PDA

View Full Version : weird catch

jewies
24-04-2003, 04:48 AM
tell me what your weirdest catch is. I was fishing in the brissie river with my 7 year old cousin for bream. i caught one and as i was reeing it in i snagged some guys crab pot and must have torn right through the pot i had a huge piece of the pot on the hook. luckily the guy wasnt there.So we left and went down the river a bit.

shawn
24-04-2003, 05:28 AM
G'day Jewies,
Fitzy and I were chasing Saratoga at night,up at Cania Dam.And I caught a bat mid flight, on a 4wt fly rod.
Prick of a thing to fillet.....Tastes good but. ;D
cheers....Shawn.

Jack_Lives_Here
24-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Hey WD, I got one of those little bats on Sunday night down at Maroon. NASTY little biting buggers. Mine had no chance on the 10wt though - not very sporting I know ;) http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm2.gif

Probably the wierdest was a "thing" that Shep got up at Hinchinbrook one year. We were trolling big lures around Haycock Island and something banged his Nilmaster 5". This "thing" looked similar to a stargazer, about 20-25cm long, but had the nastiest teeth - all protruding and horror movie looking. It had the Nilsy sideways in it's gob. It was handled like it had a dose of the clap (very carefully) and we still have no idea what it was.

rosella
24-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Any sort of camera would have been the go in these type of situations....they don't take up much room and make the retelling a hell of a lot more fun. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm11.gif

cheers........rosella

swano
24-04-2003, 04:32 PM
i've got a couple as would most . one was a freshwater mussel while spinning for cod using a medium stumpjumper. and the other was a 8 foot long groper on a hundred pound handline while fishing for black jew at burketown. it towed us around for over an hour before we saw it , took some video and piccies and let the big fella go (est weight at 600 to 800 lbs by a pro fisherman) . great feeling still to this day knowing that you don't have to slaughter a monster just to hang it's head over your bar to collect dust

swano
24-04-2003, 04:48 PM
he's a biggun ehh?

blaze
24-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Hi swano
The poor old groper looks pretty bloody tired, guess he musta pulled up ok though
cheers
blaze

Render
25-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Probably the wierdest was a "thing" that Shep got up at Hinchinbrook one year. We were trolling big lures around Haycock Island and something banged his Nilmaster 5". This "thing" looked similar to a stargazer, about 20-25cm long, but had the nastiest teeth - all protruding and horror movie looking. It had the Nilsy sideways in it's gob. It was handled like it had a dose of the clap (very carefully) and we still have no idea what it was.

Jack, was this your beastie?

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/csloani.htm

(edit - having looked up stargazer on the site I linked to above, I think it's likely you caught an Anglerfish of some species)
R

ba229
27-04-2003, 04:50 PM
Thats one ugly fish Render. :o

desertfisher
27-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Jeeeeezuuuuuus!!!!! That fish bears an uncanny resemblance to my boss!! :o

SteveCan
27-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Last weekend on Flatrock Ballina, My last cast found another snag. We had gone through a bit of gear on the rocks and I thought it an apropriate end to the weekends fishing. I pulled jusiciously at the snag only to have it let go after being sure I was going to break off.

My Surprise was when I had landed the terminal Tackle and found that my previous lost rig was on the end of the line! I got back a full rig - swivel, trace, 4 x 3/0 gang - all hooked cleanly through the swivel! About as arsey a cast as you could get i reckon.

Cheers
Steve.

Dr_Dan
27-04-2003, 07:35 PM
Was fishing for some barra one night under a light bridge, when i got a half hearted hit, pulled it in, had a barra on the end, but hadn't hooked the barra, had hooked some line hanging out of it's mouth from a busted off rig. I reckon he was a whole lot happier when i sent her on her way, without all that crap hanging out her mouth.

nother memerable catch was when i was flicking around some headlands with a gold bomber, got a bit of a tangle in the line, fixed it up. i gave the lure a bit of a flick to get it down to depth, and when i got it in, i had a whiting, hooked fair through the mouth on the end of the lure. The lure was as big as the whiting. Poor thing, was probably trying to get frisky towards the lure!!! ;)

Dan

Lachie1
28-04-2003, 07:13 AM
I was up at noosa on the chrissy holidays fishing witha mate when i hooked a pelican on a herring in about 3 foot of water! :o :o It took off into the air for about 10 seconds and sent the drag screaming before it pulled the hooks, thank god :P

Jack_Lives_Here
29-04-2003, 04:38 AM
Nah Render. This thing had teeth similar to the tiger fish of Africa.

Chuong
29-04-2003, 12:08 PM
I've caught a whiting on 3x5/0 gangs and a whole pilchard. Hooked him on the lips on the end hook.

CamH
02-05-2003, 10:29 AM
My brother once hooked a seagull on an old alvey reel my grandfather gave me. It was one of the funiest things I've ever seen. It was in the air for about 5 minutes.