PDA

View Full Version : Sea Sickness

Lucky-Phill
10-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Seasickness

Most people, don't get seasick on boats on enclosed waters such as Sydney Harbour and around the Whitsunday Islands but when they go offshore they may get a bit queasy and lethargic, especially in windy conditions with high seas. Some people never get seasick, others just need to step on a boat and they are very ill.

If you get car sick, you'll probably be seasick too. If you can read in a car without feeling queasy, chances are you won't get seasick.

Seasickness happens when the body, inner ear, and eyes all send different signals to the brain, resulting in confusion and queasiness.

Hints on how to avoid seasickness

The evening prior to boarding avoid alcohol, fatty and spicy foods and get a good sleep.

If possible sleep on board the night before departure.

Read medication directions - you are advised to take most seasickness medication before boarding. Taking them the day before will also help your body to adjust and you will know if you are going to suffer any side effects.

Never go to sea with an empty stomach.

Find the part of the boat with the least motion - usually in the centre at the back of the boat on the lower deck.

Stay in fresh air and take a few deep breaths.

Watch a fixed point on the horizon - a land point if possible.

Avoid focussing on moving objects. The more land you can see the less likelyhood there is of you being seasick, this is why most people don't get sick inshore.

Keep away from engine fumes.

Don't do any close work, look through binoculars, read a book or magazine.

Avoid cramped spaces.

Avoid anxiety and fatigue.

Occupy your mind, focusing on something other than being seasick. Catching fish, for instance ! ;D

When you first start feeling queasy eat a snack of dry savoury biscuits, ginger biscuits, bread or non acidic fruit.

Ginger and honey are recommended for settling the stomach.

Avoid fatty or salty foods.

Drink plenty of water or ginger ale. A small beer may help you relax but drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.

Talking about seasickness increases the risk ...DOH ! one in all in

If really ill, lie on your back and close your eyes. Sip water to avoid dehydration.

If you are about to vomit do so from the leeward side of the boat if safe, not the windward side. ::)

Seasickness may disappear without treatment when the brain learns to compensate for the swaying and pitching.

Remedies, including herbal, drugs, bands and patches are discussed on the following websites -

Seasickness - http://seasickness.co.uk
Worried about seasickness? Some Suggestions http://www.hmlanding.com/maldemar.htm
Gusto Charters - http://www.alaska.net/~gusto/asst.html
Travel-Ascending.com http://www.travel-ascending.com/seasick.htm
What is seasickness? http://www.jimbaughoutdoors.com/SeaSick.htm
Virtual Naval Hospital www.vnh.org/GMO/ClinicalSection/60Motionsickness.html

Hope this helps those of you, who like me, get a little green around the gills every now and again. :o ::) ??? ;)

Big_Kev
10-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the advise Dr Phil

bugman
10-04-2003, 01:51 PM
Geez Phil between spewing and sleeping do ever get time to fish when you're on a boat ;D ;D ;D

mackmauler
10-04-2003, 02:05 PM
Once your crook thats it, it only gets worse ;D Ive caught dolphin with weetbix in em lol

jaybee
10-04-2003, 02:24 PM
I usually carry a couple of cold cans of coke in the esky, if i feel queezie a few gulps a big buuurrrppp and right as rain ;D
cheers

skippa
10-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Hi Phill,

Only ever been seasick once, unfortunately it wasn't on my boat!! It was on Bill Coreton's when doing a bar crossing course. :P (great course by the way)

The guys scored me:
Gut wrenching sounds (voice) 10
Projection and direction 9.5
Burley quality (and odour) 9.5
Ability to affect others 8.5

Once I was driving, no problems and when back inside at Amity well able to down drinks and bikkies.

Been out(side) a few times since, with Kwell doing the trick taken the night before.

Cheers,
Skippa 8)

mackmauler
10-04-2003, 03:29 PM
Ill add a few tips from what ive seen, might help someone.

Don't go offshore before 730am

Don't eat much cereal before going, better off with solid foods

kwells don't work if they are in the berley, best eat them a few hours prior to going out.

seasickness is genetic ??? from what ive seen

krazyfisher
10-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Well I get sea sick all the time 1 good up chuck and all good kwells dont do much for me. My parents dont get sea sick and get this if it is rough I'm good, no wind and 1mtr swell I'm crook go figure ::)

Volvo
10-04-2003, 03:50 PM
:)Seasickness is only bad when ya feel a coupla hairs on your tounge or lips and ya feel a stinging sensation about your acehole when ya try yank em away otherwise gives the stomachebone a good cleanout ::).

Big_Kev
10-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Putting out of the harbour with the ripples splashing the side of the boat is enough to put my missus over the side. LOL

Volvo
10-04-2003, 04:17 PM
All jokes aside, when i was a youngster i got myself a job on a Trawler for Chrissy holidays once and for two whole weeks i just continuousely kept throwing up :'( all i had ta do is look at the water and ide be hollerin for Ralph and whats the other fella's name?? Orouke!!!.
After two weeks ide had enough and chucked the towel in, feck that me sez. Then i joined the Navy when old enough to and advice given to me then was its all mind over matter and if you keep tellin yourself that ;), Bingo!!! end of seasickness and exactly what i did :). Guess what?? never got seasick ever since and sometimes when still a little queezy i toss about in me noggin "Mind over matter, mind over matter :-X".
It works ;).
For some i guess ::).
One thing i do not do is turn back home and give up the days fishin if one of the crew get crook.

