PDA

View Full Version : The Cutting Edge

Big_Kev
10-06-2003, 04:41 PM
Guys and Gals Tuesday night 8.30pm on SBS there is a documentory "The Cutting Edge".
This weeks topic is empty nets.
It is about the declining stocks of the worlds fisheries.
Doctor David Suzuki is one of the speakers.
Might be an interesting view.
Cheers Kev. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

fishsmith
10-06-2003, 07:18 PM
Sounds worthwhile viewing there Kev thanks for passing that info on i will have to have a gander..

Cheers Smithy.......... [smiley=computer.gif] :)

bugman
12-06-2003, 04:07 AM
I watched this program last night - I hope many others did as well.

If anything I hope it will make more of us proactive in lobbying for change to make our fish stocks a sustainable resource for all - And I mean all -.

The program highlighted what happens to marine ecosystems where there is little forethought and where legislation doesn't deal with the real issues. It highlighted where governments were actually contributing to the degredation by massive subsidies to keep the fleets out there raping the oceans. The irony was that as fish stocks reduced fishermen wanted more money out of the government to leave the industry depite being helped by the government to stay in it for so long.

I think it's best not to talk about the underdeveloped nations and what's happening to their fishing grounds as multinationals search for a quick buck.

There was some good news highlighting the sustainable fishing of halibut and salmon in Alaska after fishing the stock to almost non existance. It's now a very regulated and lucrative industry that is based on leaving enough fish to multiple and increase each year. There are lessons to be learnt here.

This may not go down well with everyone but I got the feeling that closures on the Great Barrier reef - TO EVERYONE - is a good idea in principle. I'm not saying GRMPA has the ratios or locations right in its current proposal but the program highlighted areas around the world where no fishing zones allowed areas to replenish with the fish then moving into other general fishing areas.

It's a very complex and emotive issue which needs reasoned debate on all sides. I hope that reasoned debate can take place in Australia for the sake of us all.

Brett

Fisheasy
12-06-2003, 08:45 AM
Well said Bugman. I watched the programme also and just shook my head in disbelief at netting practices around the world. Wish we had the Alaskans monitoring our fish stocks as well - how good could it be!
The Great Barrier Reef certainly needs help but the ad hoc way the department has used computers to map out the green zones is crazy. I don't know how much research was put in or why some of the zones have been earmarked for closure.
To the outsider, it looks as though some office jockey has been given the task of closing 33% of the reef and boxed in areas just to make up the requirements given to them.