PDA

View Full Version : Massive school of mullet... Tweed River

Render
25-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Gents...

I was fishing happily at me favourite spot on the Peed River this very arvo (note the use of proper Amphibian term for afternoon, there ;D), whistling 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life', 'cause the fish were pointing at me and laughing as usual.

Suddenly... nothing happened, but it happened suddenly. After that, I noticed lots of activity in the water - bow waves, things like that. A few minutes later, fish began jumping... lots of fish. I'm assuming these were mullet until someone tells me different... round, torpedo shaped fish, dark strip on the top, silvery sides, fond of aerobatics. These sound like mullet to you?

Anyway, these were flippin' big (I estimate well over 30cm) and there were thousands of them, close into shore on the shallows. I couldn't get them interested in eating anything I could chuck out, but then, that ain't unusual ::). I read somewhere that the mullet are about to run. Is this a massing place where they don't eat or just me usual fishy crapness?

This activity of a late afternoon has been occurring at this spot for at least the last two days. I was thinking that a bloke who knew how to catch these things could clean up there in a big way. As I say, it is me favourite spot, so I'm not going to post the location here in public where any bugger can read it... don't want hordes of tourists trampling all over me area! But if this is of interest to you and you want to go have a bash, send me a message and I'll give you the location :).

BTW, sorry I've been away for a while... long story which I'll post ASAP with an update on me hope-free efforts to murder fish :P

Cheers

R

mackmauler
25-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Hey there Render ;) thought you might of been sent back :P ive fished the tweed a few times since your last post and cant complain about the numbers of fish, 4 or 5 flatties on squidgies per arvo, best areas have been around the highway bridge rockwalls.

Sea mullet are seldom taken on baited hooks, it is against the law to jag them as well, I caught one with a lure once, jagged right through the mouth ;D cheers

Render
25-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Sea mullet are seldom taken on baited hooks,

Thank Cliff for that! I was about ready to quit the whole palarver when I couldn't get a bite in the middle of a shoal that size! If you've been fishing the Tweed lately, you might have heard a Hugh Grant type accent swearing at the top of it's lungs about the injustice of God, the evil of fish in general and pleading for a hand-grenade just to catch one f*****ng fish!!!

Yeah, I've dragged out a few flatties on the Gary Glitters myself over the last 2 days... you say ONE word, Mack or Kev... >:(. Still not a convert to the Howard Tax, as flatties are dumb and I haven't caught anything else on them yet, but at least I'm trying!

As for being 'sent back'... uhm sent back how, seeing as we own this place?? ??? Bloody tenants! :P

Oh, and on that note... not that I wish to gloat... ahem...

Bow before Mighty England, you beaten Wannabes! Crushed like a grape! Bwahhh haa haa! Now for the cricket and the 10-0 revenge mauling that Beckham and co will hand out to the Suckeroos next time they meet! ;D ;)

Cheers

R

SteveCan
26-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Let's see here Render....

Cricket - England have not one a series against Australia since the 1970's - truly ancient history.

Need I mention Rugby League.....

I was going to go on, but then, as Steve Waugh knows, it's not nice to kick the tender spots when they are down... Doesn't stop us doing it though ;)

I do have to admit that the English Rugby Union team are a team - they showed that to the all blacks as well. I think that there is every likelyhood that Eddie Jones is going to lose his job because of them.....

All we need to do to win is field a Rugby League side and we woudn't have to worry. Reminds me of when they asked David Campese what he changes to the rules he would make to improve the game after he retired. He listed about half a dozen changes before he was told - hang on - they did that 100 years ago - It's now called Rugby League!

Good Luck with the Mullet - it's a shame you can't use a castnet in NSW...

Cheers
Steve.

Cubesy
27-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Steve

1986/87 in Australia was the last series win for the Poms in the cricket (Fat Gatt was captian).

Cheers

Cubesy

Daintreeboy
27-06-2003, 05:37 PM
I was about to say throw a cast net over them. Can't you do that in NSW? Anywhere at all?