PDA

View Full Version : Why is a Ship Called She

jaybee
30-07-2003, 09:03 PM
After reading the SS post thought I would put this up for some feedback, i already know the answer and will post after some replies.
Oh by the way, the french do not refer to ships as SHE. don't know why
cheers
joe.

clutter
31-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Its pretty straight forward. Boats/ships just like cars and other things mechanical can be a real BITCH at times.

Thats what I think anyway,

Cheers Clutter

PinHead
01-08-2003, 12:55 AM
I agree with clutter..when you think everything is working fine, then it just has to do different. And..you can make things worse..you can take a female on a boat..then you have 2 cantakerous females at once.

jaybee
01-08-2003, 03:29 AM
Not quite but heading in the right direction

Jack_Lives_Here
01-08-2003, 05:24 AM
Becasue the always manage to suck money out of your wallet????

landy1
01-08-2003, 06:50 AM
Mines a she because staring at something lovingly or coveting someone else larger version is uncomfortable when called a he :o
cheers
Michael
Bit sus about Phil and those shorts though im sure he called his boat he. ::)

jaybee
01-08-2003, 07:51 AM
Landy might be if he is french origin LOL, everyone is getting close, once i post the answer you will be amazed, I will run this post run till 8pm tonight then i will post the answer
cheers
joe.

imported_admin
01-08-2003, 08:01 AM
(Except in France)

A ship is called a "she" because there is always a great deal of bustle around her

There is usually a gang of men about

She has a waist and stays

It takes a lot of paint to keep her good looking

It is not the initial expense that breaks you, it is the upkeep

She can be all decked out

It takes an experienced man to handle her correctly; and without a man at the helm, she is absolutely un-controllable.

She shows her topsides, hides her bottom and, when coming into port, always heads for the buoys.

jaybee
01-08-2003, 08:06 AM
Good onya steve, i see you have been doing some research. Sorry no prize ;D
cheers
Joe.

zoomFishing
01-08-2003, 11:11 AM
After reading the SS post thought I would put this up for some feedback, i already know the answer and will post after some replies.
Oh by the way, the french do not refer to ships as SHE. don't know why
cheers
joe.

A ship is called a "SHE" coz she is always wet at the bottom!! ;D