PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for a Q.Land Trip for 2004.

setthehook
19-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Hi
Im planning on hitting Queensland in 2004 and would love some info on places and times.I live in southern N.S.W and the trip would be about 1 week long.So would like to make good use of time.
I am interested in chasing Queenfish,Barracuda,Threadfin,Barra, And a couple of sharks.
Any info would be appreciated.
Rob.

Wesley_Pang
20-05-2003, 03:09 AM
Rob,

I'd recommend Weipa.

I group of mates flew in, hire 4wd, boat and stayed at the caravan park. There are also guides available.

I've fished aboard the mothership "Eclipse". Our group of 8 caught 40+ species on fly unguided. Barra, Trevallies, Salmons, tunas, mackeral, jacks, cobia, queenies and lots of reef dwellers. You'll may even get sick of queenies. Western Cape York is a saltwater flyfishermans paradise.

I fished a day out of Weipa from a hired tinny. Lots of options. We fished the beacons. You don't know what lives under these. The beaches are good for barra. I didn't get down to Boyds Bay. Its like an aquarium I hear, especally when the mackeral boat are processing their catch.

Hinchenbrook is easily accessable by car. I've always done it tough there though.

The Freshwater impoundments for Barra is another option. Can be very tough. You have to put in the time, but if and when you hook up you'll probably land your biggest barra.

Wes

Jack_Lives_Here
20-05-2003, 05:26 AM
YES, Head north ;)
You can probably start as close as Rockhampton but for the best bang for your buck on a limited time go further up and hire a guide.

setthehook
20-05-2003, 06:34 AM
Thanks Guys!!
Wow Im getting all excited hearing this already.Dont mind a bit of fly fishing. All i ever caught on fly is Carp, Garfish, trout, Bass and some other bits and pieces. But nothing like up there!!!
Chow
Rob.

whiteman
20-05-2003, 08:54 AM
I fish Balgal Beach to the Palm Islands which is between Townsville and Hinchenbrook. Compared to my previous life in Sydney, fishing here is VERY, VERY good.

For example, yesterday was a perfect day up this way and I took the kids out to the islands for a picnic and a snorkel on some coral patches off Esk Island beach (pristine white sand with no-one for miles). On the way back, we decided to have fresh tuna steaks for dinner so we pulled a lure through the first school we saw and got a 6kg nugget for our efforts. A great result for 5 minutes work.

Of course it's not always this good but if you have a little bit of local knowlwdge you'll get some great action. Contact any of the fishing clubs on the Qld coast and I'm sure they'll help. Mine certainly will. There's pleanty of great places to stay up this way from free camping right on the beach to 5 star resorts.

krazyfisher
20-05-2003, 09:10 AM
will you have a boat with you?