PDA

View Full Version : Seafood recipe help wanted

SuperMel
24-04-2003, 07:51 AM
Hi all

I desperately need recipes for clam chowder and seafood bisque using commonly available Australian seafood.

Thanks for any help.

mel

kc
24-04-2003, 11:57 AM
HI Mel,

THis makes about 6 serves

Here is a great clam chowder recipe. Personally bisque is bloody awful stuff and I won't bother with it!!
Make a litre of fish stock using fish heads, onion tops, celery, bay leaves and pepper corns with enough salt to season, simmer for 20 to 30 minutes then strain and set aside.

Sweat off 1 large fine diced onion and 1 large fine diced potato in 4 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 oz buter.

After sweating off (slow cooking..don't allow to brown) add enough flour to make a roux (about 4 oz) and cook for about 3 minutes over low to medium heat. Add fish stock and stir well till a good medium thick soup base is made (moisture from clams will thin this out later so don't worry if it seems too thick).
Add another fine diced potato and simmer for 10 minutes, add sufficent clams (I really like whole pippies), a liberal amount of chopped parsley and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
Ad a good spalsh of cream, adjust seasoning to taste and serve with some crusty bread and sprikle with chopped parsley.

It doesn't get any better (I use this in my restaurant and it goes OFF!!)

Cheers

KC

gruntahunter
24-04-2003, 12:45 PM
i bet it would go off if yuo left it out in the hot queensland sun kc. have made that almost exactly with pippies but u must remember to put them in fresh water twice to spew out the sand
also add some mudcrab meat in as well for an even more succulent taste.