PDA

View Full Version : Lively Livies

Dominator
25-05-2003, 07:30 AM
I have just purchased a new cast net and i am wondering what the best way is to keep livies alive. ??? ???

I don't have a live bait tank on my boat so I thought if I bought an airator maybe that would do the job. ;)

Ideas anyone. ??? ???

Cheers,

Dominator.

Breamreeper
25-05-2003, 07:51 AM
A teqnique I have used for years which is a cheap and effective option. I have two buckets a big one and a smaller one that fits inside the big one. Drill holes in the small one to about half way up. Half fill the big bucket with water and let the small bucket with the livies, sit in that. You can place a lid on the big bucket so it doesn't spill.About every 15 minutes, depending how many livies you have just change the water. This method makes the livies easy to grab as you just lift the smaller bucket up and the fish are sitting dry.

Render
25-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Holy buckets, Batman!

That gives me an idea so cunning you could put a tail on it an call it a weasel.

How about drilling out the large bucket with the lid and just dangling it over the side? No need to change water or areate, as it's sitting in the sea.

Idea (c)me and there's a $1,000 dollar royalty for any use of it :P

Cheers,

R.

PS - love the sig, Dom. Nil desperandum illegitimus!

Dominator
25-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Reeper- That sound like a good idea but if say I am camping and am away from the boat for a period of time then how long after each water change will my lively's continue to be alive? ??? ???

Render- I am glad you like the sig mate but I would prefer if you did'nt use those big words.LOL ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Dominator.

freefish
25-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Bad luck about the royalties. Both ideas available from Plano.

Big_Kev
25-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Dom I use a nice deep 20Ltr bucket and 3/4 fill it.
If you have aerator you won't have to change the water so much.
Mate fishing with livies is the best way to attract some excitement to you rod.
Lots of burn't out drag washers, Kev

Zeeke
26-05-2003, 05:22 AM
i dont use live bait, but i do sometimes keep bream in an esky for a few hours.. and when im fishing with my brother who insists on using bait, keeps a few herring in the esky, ive just got a 65 litre esky and ive got a portable KeepAlive aerator in there, it mixes air with the water and ive kept upto 70 herring and hardyheads in the esky for 14hrs without having to do a water change, the esky keeps the fish cool, its rather dark in there so they stay calm and the keepalive keeps them rocking and rolling and they are usually even more livelier then when they are first caught and full of jumping beans

Tim

webby
26-05-2003, 04:31 PM
HI Dom,
Get yourself one of those big plastic rubbish bins and plok her in the middle, then drop the bubble machine into it, only has to be half full.
Just push Sam up the bow out of the way to ballast the defactor, and keep his Burbons out of it :D
regards

argonautical
26-05-2003, 04:48 PM
Dom,
You not putting the cart before the horse are you.........took me a while to catch anything with a cast net - keeping them alive was the least of my worries.

argo

Render
26-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Bad luck about the royalties. Both ideas available from Plano.

Curses! >:(

These pesky orientals steal my every idea!

But... I have a cunning, can't-fail backup plan for riches on the fishie front.

For years now, I have been developing an item that will revolutionise fishing as we know it. I have taken a small peice of wire and bent it into a J shape. The cunning part is how I sharpen the short end of the J and make a loop in the other, thus enabling it to be tied onto a fishing line!!!!

I hypothesise that if the J-bend were to be loaded with something fishies like to eat, say... a Pot Noodle or a Mars bar, and dropped into the water on the end of a line, the results might be spectacular.

The fishie swims along and spies the tempting Pot Noodle or confectionary treat... "Ho!", it says. "That looks like a Pot Noodle or a tempting confectionary treat. I'll just swim up and have a wee nibble", swim swim, gobble gobble etc etc...

As the unsuspecting fishies dines merrily, the J shaped bit of wire, cunningly sharpened at one end gets stuck in his mouth, enabling the bloke on the other end of the line to wind him in at his leisure!!!!

Genius, I tell you!!!

Do you think it'll fly? I think it's got legs myself! All I need is a name for my invention and I'm a millionaire!

Muuaahh haa haa!

cheers,

R

drevil
27-05-2003, 03:22 AM
What are you on, Render???