PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning fish on site??

webby
13-06-2003, 03:23 PM
Superstition---Truth---Falicity ???
Does the habit of cleaning your catch at the location you caught them.
Put the species your targeting off the bite. ???
My experience with 2 species is it does to a degree, especially with snapper and sweetlip.

Has anyone else had this happen and what species.

;DAnd you dont need a GPS to find the reply button to answer either ;D

regards

Heath
13-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Not one bit I reckon.

Willo
13-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Narrr I,m superstitious about it ,don,t know why ,but i don;t clean me fish on top of my mark either

Fisheasy
14-06-2003, 05:42 AM
A friend of mine owns an offshore charter boat up at Hervey Bay and has his decky clean the fish while cruising from reef to reef. He very rarely cleans his fish on his marks.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
14-06-2003, 07:17 AM
whiting yep - for sure
tailor nup - tailor are insane I bleed them over the tuna fillets & the bite increases.

chris

ps noticed the whiting thing a few years back - I'd wave a whiting fillet for flathead in the same area & the whiting would go straight off.

Makes sense (I must think like a whiting not a tailor) - I don't think I'd eat in a restaurant if I noticed large pools of human blood & guts strewn around the place when I walked in.

jaybee
14-06-2003, 09:18 AM
I've heard stories from old timers that if the gut isnt cleaned up by the savangers real quick it can send the coral off, their theory was also that if bait was left in a trap too long this could also send the coral off. #??? Also a higher risk of bringing sharks into the area and chasing of the local population. #??? When the old man was a pro fisher, he use to swear by bleeding the mackerel over the side to increase the bite rate, use to say makerel blood will scare sharks off ??? ???

mackmauler
14-06-2003, 09:47 AM
Webby, im to busy catching the next one to waste time on a hot bite. Jaybee, ive got a lifejacket in the boat thats been soaked in mackerel blood many times, when the time comes would ya want to wear it ;D

Daintreeboy
14-06-2003, 09:55 AM
I don't do it generally when fishing for Coral Trout as it brings in the sharks, that's a fact. It has been done before though and does help the bite (until the sharks start eating them halfway up [smiley=behead.gif] ) as it's just a form of Berley. We've caught mackerel and trout with gills in them from the fish we'd just cleaned. These times of cleaning are when we're about to head off to another spot and leave the lines out until we're finished and what do ya know.. the bite is on again.

Volvo
15-06-2003, 06:04 AM
:) Think it stands ta reason that chuckin frames over the side maybe akin ta berlying up for Sharks etc?? and that may be the reason for the fish goin off the chew.
If i'm in the mood ta flliet me catch while fishing i chuck the frames in the sternwell and after i move away from the area (if it happens ta be a favourite) i dump the frames back in the drink.
At least somethings gunna have an easy feed regards to me lol.
Cheers

jaybee
15-06-2003, 06:52 AM
just out of curiosity last nite i knocked the fillets of a pike for bait, threw the frame over the side, heaps of small grassies, moses perch and squire came on the chew.
cheers.

Volvo
15-06-2003, 11:02 AM
just out of curiosity last nite i knocked the fillets of a pike for bait, threw the frame over the side, heaps of small grassies, moses perch and squire came on the chew.
cheers.

Wouldnt doubt it ey :). free fresh tucker lol.

jaybee
15-06-2003, 11:48 AM
So whats the deal volvo, free,fresh tucker, does that mean the little fellas come in have a feed, we get tired go home, then the big fellas, (which we are after in the 1st place) come and get their share, mmmm can this be done back to front.
cheers.

Volvo
15-06-2003, 01:50 PM
Free fresh tucker for the littley fish mate, what ya think i meant lol ??? ::)

rick k
15-06-2003, 06:52 PM
dart were biting freely on pippies/wongs. Plenty of pippies, but decided it use dart as bait. No more bites.

Rick K