PDA

View Full Version : Water in my Boat

RobRocket
11-06-2003, 11:55 AM
My boat is taking in water.

Is removing a bung whilst travelling a safe practice inorder to empty the water whilst moving????

Lachie1
11-06-2003, 12:03 PM
depends on what sort of boat, what sort of bung you have and how fast you are going. If you have a small tinny with the cork thingy for a bung in the transom, insert it from the inside and when you get top speed pull it out and see the water flow out 8) worked for me in the past.

Cheers, Lachie

Lachie1
11-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Also have you ever thought of a bilge pump ??? ???

CHRIS_aka_GWH
11-06-2003, 12:23 PM
errr... why do you have water in your boat to the point it troubles you. I'd leave the bung in (although that method is very effective but you must replace the bung while still moving or the water floods back in). Personally if you do not want a bilge pump I'd bail its quick.
FIX THE LEAK - little leaks become big leaks quickly.

chris

Paul_C
11-06-2003, 12:40 PM
If you have the small black plastic screw in plugs with the flat plastic washers, TOSS THE WASHER, they don't work. Pay a visit to your nearest Bearing shop and take the bung with you, get some thick "O" rings that fit neatly on to the bungs. That should solve your leaking problem, if thats what it is. Best way to find out where the leak is, fill the boat up with 150-200mm of water and get under it and see where it's dripping from. Could be a crack.

Regards
Paul

RobRocket
12-06-2003, 04:26 AM
Thanks guys

I will try filling the boat with water.

What is the best method to stop the water once the crack is found. The boat is a 4.5m tinny

Touchy - R.I.P.
12-06-2003, 06:24 AM
Fill it full of concrete,tie a buoy with a length of rope,sink it & use it for a permanent anchorage for your next rig. ;D ;D ;D ;D.T.><> ><> ><>.

RobRocket
12-06-2003, 07:21 AM
thats not what i wanted to hear

landy1
12-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Heres a hint
Sellys knead it, comes in an aqua use form. its like a two part putty if your not familiar with it. if its only a small crack its good stuff for repair work. i used it as a temporary job but i think ill just leave it there. it costs about $10 and you get heaps for that (at bunnings). sets hard as steel and is drillable and such. ive seen this stuff used in gun repairs so its pretty damn tuff once set.
cheers
Michael

MangroveJase
12-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Yep thats the one, I used that "Knead It" it to keep patching an old dory for years.

RobRocket
13-06-2003, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the hints guys

will do