PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga Dam

DeeGee
25-07-2003, 03:03 PM
I hope to be taking a trip to the Gladstone area later this year. I'm planning to stay for at least ten days, and maybe up to two weeks.

My main aim will be to target Barra in Awoonga Dam.

I will also be trying for a salt water outing or two - if the weather allows me to get out in my 16 ft tinny, but I have no local knowledge there either.

Any suggestions re the best time to go, and where, when, and how to fish would be most welcome.

Thanks, Don.

mackmauler
25-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Hi Don,

I went last october with a few mates, fished for barra in the afternoon-evening and along the coast in the mornings, The barra were hard work but there if you put the hours in. Do you fish the sportsfish in moreton bay at all? if you do you wont have any trouble if thats what you like, the shipping beacons extend out to sea a long way, follow them and look for baitschools and the like. ill put a few pics up.

cheers Rob

mackmauler
25-07-2003, 03:43 PM
barra on gold bomber

mackmauler
25-07-2003, 03:44 PM
The fish that couldnt be released in good condition made top crab bait.

mackmauler
25-07-2003, 03:45 PM
This queenie was fun to catch.

DeeGee
25-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Thanks Macca. Yes I do chase the spotties and the tuna in the bay from time to time, and bash the beacons with a livie once in a while, so I have a fair idea of what you mean.

I am thinking of going in late October or November, as I seem to recall reading somewhere that this is when the barra start to come out of their winter doldrums.

If anyone else has any further suggestions - don't hold back.

Cheers, Don.