PDA

View Full Version : new rod

isaacled
08-07-2003, 08:37 AM
hi all.
i am looking for a new rod(i am novice).i need some advise on what to get. i want to do a bit of beach fishing.thanks all that reply:)
isaac

Fisheasy
09-07-2003, 05:53 AM
Hi Isaac,
What species do you think you'll be targetting? The rod you want for bream (10'6) will be lighter than a rod for Tailor (around 13' and heavier duty).
If you live on the southside, Captain Blighs have an extensive range of surfrods from your cheaper Jarvis Walkers to the more upmarket Live Fibres from Wilson.
Team it up with an Alvey and you can't go wrong.

Mulloway_Mad
09-07-2003, 07:05 AM
Depends on what you are targetting and what type of reel you choose (and also budget). I have a definite preference for the Alvey's because you can drop them in the sand without doing too much damage. Just a quick dunk in the water will remove most of the sand. Just remember to give it a good rinse down and quick service when you have finished.

For the lighter work for Bream, Whiting etc. I use a rod built on a 4138 blank (by Butterworth I think) ... but they are as rare as rocking horse sh!t these days. Something built on the FT4144 would be pretty good and very easy to get hold of and will cover most light line situations. If you hit the rocks occasionally and want something a little heavier for the bigger things that show up in the break then the FT7144L is the go.

Just my preferences - there are 1000's of different options. If you have a little extra money and are prepared to spend up to $150 (possibly $200 for a really schmick job) speak to a custom rod builder - somebody like Allen Glover at Shearwater Customs.