PDA

View Full Version : trying to catch crabs!

dexx
26-04-2003, 07:10 AM
i'm still trying to catch mud crabs, around the brisbane river area.

to my experience, once the weather gets cold, the crabs go hibernate and don't come out (this is my theory). is this right?, or can you catch mud crabs all year round?. i know sand crabs you can get all year round, but they don't have as much meat and are more watery when you cook them.

any advice helps, thanx

landy1
26-04-2003, 07:18 AM
Correct me if im wrong guys but i didnt think the muddies actually hibernated, just went right up the creeks where the water is warmer. I do know that they throw their shells?moult at some point.
????????????????????
cheers
Michael

jaybee
26-04-2003, 07:25 AM
My bro did really well last winter with some xos bucks down bruns some right in front of his caravan and is looking forward to the colder months this year. He has designed a bait holder which has increased his catch rate. Soon as i can get it on paper will scan and post. photo attached is mooloolaba a couple of weeks ago, couple of hours crabbing and he says he caught heaps of jennies as well all around the same size as the bucks if not bigger.
cheers.

dexx
26-04-2003, 07:48 AM
My bro did really well last winter with some xos bucks down bruns some right in front of his caravan and is looking forward to the colder months this year. He has designed a bait holder which has increased his catch rate. Soon as i can get it on paper will scan and post. photo attached is mooloolaba a couple of weeks ago, couple of hours crabbing and he says he caught heaps of jennies as well all around the same size as the bucks if not bigger.
cheers.

that's awesome!, err what are xos bucks and where is down bruns?

he actually caught the crabs in his bait holder?

jaybee
26-04-2003, 07:50 AM
extra large and not in the bait holder, it has increased his catch, it can be used in dillies or a pot.
cheers
joe.

dexx
26-04-2003, 07:57 AM
where abouts did he catch it?

jaybee
26-04-2003, 08:25 AM
up the mooloola river dexx thats all i can say at this stage will try and find some photos from last winter down the bruns. oh bruns is Brunswick heads.
cheers
joe

dexx
26-04-2003, 08:44 AM
thanx!

ba229
28-04-2003, 08:48 AM
That heading reminds me of a girl I knew once. :D

desertfisher
28-04-2003, 12:17 PM
looks like a cue for a joke to do with frangers & loose women,,,,but I think I will refrain. ;D

bugger
28-04-2003, 12:23 PM
A good cure for crabs is to sprinkle brown sugar around infested area , it doesn't kill them but it does stop them biting by rotting their teeth .

Tally
30-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Bugger,

Mate are you talking from experience? lol

Jay.

inonsw
07-05-2003, 04:04 AM
last winter me and the boys got a few muddies in deep water about 10 to 15 ft in the clarence river near the broadwater any dillies put in shallow water got nothing but swimmers fork tail catfish fillets (smell bad work good)best bait more crabs aroung if there was a high pressure close to low pressure hope that help ino