PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Reefs

blaze
30-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Hi all
Doing some research on artifcial reefs, hoping to get some goverment funding for this proposal. The Circular Head Sportfishing Club hope to put a reef about 3km out side the Duck Bay eustaury in about 10 metres of water. There is about a 3.5 metre tide. Can people with experience with fads please post replies with info, positive and negitive. The thoughts are at this stage is to use tyres, possible a enviromently friendly way of disposal.
cheers
blaze

bugman
01-05-2003, 04:35 AM
Blaze,

I've never had much to do with creating any reefs etc but I have spoke to a couple of people that have and have dived a couple.

I seem to remember somthing about the Harry Atkinson Artificial reef here in Moreton Bay and its pile of tyres. I think the verdict was that they were the worst form of structure for marine life because they didn't promote coral or crustacean growth.

They recently built a new one down on the Gold Coast made of big bags full of sand (I think). It was more to promote a good wave break than anything but it holds great baitfish and good tailor etc that feed on the baitfish. See if you could tow out some old boats and sink. That would make it more interesting for fishos and divers but in reality any structure at all is better than none.

Bugman

blaze
01-05-2003, 05:16 AM
Hi Bugman
This thing is starting to move quicker than i thought it would, must be some thing the gov want to do as there is a proposed on site visit with the department on 5 july
cheers
blaze

Kerry
01-05-2003, 06:09 AM
How's the liability issues as I thought I saw somewhere that some of the fishing (or was it diving clubs) down south have had to remove FADS due to the insurance costs/issues?

That was one issue with the indecisions with the Brisbane.

Cheers, Kerry.

krazyfisher
01-05-2003, 03:08 PM
hi blaze
a couple of things
1.if it is a reef under 10m needs nav aids
2.it was a gov. promise to create art. reefs
3.you can't use tyres, cars
4.it comes under the ocean dumping laws
5.getting stuff for the reef is the least of your conserns
6.if it goes through and it is outside of the set area you have to pay to get it removed
7. if it moves or is bad for the enviroment you have to remove it
just a few things to think about send me a pm if you need more info as I am on a group involed in trying to get a reef our problem is it is within great barrier's area but let me know if I can help

clutter
01-05-2003, 04:41 PM
I'd have to dispute as to wether you need nav buoys under 10m. This is due to the fact that the buoys on the Woodgate artificial were removed relatively recently. As I understand it, they will not be replaced as there is now a total ban on trawling (believe that to be the case) in the area and they were only installed initially for nav aids for the pros.

As for stuff to dump, clay pipes are great, anything concrete also but try to stay away from metal objects as they break down relatively quickly. I've dived on reefs with tractor tyres before and they have been great, they are a very good device to use when collecting anchors. If you drop one in try pulling the bugger out and see what I mean.

Don't know the area proposed but if there is a river or creek near, try to keep the reef a good distance from the mouth to prevent sanding over from the creek flow. It doesn't have to be a big creek or river to cause you problems.

Cheers, Clutter.

blaze
01-05-2003, 05:01 PM
Hi all
thanks for the info from everybody so far, will be looking at the issues that have been raised, I would hope the end result (the fad) would be owned by the gov.probable won't know to much until we meet with the dept on the 5th. realisticly I would like to be able to present them with the positives of fads at that time but also be aware of the negs
cheers
blaze

clutter
01-05-2003, 06:25 PM
One thing about arties, regardless of what gets put down, once there is a base, it is amazing how quickly the marine life grows and fish come around. Within 3 months we were able to catch small reefies and mackeral where previously it had just been bare sand for miles.

Hope it all goes well, its the type of project the governments should be encouraging around the country.

Cheers, Clutter.