PDA

View Full Version : Canadian on the Gold Coast

bellhender
09-06-2003, 11:02 PM
Hello Boys and Girls

I'm a Canadian from North Central British Columbia in Canada who is visiting your beautiful Gold Coast for 2 monthes next February and March. I live on a lake and enjoy quality trout fishing out the back door so I was hoping to trade in my icefishing hut for a surf rod and some sun block.

I lived on the coast (Chevron Island) when I was a kid and actually came back and worked at Sea World as a young man, then came back again with my wife and teens 2 years ago. The fishing and hunting where I live is world class but if I were a rich man I'd have a place on the coast too.

I know it is a fairly long time away but could anyone give me some hints on where to fish and who the best fishing outfits are on the coast (be budget oriented please). Perhaps give me a hint or 2 on where to fish and what type of tackle to buy. I'm very excited about this trip as it's just wifey and myself and I plan on spending many pleasant hours dipping my line and even going fishing once or twice.

The last time I was over a taxi driver called me frozen Yank so I called him a tropical Pom. He vigoriously pointed out "I'm no bloody Pom mate", My response was "now you're getting it" HAHA

Anyway if you feel the urge to educate the less informed I've very interested in hearing from you, either in here or at bellhender@hotmail.com

Regards

Gerry
From Prince George

Touchy - R.I.P.
10-06-2003, 11:56 AM
G'Day Jerry & welcome to Ausfish,As (by your post) you seem to have a bit of a sense of humour:D,I will make an allowance for anyone not an aussie & invite you to join me in a couple of fishing trips during your stay,tho' my son & wife both outfish me I'm sure I can put you onto a couple of fish,One word of advice,I would not take a lot of notice to some of the "help" you will probably get from some of our other ausfish members (as they drink a lot & lose the plot ::)plus their fishing skills only get better 'round the campfire,but be assured that some here will make you & "the boss"enjoy your time back in Qld. Cheers Touchy.><> ><> ><>.

bellhender
11-06-2003, 06:23 AM
Thank you Touch

I would love to go fishing with a local fishhound. I may even be able to spring for gas and a bevy or two. I take out visitors from other places too and it has always given me a thrill to watch a rookie walk into their first bear or see a moose for the first time. I had a person from Scotland on my dock last fall knocking off rainbow trout with his fly line. He said he felt like a duke. With the swish of his wrist on that line I'd have thought more like a duchess (haha).

Touchy - R.I.P.
11-06-2003, 11:15 AM
G'day bellhender,Did you get the private message I sent ?,If you want to send me your postal addy I maybe able to find you a couple of our local fishing mags from Jan/Feb of this year to give you a bit of local goss on the type of fish you will encounter at the time of your visit,The mag is called Bush N Beach & its writers are all "hands"on fisho's I'm sure you will find it a good read & helpfull.Cheers Touchy.><> ><> ><>.

SteveCan
11-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Hi Gerry,

Welcome to the site, I live on the Gold Coast and as I am sure you are aware, there are lots of fishing options here. I am really into fishing from my boat at the moment, but my first love is Beach fishing. January is a lovely time to wake up early and wander down to the beach to wet a line. An Alvey reel and a 12-14ft rod the only way to go ;) On the Coast my favourite spots would be Palm Beach and up at the Spit

Hang around this site long enough and you will see lots of information on Gold Coast fishing. Seeing as you are prepared to have a laugh I am sure you wont go short of company if you want it when you get here # :D

Cheers
Steve.

bellhender
15-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the response Steve. I'm looking forward to coming back to the coast and I really am looking forward to meeting a few fisherpersons (politically correct, "Eh") while I'm on the coast. I recon that there is at least one nice person, couple, guy out there that would like to teach a newbie the how and where of local Gold Coast fishing.
I don't anticipate it being a one sided gift. I live in a place that has world class hunting and trout/salmon fishing too!!
Look-up the Nechako or Stuart river in British Columbia Canada on the internet and you will get an Idea of my back yard.