Lucky_Phill
10-04-2003, 04:59 PM
Yes well Skippa, 10/10 for sound.

Try this on for size.............THE SILENT SPEW !

Yes Folks, I have perfected the Silent Spew. It takes courage and concentration. Better to not let anyone else know you doing it, so as not to send them off.

The trail of bacon and eggs in the water usually tells the story though. ( where the hell did those diced carrots come from ??? ).

So here's my Challenge to all the hardened fishoes.

Next time you've been on the giggle juice or offshore and feel like calling for Ralph, try the Silent Spew. Nothing harder, 'specially when there's nothing left, and you go again ::) :o :'( :-/

Kerry
10-04-2003, 05:12 PM
"Mind over matter" has some double meanings ;D but I do think there's something in that as well.

Seen people get sick while sitting on the back of the dingy, on the beach :o with feet firmly planted on the sand. Get them up, feet still on the sand and no more sick.

Also know people who have spent all their life at sea and still get sick ???

Cheers, Kerry.

Volvo
10-04-2003, 05:27 PM
Kerry , how come your not out on the water with the way the weathers been?? or are ya on shift like yours truly??.
Been out at all??.

caveman
10-04-2003, 06:21 PM
only been deep sea fishing once and got sick 1/2 hr into trip out and was sick for rest of the trip $175 over the side at least i made the skippa laugh as he said he has never seen any one actualy turn green with seasickness, then i sat up to a big meal onshore hav'nt been game to go out since if there are any sure remedies out there send them in http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm14.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm45.gif
cheers caveman

fisho
11-04-2003, 01:38 PM
I regularly fish 40-50 km off the coast, however the only time I've been queasy was 100m off the headland! I don't believe there are many rules when it comes to seasickness. When any of my crew get crook I tell them no one has ever died from it. P.S. I don't want to know if anyone ever has! :-[

J_Large
12-04-2003, 07:20 PM
when i use to go diving as soon as i put on the wetsuit i felt sick almost immediately. this worked whether i did it before i left or when i got to the dive location.

the strange thing was, when i went out to the same places on the same boat, but not to dive (ie. no wetsuit) i never even felt queezy. at worst i'd have slight cramps in my stomach that evening.

so. another thing about seasickness is it's all in ya head. mentally.

rosella
12-04-2003, 09:06 PM
Go to your local quack and tell him you been chuckin all night....he should give you a script for STEMITEL...30 to the script...one tab on the way to the ramp is good for 6-8 hours....a lot cheaper than the so called seasick or motion sickness tabs for around $15 for 10.....

Also the silent chuck is nearly always hand in hand with the loud fart and the stinky crap.

cheers fellow sicko's.....rosella

p.s ..i get sick walking on a wet lawn. all in the head???why does my guts ache.

Kerry
13-04-2003, 04:47 AM
Kerry , how come your not out on the water with the way the weathers been?? or are ya on shift like yours truly??.
Been out at all??.

Was out Thursday, did the usual 95nm round trip. Was thinking about Today but after what the wind did early Friday it's not much fun doing that type of distance in that type of slop.

Thursday was all right, no real weather all day, by Friday morning it was already above the 13 knot mark before 6am. Even early today it was (and most of last night) it was gusting towards the 20's and still 13 odd knots early this morning. So I'll finish cleaning the boat instead.

Cheers, Kerry.

skippa
13-04-2003, 03:37 PM
G'day Phill,

The silent spew eh! Suppose I could give it a try, but I do like to share you know. ;D Well Bill sure cranked 'er up and we got moving pretty quick.

I did tell a lie though cause I do remember one other time giving Raplh a call. It was snorkling in Blue Pearl Bay up in the Whitties. I was ok on board even though it was rough, but there's one thing worse than chucking in your snorkle and thats..... eating it again then spewing out thru your snorkle and feel it land on your back waaaaaa!!!

Cheers,
Skippa 8) where's those Kwell???

scottyb
14-04-2003, 05:28 AM
reagarding this story,

from skippa

I did tell a lie though cause I do remember one other time giving Raplh a call. It was snorkling in Blue Pearl Bay up in the Whitties. I was ok on board even though it was rough, but there's one thing worse than chucking in your snorkle and thats..... eating it again then spewing out thru your snorkle and feel it land on your back waaaaaa

that is the most discasting thing i've heard of.
scottyb

Breamreeper
14-04-2003, 05:45 AM
One of the old time recipes before we had drugs for C Sickness was Bananas. Eat as many ripe bananas as you can hold normally is about 4 before you go. Take some with ya just in case. They are very high in potassium which will settle the stomach. This works.

Reeper

Dr_Dan
14-04-2003, 06:02 AM
WHAT THE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GO FISHING WITH BANANA'S!!!! Don't you know, that is the biggest sin there is in fishing!!!!! Don't let anybody tell you that bananas don't bring bad luck. A couple of years ago, was getting a heap of prawns in the drag net out on some mud flats. Went to go down the next day, had to borrow a mates drag net, and he left a note on the top, saying "good luck!!!!". Opened up the bucket, he had a bunch of bloody 'nana's in it!!!! Needless to say, we got about three bloody prawns that day!!!! Now i don't even let people bring Banana boat sunscreen onto my boat!!!!

Breamreeper
15-04-2003, 04:01 AM
I don,t think it was the Bananas mate?

Lucky_Phill
15-04-2003, 02:07 PM
Bananas and boats DO NOT MIX....end of story. >:( :P