PDA

View Full Version : Vale Ron Collins

Nugget
14-06-2003, 12:53 PM
Ron Collins passed away in the Prince Alexandria Hospital today, after a long battle with cancer.

Ron’s last memories were of fishing and enjoying the company of anglers and boaties on Fraser Island, one of his favourite places on earth, and while there achieving several milestones including attending the 20th Toyota Fraser Island Fishing Expo.

He will be sadly missed by his wife Sue, sons Ben and Tim and an enormous group of boaties, anglers, friends and Ausfish regulars.

Benjamin Franklin said “If you would not be forgotten… either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.”
Ron did both with exceptional skill, perfectionism and commitment.

When first diagnosed, I suggested to Ron that he give up working and use what time he had left to do the things he loved most – he replied saying, “Bush ‘N Beach, 4BC, fishing and boating is what I love most, this is what I want to do”.

He had the foresight to put things in place that ensure the continuation of his beloved Bush ‘N Beach fishing magazine and Talking Fishing program on Radio 4BC.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it.
George C. Scott

Dave ><>

PinHead
14-06-2003, 01:15 PM
That just shattered my Friday...listened to the fishing show on 4BC many many times..Ron will be missed...RIP..and condolences to Ron's family.

Fitzy
14-06-2003, 01:18 PM
I can't really think of much to say, but I feel I have to say something.
Ron has made a big impression on alot of folks lives, mine included. He won't be forgotten.
The Ausfish flag is at half mast.
My thoughts are with Sue, Ben & Tim.

Fitzy..

Jack_Lives_Here
14-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Christ that just gob smacked me. :-[
Condolences to Ron's wife and family.

Derek Bullock
14-06-2003, 01:56 PM
A sad day.

Like many of you, I know that Ron's passing will leave a big hole in my life. He was an inspiration to me and was the one who encouraged me to write about Camping and Camp Cooking for Bush 'N Beach.

Thanks Ron for all that you meant to me, I will miss you a lot. I hope the fishing in the sky is far better than what you left behind Mate.

My condolences to Sue, Ben and Tim.

Derek Bullock

argonautical
14-06-2003, 02:02 PM
A few years back I played a number of seasons of competition table tennis with Ron and got to know him a bit through this. He had his own special serve which was practically unplayable! Whether playing with him or against him, his sense of fun was always apparent and his handshake at the end of a match was always genuine.

He will be missed.

Phil

Lucky_Phill
14-06-2003, 02:16 PM
To a man, I admired for his integrity. I say, farewell.

To his family, my condolences.

To the many, many people Ron touched with his attitude to life, with his favourite " BnB " and his Radio Show, I am with you, in mourning the loss of this...." gentleman ".

Phill...................><>

imported_admin
14-06-2003, 03:12 PM
I send my heartfelt condolences to Sue, Ben and Tim.

Ron was truely one of life's gentlemen and he will be sorely missed.

My life is richer for having known Ron.

webby
14-06-2003, 03:34 PM
To Sue, Ben and Tim my Heart Felt Condolences :(

Ron devoted many years of his life to the Boating and Fishing Industries and he will be sorley missed.
Ron pestered me for many months to write for his beloved "B & B", and i hope the articles i have contributed have repaid your insight and #have been of benefit to others.

You will be sorley missed Mate. :(

Brian Webb.

Heath
14-06-2003, 03:38 PM
My Condolences to Rons family.

A lot can be said about Ron. But to sum him up in one word, would be GENTLEMAN.

Always there to lend a hand & advice. A friendly smile & a firm handshake. A truely amazing man.

May your lines be tight Ron, for ever more.
For every sun rise I see, I will give you a wink & say G'day.

Your mate
Heath

blaze
14-06-2003, 04:02 PM
Never met Ron, execpt through his posts on ausfish and you feel like you know him, always imformitive, from Tassie, will miss his posts

My condolences to Sue, Ben and Tim.

Lachie1
14-06-2003, 04:09 PM
A sad moment in the history of Ausfish. Ron was a great ambasador for fishing and boating in Queensland and he will be sorely missed. My condolences to his wife and children

Lachie

caveman
14-06-2003, 04:15 PM
i again did not know ron but by the way you all speak of him you all have my deepest sympathies in loosing somone so great

gary

Big_Kev
14-06-2003, 04:41 PM
I never got to meet you Ron but was looking forward to the day.
Your postings were always a good read, and I am always in strife for leaving the "BnB" lying around.
My condolences to Rons family.
Keep a tight line Kev

aquarius
14-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Although i did not know Ron Collins personally i felt he enriched our lives with his keeness to give fishing a special meaning....dedicated to the B n B Magazine and the 4bc radio program...He will be sorley missed.
My condolences to his wife and children.
Brent

clutter
14-06-2003, 05:01 PM
My condolences go out to Ron's Family. He was a great man and always had time to stop and have a chat no matter how busy he was. He always greeted you with a smile and never heard him complain. You'll be in our prayers Ron.

