PDA

View Full Version : Nets

escafeld
12-04-2003, 03:03 PM
I have just had the best four days on Great Keppel Island, indulging in a bit of snorkelling,relaxing and of course fishing. Between my mate and I we caught about 50 fish in two hours, mainly good sized dart. I'm not trying to brag but just give you a feel for the pristine environment we were privileged to be in.
>:( I became pretty angry when I witnessed a couple of anglers with a long net dragging piles of fish up onto the beach collecting what they needed for bait and leaving the rest on the sand to die, some of which were the highly colourful coral fish.
If it means a total ban on all nets to stop this useless slaughter I will gladly throw my 7ft cast net in the garbage now.
Am I alone in this or are the any like minded people out there.

Fisherman02
12-04-2003, 03:16 PM
thats just plain stupidity, i mean how can someone take a net out and just start dragging fish in like that?!? Especially in such a beautiful environment like you have described if i ever see anything like that ill give them a piece of my mind and i urge others to do so as well. Otherwise we may need a boat in the future to go fishing as all the fish landbased have been killed. Wasteful bloody wasteful
cheers jack

Kerry
12-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Pristine environment ??? well some say that about a lot of places.

But apart from that, how long was this net, who were these "anglers", what were these highly colourful coral fish and where were they actually dragging this net especially in relation to what coral is there.

Cheers, Kerry.

J_Large
12-04-2003, 07:15 PM
where at kepple where you fishing. i'd be interested to know as i live in Yeppoon... Strangely enough i've never been over there to fish specifically.

rosella
12-04-2003, 09:15 PM
Hi J_Large....i used to live in STATUE BAY....long to return to the makeral at ROSETTA HEADS....are they still catching them there??? check out a site called ...fishSA.com.au ..and the chat board in relation to netting.

cheers......rosella

escafeld
12-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Fished putney beach one morning caught 27 dart. The next day I fished Leekes beach and took a young kid with me he had fished Scotland for three days with his dad and a friend, couldnt even catch a cold. The fish in the pic is the first he ever caught. The first of 17 that morning. Had to drag him away from the beach :D

All fish were returned. :)