna wrap them up in newspaper anyways
cheers jack

peterbo3
11-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Evening 02,
When you buy your dry ice saw it in half (wood saw is fine) then re-wrap both blocks. Keep one block intact to keep everything cold & use the other for smashing up. It is easy to break up using a screwdriver for a chisel. Make sure you wear some sort of eye protection as very small bits of dry ice can instantly fuse themselves to the moist surface of your eye with painful results. Gloves are also a must when picking up dry ice. The other way to go is to buy pellets. These are available at the major ice retailers but may have to be ordered in advance.

chad
11-04-2003, 11:08 PM
hi guys,

i deal with dry ice every day as part of my job.
the party ice will keep longer and it also keeps the dry ice from thawing out alot quicker.

as for the dry ice with the fish. its gonna make ur fish rock hard mate.

in general the dry ice wont make any difference to the quality of ur food but be WARNED. do not put the stubbies straight on to it.
its gonna explode 100 times quicker than in a freezer.
how long you going away for mate?

couple of days ull need about a kilo of solid dry ice brick.
also be sure to thaw ur meat out about 1 - 2 hrs before cooking because it WILL FREEZE.
so there you go mate.

have fun.
oh yeah BRISBANE PARTY ICE or SUPPLIES is pretty cheap.
its either ICE or SUPPLIES cant remember which it is.

cheers chad ><>

Slates
12-04-2003, 07:19 AM
Yeah, I work with it a bit here (CSIRO) too.
Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide.
Therefore:
Do not use it in confined spaces - it will suffocate you by displacing the oxygen! http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm13.gif
It's temperature is approximately -80 C so it will blow your stubbies up, freeze your T-bones and stick to your tongue (and other appendages) so gloves are a good idea.

Most frozen gasses expand to 600 - 800 times their volume so taping up an esky with dry ice can be dangerous if left for long periods.

Best used for keeping meat and perisables frozen for a long road trip.

It will not spoil food - if anything, it will keep it fresher than regualr freezing as most bacteria cannot survive in CO2.

Cheers, Slates

mackmauler
12-04-2003, 07:31 AM
Ive always blamed it for sending open milk off ??? I don't put any perishables in the box with it unless they are in sealed containers.

Fisherman02
12-04-2003, 10:06 AM
well we were just gonna use it as normal ice as it seems to last a long time and doesn't leave a puddle at the bottom of the esky. It would mostly be for keeping fish fresh for 3 days two nights and maybe the odd bottle of water. I just don't want the party ice melting the first night
cheers jack
p.s will be in live chat tonight at 7pm