Clutter

xxxxhornet
14-06-2003, 05:53 PM
what more can one say? I didnt know Ron and didnt have the privelege of meeting him, however one thing that stands in my mind is a story he wrote recently in Bush N Beach about fishing with his sons.
Its a common thread handed down over generations of fathers taking there sons fishing, and I think Ron would have inspired many a family to get out there and enjoy what we all are so lucky to have.
I'm lucky enough to have two sons and it certainly inspired me.

I will miss his presence both here and in Bush and Beach.

Thoughts are with his family,

Andrew

adriancorrea
14-06-2003, 07:41 PM
Truly a sad day in not only on ausfish but in the whole fishing community. :'(
I had the good fortune to meet Ron at the boat show this year and he gave me his time to chat even though he seemed to be busy at the time.
From what people here have written about him here, thats just the sort of guy he was, and a good guy to boot.
Ron you sure will be sorely missed
To Rons wife and kids my condolences

Tight Lines
Adrian

Brett_Finger
15-06-2003, 03:29 AM
Struth!
that's knocked the wind out of my sat,sorry i could not get on-line last night.. :-[
Ron was a very funny man,always had me laughing on one of our conversations/phone calls.
i am very - very sorry i did not spend more time with this Gentleman.
my heart felt thoughts go out to all his Family and Friends !!
he had many Friends some i am luckey enough to call my friends as well,i know all will be hurting in this sad time.
Kindest regards,Brett Finger & Family.

Volvo
15-06-2003, 03:59 AM
My condolences to Rons Familly, i also did not know him personally.

sunrise
15-06-2003, 04:57 AM
To Sue, Ben and Tim my Condolences

Ron Help us keep our "Deams alive"

He will be sadly missed by all of us

Johno

Araby_Dog
15-06-2003, 06:31 AM
Memories keep the one you loved close to you in spirit and thought and always in your heart, today and forever.

Thinking of you with sympathy

Sam

Touchy - R.I.P.
15-06-2003, 06:45 AM
Condolences to all the Collins family,my life has been enriched in knowing one of lifes true gentlemen.god bless.Fred"Touchy"Wood.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
15-06-2003, 07:24 AM
the ancient celts believed that mariners lost on the journey became the night stars to guide their kin home.

I'll be looking for the new bright star on the beach tonite.

Travel well Ron Collins - thanks for a life well lived.

seeyainthesurf,

chris

Barrymundi
15-06-2003, 07:39 AM
Ron did tell me the other day his "was a bit crook".

I have only spoken with Ron on the telephone as he has also encouraged me to write a few stories for BnB. He is an inspiration and a true gentleman.

My condolences to his family.

lordy
15-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Condolences to his family and friends.

Kerry
15-06-2003, 10:37 AM
:( isn't really all that long ago that Ron was still posting. His outlook is something worth remembering, every morning, there's surely some wisdom there for many.

Kerry.

Fisherman02
15-06-2003, 10:49 AM
GEEZ
that has certainly come as a shock, I didn't know Ron personally but as many on here have said I feel like I knew him. He asked me if I could write stories about my adventurers in the porta bote and he would put them in bush n beach, just reading those words told me what a warm, and kind person he was my condolences to Ben, Tim and Sue
jack

Chris_J
15-06-2003, 02:04 PM
My deepest sympathy to Ron's Wife and Children...

Even though I never got to meet him personally, i feel that i know the man. Both through this board and BnB. What a sad day within the fishing circles( and beyond).
Ron has touched man peoples, all you have to do is look at this thread to see that. I'm sure that we are all better off from even our little bit of contact with Ron...

