PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Closure to Fishing Around Wolf Rock

Smithy
02-07-2003, 12:17 PM
Recieved an e-mail today from a reliable source that read:

Good Afternoon
Just to let you know there is a proposed 1.5 klm exclusion proposed for WOLF ROCK and all other close reefs by EPA bought on by dive charter companies from Rainbow and other areas, the only way to object is to ring David Briggs at EPA and voice your anger.
Sunfish have told them they will not accept this but reluctantly will accept 100 mts max for bottom fishing but all the area open for trolling with steel hooks only.
Regards
G

With a bit of digging I recieved a response below:

Hi Rob,

Contact Phone number for David Briggs is (07) 34062127.

Cheers
C

Lucky_Phill
02-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Have spoken to several people in QFS, recently on this matter.

It seems forgone that an area ( to be decided ) will be in place around Wolf Rock for Diving only. #Pelagic Fishing " may " be allowed.

More soon.

Phill

Smithy
05-07-2003, 07:28 AM
The person you actually need to speak to is Wade Lewis on 3225 1626.

Robert

Fisheasy
08-07-2003, 05:48 AM
I don't know why dive companies are given such priority. Up north, as long as they're 1 mile offshore they can dump all the sewerage they like on the reefs. You then have the divers/snorkellers standing/breaking off sections of the reef whilst diving. I saw it on a snorkelling trip from Hamilton Island a couple of years back. We were all told not to stand on the reefs but with a large percentage of tourists having no english, the warning fell on deaf ears.