PDA

View Full Version : Boat Size Southern Bay

drevil
15-05-2003, 10:41 AM
I was wondering how bad conditions can get in the southern bay, say, anywhere south of a line drawn from Amity to Wellington Point?

I have a 12 foot tinny that I want to upgrade, and I was wondering if a 4.5-4.75m tinnie would be okay in this area most of the time. I was thinking of something like a Quinnie runabout or Bar Raider.

What do you think? How bad have you seen it around Rous, and how often does it get like that?

mackmauler
15-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Boats of all sizes sink in the southern bay, "its not how big it is, its how you use it" Its classified partially smooth water I believe, as for how bad it gets, in my opinion even on a bad day its like being in a bathtub compared to a bad day outside.
Rob

craigie
15-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Hi drevil,

I have a 4.6m open tinnie, with a 40hp tiller steer. There are plenty of days when my boat is unsuitable for a trip to the southern Bay. I've gone from Cleveland to Peel in 15 - 20 knots of wind and It was a bit scary for me :o. so generally if the wind is 15 knots or less, you should be o.k..

If you intend to fish the Bay on a regular basis, go for a heavy duty boat built from 2 to 4mm Aluminium. Look for a bit of 'V' in the hull to help handle the chop that the Bay will dish up.

The bay was flat most of last weekend, if it was like that all the time your 12 footer would be just fine ;D ;D

Have a look at a 'Trailcraft' before you make your final choice on a new boat. They compare well to Quinnies etc.

Cheers
Craig.

Lachie1
15-05-2003, 12:03 PM
We have a 485 savage and go down to that part of the bay quite a bit. It is a perfectsize for down that area. Anything over 20knts is unfishable (though we have done it a few times) in a boat around this size, anyway you don't want to be out there in weather like that so why bother ??? :P As long as you know how to handle the condidtions that pop up from time to time you should be set. It can get pretty rough near the rous on a bad day but like mackmauler said, it's like a bathtub compared to a bad day outside.

Hope this helps ya, Lachie

CHRIS_aka_GWH
15-05-2003, 01:04 PM
we gotta 475 Stacer Nomad. Like the boys said if she's gonna blow over 15kts fish elsewhere. We fish the bay happily under 15kts. Although from the east / southeast its pretty manageable up to 20kts in that southern area described. But do get wet faces on occasion.

Whatever you go for, look for a boat with a pod - increases useable space in the boat & improves seaworthiness.

Go for the boat with more freeboard.

And if the dollars allow - deck systems that allow stuff & fuel tanks to be stored away so you have maximum free deck space.

These things make fishing the bay in a small boat safer &
more enjoyable. #

chris

xxxxhornet
15-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Mate,
I have a 4mt Hornet trophy and have generally only been on the bay on a 10-15 kts day. It did blow 15+ on the way home from peel, but if you go sensibly you should be ok. I wouldnt even contemplate going across to say Curtin etc unless the forecast was 5-10kts for 4 days and it was the first day! - and I was with someone else.
But theres some excellent fishing to be had around Mud and peel and youve got an artificial nearby as well.

The worst I've been in is 20 knots up Hervey - SE on a run in tide and it was bloody scary - purpose was to see what the boat could handle but i think that size you dont want to be caught in anything more than 15kts.
The hornet is good for the chop as it still has a V in the hull, has excellent underfloor storage, and you stay dry unless they are coming at you from the angle. I nearly bought a 5mt Dory with a 40hp but the hornet trophy was the same price with all the extras you get (sounder/full floor etc)

hope this is some help.
Andrew

drevil
16-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Thanks for your help, guys. I guess it all comes back to common sense and not doing anything too stupid.