PDA

View Full Version : Massacre at Flinders

bugman
16-05-2003, 06:51 AM
Guys and gals

Take a look at this thread on Dive-oz. I'm sure it was none of us but I think we should be vigilant if anyone is passing that area and report these criminals.

http://www.diveoz.com.au/discussion_forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3679

Bugman

Wesley_Pang
16-05-2003, 07:06 AM
Bugman,

I think I've seen these guys @ the Bribie boatramp.

Camo wetsuit, fishing out of a Southwind longboat.

They shot everything. Voltzy had to tell them the Red Bass may have ciguatera. Maybe we should have keep out mouths shut.

Wes

mackmauler
16-05-2003, 07:17 AM
Not the same guys Wes.

Dominator
16-05-2003, 07:34 AM
If these guy's were taking part in illegal spear fishing, and it sounds like they were, I hope they get what is coming to them. I can understand spearing a feed of fish but 30-40 kg thats not right. >:( >:( >:(

I have never spearfished before so i don't know the rules and regulations of the sport but it does upset me to hear of such actions. >:( >:( >:(

Anyway thats just my opinion. ;)

Cheers,

Dominator.

Jack_Lives_Here
16-05-2003, 07:50 AM
SCUMBAGS http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif

Lucky_Phill
16-05-2003, 12:31 PM
I believe that it's up to all of us to do something about this behaviour.

Even if the guys didn;t know the regs, they had an idea it was illegal. Get on the blower to a VMR and get the info. Pass on boat details. Do something !

Yes , most of us know the Fisheries ph no. But the VHF radio could have done the job.

These boats would have only come from Bribie, Scarbrough, maybe a little further down, but alerting the closest VMR, they could have done something. I think !

Phill ???

dazza
17-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Dunno if any of you guy's have seen that big tiger shark that lives around the flinders, hutchies area. If these wankers continue this practice I recon it won't be long until one of them makes the front page of the courier mail ;) ;)
Then unfortunatley we will have people trying to catch and kill this impressive animal.
cheers
dazza

hoo_hunter
17-05-2003, 06:28 AM
hi,just joined after reading massacre at flinders?
I have seen on a few ocassions this practice going on,most of us do the right thing but you always get those few who don't.
The problem is that they get away with it all the time because there isn't any patrols out there?there needs to be patrols out there on a regular basis to put a stop!
Last weekend we watched two boats leave with approx 8 divers of which one boat had a huge stainless esky which took most of that boats center area,on returning that arvo from a fish myself that arvo the two boats had already returned and were cleaning a heap of fish?
In particular there were 4 blokes 3 filleting and 1 packing fish away,what caught my eye is that there was a pile of frames about the height of my knees and these guys still had plenty of buckets full of fish?this included plenty of parrots.Now i stress that i'm not saying this is illegal but one whould ask "what is the limit per boat"isn't there a all up limit per each boat?surely a good feed is a good feed but what in the hell would you do with an amount like this,not only wiping out schools of fish but these were pretty decent size fish!made all up in excess well over the 30/40kg mentioned before and thats being very generous.At this rate my children will have to pick a different past time as slaughtering at a rate like this can not be substained,
cheers phil http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm24.gif

Hawkeye
23-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Gday guys, just thought I would clear a few things up. I own a long boat and have been fishing and spearfishing out of Bribie for about 10 years now. As far as I know I am the only spearo on the northside with a long boat, so if Wes reckons it was me that cleaned up Flinders that day he obviously had a few too many bundies. If those guys did shoot fish in the Zone then they should be locked up and every spearo I know would share my opinion. There are good and bad spearos just as there are good and bad line fisherman- don't make yourself out to be a halfwit redneck by blaming people you don't know about a crime that you didn't even witness. Maybe we would all get on a little better if people chose to educate themselves about other peoples sport instead of just bagging it.

Wesley_Pang
23-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Hawkeye,

Accept my apologies.

Responsible spearfisherman don't have an adverse impact in the fishery.

I spearfished for a short time, until the sharks freaked me out. I remember the hard time I got when the 1st fish I shot was a mowong. I only targeted coral trout after that.

Wes

Jack_Lives_Here
23-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Hey hawkeye the northside is a big area. RU sure you're the only one with a longboat that spearfishes on this side of town???????
Broad generalisations - I fail to see how someone could get upset with them????

Hawkeye
23-05-2003, 11:27 AM
Jack, In 10 years of fishing I have never seen anyone else spearing out of a long boat around Moreton but that doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there.
Wes, apology accepted. I never shoot parrots, I can tell the difference between a jack and a red bass and I only catch what I can eat. If I find out who did shoot the shit out of Flinders inside the zone I will let you all know and natural justice will prevail. By the way, the last Red Bass that I ate tasted fine and I have eaten a few.

Jack_Lives_Here
23-05-2003, 12:27 PM
Good stuff Hawkeye. ;)
It's always the few that spoil it for the many and all those other cliches that come to mind.

hoo_hunter
23-05-2003, 03:56 PM
g'day everyone,i posted recently about two boats one with a big stainless esky in the middle with a heap of fish surely i wasn't the only one who witnessed it as there was a few spectators in disbelief?does anybody know them?
why not ask them what the hell are they doing with this amount of fish and what is there excuse for slaughtering that amount of fish,may this weekend be a good fish!!!!!! ;)

landy1
23-05-2003, 04:04 PM
As the boys have said, if you dont talk to them at the time take the boats rego down and ring fisheries. Somehow they will put the heat on these mongrels. include descriptions of skipper time date place and number of people on board.
cheers
Michael

blaze
23-05-2003, 06:11 PM
Hi all
why not wonder over and take a picture of the wonderful catch and pass that onto your fish inspectors
cheers
blaze