PDA

View Full Version : scarborough reef

inky
08-07-2003, 07:44 PM
# # hi people,
# # # # # # # # #can someone help me out with a query on scarborough reef, is it close enough to the shore to be classed as smooth waters, or is it a V sheet and flares location ? #[smiley=helpa.gif] [smiley=helpa.gif]
# # # # # # # # any help greatly appreciated. #;D #;D
# # # # # # # #
# # # cheers ron [smiley=bandana.gif]

NQCairns
09-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi if I have got it right it is about 300m off scaborough point, used to go there on a blowup mattess and a snorkeling mask when I was 15 or so. Do I have the right place? I tried to post a map also but strange things are going on and it wouldnot happen, anyway smooth water for sure. NQ

gruntahunter
09-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Mate it is definately partially smooth waters so you require the necessary equipment.

gruntahunter
09-07-2003, 02:26 PM
As a rough guide it is only the estuaries that are smooth waters and the whole bay is partially smooth . So buy some flairs first mate.lol

Big_Muddie
09-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Inky,

The following image comes from the Qld Recreational Boating Safety Handbook - Issue 16, available free from most marine dealers and tackle shops.
It might help with the various types of water that you intend to fish.

inky
09-07-2003, 06:01 PM
# NQ thanks for answering , i think its a bit further out than that , but i also seem to remember a few small closer reefs, which are probably the ones you are thinking of.
# grunta & bigmuddie . thanks for the info, will get some new flares before heading out.
# # #cheers ron # [smiley=bandana.gif] #[smiley=bandana.gif]

Hainer
11-07-2003, 05:06 AM
To the best of my knowledge Scarborough Reef is just inside Castlereigh Light. If this is the reef your thinking of then its smooth because its less than .5nm off the main land. Why not spend the money and invest in some flares anyway, they may save you one day.

flathead_killer
14-07-2003, 06:07 PM
Don't be fooled by its close to shore line. It can get pretty ugly out there too. And theres heaps of canopeners out there as well. You need to go out there on a dead low tide one day to check it out I'll be fishin it Monday night on the run up.

gruntahunter
15-07-2003, 05:49 AM
hey Flathead killer...strong wind warning for today mate and as you well know it gets bloody lumpy around there mate.I was going too but not now.
Fastboy I,m sure its zoned as partially smooth even though its only that far off shore.

flathead_killer
18-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Grunter yeah never went turned to crap weather that day and the day after.