PDA

View Full Version : Callide dam

bugman
12-04-2003, 09:44 AM
I"m off to hunt Barramundi in Callide Dam (near Biolela) next weekend.

I've never fished for barras before and have never fished in this dam.

I've got a 12 foot tinny which shall do the job and a fistful of lures.

Any help on techniques or how to fish this dam would be greatly appreciated.

Bugman

PS I've never cuaght a barra before so I'm hoping to be blooded.

mackmauler
12-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Brett, I better get this in before I confuse you tomorrow, a sick mullet or grunter looks a lot different than a sick stripey tuna ;) barra eat lures not moving often, cast out and slowly flick the rod tip and don't be in much hurry to wind the lure in. Dropping round to a few well set up camps with your tinny and tinnys might be a good move ;)

Big_Kev
12-04-2003, 03:11 PM
There's a pub in the main street of Billo that if you are there at the right time on the right tide you can get to see some white pointers. And if you get reel lucky you might even touch one. But don't get carried away by the tide or you will be to crook to fish . Thats my advice for fishin for barra at Billo.

bugman
15-04-2003, 05:06 AM
Kev,

That's the best advice I've heard in a long time. ;D

Bugman

Big_Kev
15-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Yep and in that same pub I even saw a giant clam, but we won't go there this is a family show after all.
Kev

pmartyna
17-04-2003, 04:35 PM
It's a weird little dam. Kinda feel like Mr. Burns from the simpsons might walk down from the 'power station' any second... But if you look the other way, it is dam (pardon the pun) fishy. Spent 3 hours there and got my second Barra.

It was in around 3-5 feet of water on a slow retreive with a Jarvis Walker intruder shallow diver in gold with a black back (outfished the bombers 2- zip on my bargain bin lure, thank you very much!). Caught around 11:30 am.

She is still in there as we let her go after this photo.

Haven't managed to post a full trip report before this, so thanks to all the guys who gave me advice and help.

Cheers,

Paul

Smithy
17-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Speaking of Mr. Burns and the Powerstation, how much closer can you get? This was before the dam filled up. One of 16 for the weekend.

bugman
18-04-2003, 04:03 AM
Geez,

Well I'll be blowed. They actually do catch barra there. My sister is a local and has nothing to do with fishing. When I said I was going to chase barra there she laughed at me.

Any areas of the dam work better than others guys. It seems cast and retrieve is the essence of the fishing.

Got my fair share of gold shallow divers.

Bugman

pmartyna
18-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Geeze Smithy, You did well! 16!

What were you doin to jag em?

I also heard that they get some good yellas in there. We didn't try for em, but seemed to be the talk around the boatramp when we were there. You get any?

Cheers,

Paul

pmartyna
18-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Hey Bugman, I almost forgot to mention. When in Billo, turn right just past the petrol station and there is a little bakery. they have great 'Lunch Packs'.

Definately good value for a day on the water.... Just remember the proper ratio though, two 6 packs for every lunch pack.......

Paul

Smithy
19-04-2003, 05:14 PM
Just working banks with the electric motor and casting Bombers and B52s. When we wanted something a bit deeper Richo Extractors were the go.

It will be interesting to see how the Barra dams fish next season. Once found, the fish had been in big concentrations because of the water levels. Lets hope they haven't spread far and wide.

pmartyna
19-04-2003, 06:46 PM
I wonder how much better we would have done if we had had an electric. We were motoring with a 50hp 4 stroke, so it was pretty quite, but once you stopped for a drift you had no control, and may have spooked the fish when we had to back out or nudge forward under power. Especially since the fish we caught were in 3-6 feet of water.

Gonna have to invest in an electric I think.

Paul