PDA

View Full Version : TRIP OF A LIFE TIME

caveman
22-04-2003, 03:34 PM
HI ALL JUST TALKING TO MY BRO AND WE ARE GOING TO CUNNANARA, WHATS THE BEST TIME TO GO ANY TIME AFTER MAY IS GOOD FOR BOTH OF US SO ANY INFO WOULD BE APPREACIATED

CHEERS CAVEMAN

staggy
22-04-2003, 06:56 PM
G-day Caveman,
Do you mean Kununurra in WA. If so you will be in for some great barra action on the Ord River. While I lived up there I only ever fished off the bank. A dozen barra for an afternoon was considered average. Biggest one I landed was 17lb. Lost plenty of other bigger ones. Id leave your trip till the warmer months of the year as I found the fish a lot harder to catch from around July through to end of September. But hey Im no Rex Hunt and I only fished were every other boatless person fished. I seen a couple of 40lb plus fish caught from further down stream. Live bait and lures both seemed to work as well as each other. Now that I have a boat maybe I should return for an other shot at them. On your way to Kununurra you will pass the Victoria River in NT.
Iv never fished this river but it looks like heaven to me. If you fish the lower Ord you will need a permit. You can get one from the BP service station. Wyndham is about an hour further along the road from Kununurra and it has an all weather boat ramp into the west arm of the Ord. Beware of the mud geckoes, they are everywere.
Hope this helps.
Staggy.

caveman
23-04-2003, 04:17 PM
thanks staggy sorry about the spelling but yes i do mean WA
thanks for the info

Heath
23-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Hope you fill that nice big esky. ;)

Tell you what, its amazing how big them Camry back seats are :o :o :o 8)

caveman
25-04-2003, 01:25 PM
heath i heard you had a bit of fun gettin it in the car ;D :D ;D :D

scottem
25-04-2003, 02:58 PM
caveman,
from kununara head out the gibb river road and fish the banks of the pentacost river there is some big barra that live around the crossing there or head to the right along the river from the crossing go through a couple of gates and find the river bank again you should find more fish.if you have a boat the victoria river is definatley worth a stopover some XOS barra live in that river.get some info from the vic river roadhouse before venturing out they should be a great help.
happy travels
scotty