PDA

View Full Version : Painted Crays

ferralflyer
15-06-2003, 09:14 PM
HI,freefish netting crays is illegal :o,but i will tell you that crays are found in mortenbay but not many,there use to be thousands in the 1930s to40s around mud,ST hellenna,peel,but then came the corel dredges and terned there habitate into concrete slabs for our house and to put our boats on,and i will say that up north in late august-september paint crays come out from the reef head west to the 3 fathom line and head to the straites and beyond this is the great cray march :)cheers ferralflyer.

freefish
15-06-2003, 09:33 PM
Hi Again, Here's one for all. An old pro fisherman told me once that in Northern Aust. & the Islands (Torres St.) they used to catch painted crays (not commercially) by setting a net at right angles to the beach near a rocky headland. Question:- Has anyone heard of this & how far south are painted crays found..Regards Bill

freefish
16-06-2003, 06:49 AM
Thanks for that. Another old time method put to rest along with the 2 meter prawn scoop he left me. Bill

fishy_phil
16-06-2003, 09:24 AM
gday
they go down past coffs harbour...but believe it or not in some places outnumber the eastern crays....anyway they are plentiful around my stomping round of minnie waters...
cheers
phil