PDA

View Full Version : What is it with small tinny owners!!!

rwells9999
16-07-2003, 03:25 PM
Hey guys, just about every time I venture out at night I'm confronted with small tinnies with NO lights on. I'm only a 5 mtr that weighs only 700Kg and traveling at 40-50 km/hour you dont have to be brains of Britain to see the hazard. I was out on Saturday night and even with a full moon my visability was poor. There were heaps of small tinnies out there, with NO lights. How about you spend some cash on some lighting so that our trips are less hazardous.
Robin (with lights)

gruntahunter
16-07-2003, 03:31 PM
here here

adriancorrea
16-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Also, whats the go with the no light on the the markers down at the pin going from cabbage tree towards short island??? [smiley=furious2.gif]

Tight Lines
Adrian

jaybee
16-07-2003, 04:37 PM
out the back of green a few weeks ago it wasnt just the small boats, a few 5 to 6 mtr jobs were on anchor or travelling about without lights either. In fact i had my anchor light on plus a fluro under my canopy and a large plate boat went past us within 5 mtrs, flatout and not a light on. The wash was enough to pull the anchor.
cheers.

Kerry
16-07-2003, 05:23 PM
I don't believe it's all that clever travelling in the dark anyway, lights and all it's like playing blind mans bluff.

Cheers, Kerry.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
17-07-2003, 06:36 AM
adrian,

lit beacons usually are only on main thoroughfares.

To travel cabbage tree to short if you don't own a GPS & aren't confident with using a compass, stars, the horizon & a torch, go up tiger mullet turn left at Mackenzies Channel (lit all the way). I spent 8 hrs one day marking all the unlit beacons around the pin in my GPS. Its hard being in your boat not fishing but I've never regretted it since.

Personally I can't believe the red beacon inside south straddie north of the bedrooms isn't lit.

chris

Mulloway_Mad
17-07-2003, 07:29 AM
No point digging at the small tinnie owners. My experience on Wagonga Inlet has shown that owners of bigger boats are the worst offenders.

I regularly fish at night in a small tinnie. I have all of the necessary navigation lights and even have a monster spottie (1,000,000 candle power I thinks) so I can see everything I need at night well before I get anywhere near it. The number of times I have had to use this light to show people in 4 metre + boats where the channel markers are because they are too stupid to prepare themselves properly is nothing short of amazing >:(. Almost bordering on frightening actually.

I often come across boats that I didn't know were there because often they don't have the necessary nav lights either :o.

At the end of the day it isn't small tinnie owners that are the problem. It is people that are too stupid to own a boat.

SteveCan
17-07-2003, 03:59 PM
This is a subject that I have privately dummy spit many times over. I have fished the broadwater quite a few times and I am horrified how many people motor about without lights.

so to all those people who travel without lights at night - #>:(GROW A BRAIN! GET SOME F*****G LIGHTS!!!!! YOU PILLOCKS! >:(

Whew - glad to finally get that off my chest.. ;)

Cheers
Steve.

adriancorrea
17-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Thanks Chris
luckily I know where they are so I dont have much problems but anyone without that knowledge could get themselves into trouble :o and they would problaby be the type of boat owners to be out there with no lights on their boat ::) ::) lol ;D :D

Tight Lines
Adrian

nofrills
17-07-2003, 06:53 PM
the one good thing about idiots with no lights is the person they hit will probably be the other idiot with no lights. :-X :-X ;D

harrya64
18-07-2003, 03:33 AM
So what with the nut travelling at speed in the dark ! are you sick of living??
like the pilot of a ship in Sydney harbour said to a ( Yachty going across his bow ) why dont you go somewhere els and comitt #Suicide.
Der

skippa
18-07-2003, 05:39 AM
Unfortunatly any fool can own a boat; any sort of boat for that matter.

Was fishing in the bay the other night when a 30+ ft yacht (in complete darkness ie no lights at all!!!) came past me within peeing distance and was quite dismayed when I expressed my feelings.

Next time I'll throw a hand full of my secert BURLEY to land 'splot' on his deck....... ;D ;D ;D

Skippa 8)

aido
18-07-2003, 07:24 AM
i quite like motoring on the bay at night, without a gps
though things might be different. nav lts and an overhead
360 degree white light is what i use. no need for nav lights
when anchored up, but then i leave the white lt on.
absolutely terrifying to pass another boat with no lights on.
maybe the waterpolice need to be more active nailing these
clowns, no lights at night is crazy imho.
probably clean up too with a required safety gear check.

all the same, i enjoy the weird sensation of motoring at night.
just stay about 500% more alert than normal is all.

and what's with the cool phospherescent trail my propeller leaves
behind at night? it really glows in some parts of morton bay. algal bloom???

i can see why people out of navigation channels, say the back channels
of the pin like to fish in darkness, i hate the glare of those transom mounted
anchor lights myself, (shocking loss of night vision) so i've set one higher up above the bimini top?? shields the glare. floor mounted light are high on
my 'if i can get around to it' list... lol.

whiteman
18-07-2003, 08:58 AM
Anyone who has launched early morning from Sydney's Pittwater boat ramp will no doubt have come across the local surf clubs practicing before work. Twice I had to take SERIOUS evasive action when I spotted them late in the gloom rowing across the main channel without lights.

Now I'm in NQ where rescue facilities are but a fraction of what's available in Sydney, I'm amazed at the number of boats that venture out without adequate lights and radios.

Big_Kev
18-07-2003, 04:01 PM
Aido that glow following your boat is probably the reputed ALIEN DEATH RAY and if it gets you your a gonna mate.
LOL Cheers Kev

mackmauler
18-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Hahahaha ;D Kev i pity your kids with stories like that ;D

Lachie1
18-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Isn't that trail like silica or something??? you get it when you splash ya hands or whatever in the water to. Especially round peel. I like the alien death ray though that sounds good ;D ;D

Cheers, L
achie