PDA

View Full Version : STOMACH LINING ON FISH

caveman
12-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Hi all just got back from jacobs well we caught a few bream and tarwine with a black lining on their stomach/abdomen wall was wondering if any one knows what this is and is it safe to eat these fish will post a pic if anybody needs/wants to have a look at them

cheers caveman

Lucky_Phill
12-05-2003, 03:59 PM
No probs with the lining on the Tarwhine.

I don't get near them as I fillet, skin and de-bone ALL fish.

I was at the " Well" today, but just to have a Mothers Day Lunch at the Pub. Actually saw Lordy there, dropping the tinnie in , in search of a whiting or two.

Cheers Phill

banshee
12-05-2003, 04:01 PM
I prefer to fillet and skin my fish leaving the gut cavity intact,but all the tarwine that I have guted have had the black lineing so I would say it is normal.I don't know much about it but they certainly will cook up well, just try scrapeing it out if it worries you.

caveman
12-05-2003, 04:16 PM
thx guys its just iv'e heard that cicatera(not sure of the spelling) poisoning in fish is supposed to show up like this is this true, it's just that i don't catch that many salties and wasn't sure wether it was normal or not

webby
12-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Hi, You seem to find that black lining in a lot of esturary fish, dont know wether its anything to do with what they digest.
But its harmless, anyway as the above mentioned, just fillet them.
regards

banshee
12-05-2003, 04:52 PM
Three weeks ago our club had a lecturer from S.C.U. give a talk on ciguatera,it was the subject off his PHD theisis paper.The only way that the likes of us fisherman can tell if a fish has the condition is to have a cat consume one eighth of it's(the cat) body weight and wait,if moggy is still on all fours in eight to ten hours the fish is good,if not give it to the wife's mother.By far the most affected fish is the Spanish Mackeral, with specimens as small as six kilos known to cause the disease,it affects upper food chain predators from certain areas,almost certainly your tarwine do not have it.After hearing this guys talk I will be very weary of CQ Spaniards.