PDA

View Full Version : curtain reef

paul0
01-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Doing a trip to moreton soon to fish around curtain.
just wondering what is the best time to fish around curtain and what the best bait to use is ?

any input will help.
thanks

aido
01-07-2003, 06:47 PM
i have found it best to fish an hour each side of high or low tide at curtin artificial reef. this is due to the rip roaring tidal flows through there. anchoring up is easy, but don't feel bad if you lose an anchor of 2, easy to snag a ships rail, hatch or whatever.
you can get some surprising big hits on the wrecks, and i reacon heavier tackle is the go there.
my gps marks went west on my last boat, but just motor up the beach until you are between two white marker stick about 500 metres apart, then motor out perpendicular to the beach until you are in the drop off, about 15 mt deep from memory. if the water is clear, some wrecks will be slightly visible.
wish you luck.

nice part of the world there, and i love the cowan cowan beach, not supposed to enter, but the old gun mounts are interesting to check out and magic to watch the sun go down over the bay.

paul0
02-07-2003, 04:15 PM
thanks for the input .
hope to see you on the water

Lucky_Phill
02-07-2003, 04:26 PM
Find your wrecks on the sounder and make sure you anchor on the SAND, and using a Sand anchor.

Too many people make the mistake of thinking they are on a reef and use the pick. DOH !

Livies floated will account for good fish. Baits like Cuttle fish, Whole whiting and pillies will work nicely.

Phill

aido
02-07-2003, 11:27 PM
here's a pic from on the reef (wrecks), you can see the 2 posts and how far out it is. watch the wind there, the seas seem to pick up a bit on top of the substantial sunken structures.
had a location guide with gps marks of all the wrecks there, but can't find it now...

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dessaix/curtnsml.jpg

forget to mention, watch out for bubbles near you boat if there are large boats nearby, divers drift dive through there a lot and i've always had suspicions they fiddle the anchors a bit :o :o :o, lol.

my favourite line there would be 30lb spider wire, really feel every bang and clunk of the dropper sinker, try not to let your rig caught in sunken deckwork and such, or maybe those damned divers are out to get me again. ;D ;D ;D