PDA

View Full Version : Currumbin Creek

Damien
09-04-2003, 12:31 PM
G'day All,
I am new to your bulletin board. I'm heading up to sunny QLD next week from Melbourne for a weeks holiday with the family. I am staying at Palm Beach and intend to wet a line in Currumbin Creek each morning some time near dawn prior to spending the day with the rugrats. (and hopefully at dusk a few times also)

Can anyone offer me any tips eg: rigs, bait, species to target, hot spots etc...

I'd appreciate any advice.
cheers
Damien.

SteveCan
09-04-2003, 12:51 PM
Hi Damien,

Welcome to the site - Last year I lived at Palm beach across the road from the creek and have dropped a line in the mornings many a time. I have had most success targeting whiting just east of the boat ramp in the creek using either yabbies (pumped on site) or beach worms.

I have also taken flathead and Tailor on lures in the lagoon near the mouth of the creek. I was using hardbodies at the time and I would be seriously interested in seeing how soft plastics might perform. There are a few Bream and Trevally in the creek as well but apart from undersize specimens I have not had the luck.

If you have a beach rig, walk over the dunes and fish the beach in front of the Surf CLub for Tailor and Bream, use small pillies, anchovies or whitebait. There are whiting there too. Generally speaking you will get a better size fish and more comitted bites off the beach.

Either way - it's a lovely spot and watching the sun come up at Currumbin is a treat. I hope you have a great Holiday.

Cheers
Steve :)

Heath
09-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Absolutly magnificent time to be comming to the Goldcoast. There are good gutters along Currumbin & Palm beaches at the moment. Dart & Tailor will be your most common fish about. Relax in the morning & watch the fleet of mackerel fishermen head out to Palmbeach reef. With the good tides in the morning ( high tides ) there will be plenty of water on the bar which means just about every man & his dog will be out.

For Tailor a trace of about 50cm with gang hooks & a running sinker to the swivel will do the trick. For Dart try a bit lighter rig using pipis which can be gathered onsite doing the Pipi twist.
You also have Currumbin & Tallebudgera creeks at your desposal. Bream, Flathead etc using common rigs & bait.
Enjoy your break & hope you get a few.

Damien
10-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Gents,
thanks for the feedback its greatly appreciated. :) I'll be travelling pretty light, fishing tackle-wise so I wont have my surf gear with me so the inlet will be the go by the sounds. I will have some lures and keen to give the soft plastics a good go. I'll let you know how I went upon my return.

Damien.

Heath
10-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Currumbin is a bit shallow at the moment, only 1.5m deep on average.

best bet would be the groin on the south side of Tallebudgera. At least you can get to some deep water. Saw some snodger Bream landed there last year. Big deep sea Bream with the blue nose & some tailor.

Damien
30-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Just a note to say thanks for the advice provided guys -

unfortunately I am back to reality, :'( back at work in Melbourne. Spent the week before last at Palm Beach - Initially only got a few small bream in the creek, so as per Steve's advice and the guy in the local tackle shop (The Boat Shed in Currumbin) fished off the beach most mornings not far from the mouth of the creek with instant success. There are good gutters present and light gear was adequate. You were literally throwing your line in at your feet and I caught some sensational flathead, along with Dart and Bream using whitebait. Also used fresh beach worms and pippies and caught some nice whiting.

Cheers
Damien.

landy1
30-04-2003, 10:19 AM
G'day
glad to hear you took home some good memories. I remember catching my first flattie on my first rod ($12 from K-mart) in currumbin creek when i was a kid.
cheers
Michael