Regards

Chris J

I'll be looking for that new star tonite also...

spinna
15-06-2003, 02:13 PM
A man who will be missed by many. I like most people did not know Ron but had read a lot of his work that he loved so much and had a true passion for.

r.i.p Ron Collins

spinna

mackmauler
15-06-2003, 02:40 PM
Ron will be sadly missed, the discussions Ive had with Ron about all things fishing will not be forgotton, the pearlies pulled up today were dedicated to Ron, my thoughts are with his family.
Rob

Gazza
15-06-2003, 03:26 PM
I salute you Ron ,
thankyou for your sincere efforts on behalf of 'RecFishos'

To your family from mine,
Highest Regards mate,
Gazza
[smiley=angel.gif]

mono
15-06-2003, 03:53 PM
To a family, Sue, Ben and Tim, that have always supported and welcomed me, I send my heartfelt love and condolences.
To the man that has encouraged, guided and always been a strong support for me for the past eight years through the good and bad, all I can say is I will really miss you Ron.
May your ratchet always keep screamin'. Love Mark

Steve_Ooi
16-06-2003, 05:58 AM
It truley hurts to hear this sad news, as Ron was a true natures gentleman, that lived his life in true aussie spirit of mateship, alway willing to help, share and give.
Heartfelt condolences go out towards his family.

Steve Ooi

peterbo3
16-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Condolences to Ron's Family. But you are what you were and Ron was considered by all who knew him or knew of him to be a top bloke. You can't do better than that.

reelcrazy
16-06-2003, 09:24 PM
Regret I never had the opportunity to put a face to the name, but avidly read his intelligent input into our sport.

You will be missed Ron, deep condolences to your family and friends.

Tom

drevil
17-06-2003, 03:33 AM
Ron Collins will always remembered as a legend amongst the fishing community. Sadly his passing means that we will no longer hear his voice and read his stories, but he will never be forgotten nor will his contribution to recreational fishing.

My thoughts are with his family and loved ones...

bugman
17-06-2003, 05:07 AM
It's all been said about this man who was robbed of life much too young. I failed to recognise him at our last meeting on Fraser. It was hard to believe that something could do that to someone as strong as Ron. But even to then, the disease may have taken his body, but it never had his spirit. Who else would be offshore fishing on Fraser in that sort of state.

Condolences to Sue, Ben and Tim.

My donation to cancer research as already been made. I encourage others to do the same.

Brett Bugg

seqfisho
17-06-2003, 01:55 PM
My sincerest condolances to Rons family and freinds, it is a sad day when someone so young is taken from our midst, especially when they had so much time to offers others help without looking for reward. Its a pity we cant pick the ones to stay behind, he will be sorely missed but always remembered.

Regards Glen.

"If you can imagine it you can acheive it, if you can dream it you can become it"

Randall
18-06-2003, 04:30 AM
Condolences to Rons family.
I remember his particular talent for correctness on these boards and the way he liked to pick up on the spelling and gramatical mistakes we all continually make here. :)

The man was a great editor and B&B is testomony to that fact.

He always encouraged the young, budding writters and gave anyone who wanted a stab at writting a go.

I remember his last offer to young Jack to put together a piece covering the porta boat and its first few fishing trips. Jack, you should do this as a testimony to the man.

He will be missed.

Randall.

Birdy
18-06-2003, 12:16 PM
Sue Ben and Tim ,

You have my Heart Felt condolences.

I enjoyed Ron's company greatly and i am a bit lost for words but to say what a great man Ron was and the impact he had on me will be remembered for a long time.

Jason Bird

sav
18-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Only just heard. What a shock. Only knew Ron through B & B and his radio show. He will be missed by all the fishing faternity. My sympathy with Ron's family.

Regards
Sav

shano
19-06-2003, 01:40 PM
"DAMN" what a shock....just felt i had to write something also....wow what more can be said that has not already been said about a great man... he achieved so much in his time on this earth that many of us can only dream of doing. i say this "AUSFISH HATS GO OFF TO YOU MY FRIEND AND THUMBS UP FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE AND WHAT YOU HAVE ACHIEVED" yes i feel sadened by this but i will remember the good things about this man and be happy and celebrate what he has done for the fishing comunity in it self!we now have to try and be happy for what he has done ever so hard it is though.
you will be missed my friend condolences go to wife and family!
cheers shano!

landy1
19-06-2003, 09:40 PM
I dont think you could get news more shocking than this on this site. I only spoke to Ron once or twice but ive read every word he typed into BnB for years. it hit home as a double whammy just before as i read an old article he wrote on fishing reflections with his father. A great man who will be missed by many. My condolences to his family. If it helps i believe you get out of life what you put in and Ron must have got a lot out of life. An inspiration to us all.
Michael

fisho
20-06-2003, 07:00 AM
To the Collins family and circle of friends - my thoughts are with you.

craigie
20-06-2003, 02:54 PM
Apart from a short chat with Ron at the Boatshow a few years back, I didn't really know the man. Fortunately the Internet and the media has given me the opportunity to know him a little bit.
I'm saddened by Ron's passing and will miss his comments and expertise that he brought to this Chat Site.
My Sympathy to Ron's family.

Craig