PDA

View Full Version : Recfish Australia Response to National Survey

Graeme_Creed
06-08-2003, 10:14 AM
Media Release from Recfish Australia on National Survey

Recreational fishers welcome National Survey Results but want recognition

Recreational fishers today welcomed the release of the national recreational fishing survey which showed that the recreational fishing industry was worth $1,860 million dollars to the Australian economy.

The report also highlighted that the recreational fishing sector had released around 60 million fish or one out of every three fish caught. With very high survival rates of many fish, recreational fishers are making a clear and conscious decision to put fish back to ensure their angling future.

President of Recfish Australia Frank Prokop said that the report highlighted a number of issues which need to be addressed.

“This report highlights the total lack of recognition of one of Australia’s largest industries by commonwealth, state and local government. The report shows that recreational fishers spend approximately $62 per kilogram for their fish and this does not include economic multipliers.”

“To demonstrate the importance of the recreational fishery to the economy, recreational fishers caught around 30,000 tonnes of fish in the entire country for a return of $1,860 million. During the same year, the commonwealth managed South-east trawl fishery caught around 29,000 tonnes of fish for a return of only $72 million. The recreational fishery returned more than 25 times the economic activity for the same quantity of catch yet gets almost no consideration or funding from the commonwealth government.” Mr Prokop said.

The report also said only 4% of international tourists went fishing. With decent recognition and promotion, Australia could benefit from an increase in high expenditure, low impact international fishing tourism. However, with the exception of the Northern Territory, almost nothing had been done to promote recreational fishing by tourism bodies.

Mr Prokop believed that it was outrageous for some commentators to allege that recreational fisheries were a threat to sustainability. “There has been a revolution in recreational fishing attitudes which is clearly brought out by this report. Anglers are spending around $550 each for the privilege of releasing 1/3 of their catch while generating more than 25 times the economic input for the same catch compared to commercial fisheries. Recreational fishing relies on large numbers of fish as part of the overall experience and recreational fishers had been shown to be leaders in conservative management around the country.”

“It is time that all levels of government recognised the importance of recreational fishing and made appropriate catch share allocations, particularly of estuarine and inshore species to the recreational fishing sector.” Mr Prokop said.

“It is also time for the commonwealth to recognise the importance of recreational fishing, which also includes health and social benefits. I have asked Senator Macdonald if he knows of any other industry in Australia which is worth as much that is as patently under-serviced as recreational fishing.”

Mr Prokop welcomed the planning for the next survey which could be improved. Mr Prokop was confident that the next national recreational fishing survey would show that more fish were being released by recreational fishers and that the economic benefit had continued to increase relative to the catch. He hoped that governments would have finally recognised the importance of recreational fishing and started to provide management and infrastructure support.

ENDS

Media Contact: Frank Prokop – President Recfish Australia (08) 9387 7864 (Bus.)
Mobile 0419 949 118

Lucky_Phill
06-08-2003, 02:02 PM
here, here.

This is the ' hard ' evidence, that most of us have been waiting for.

It's not so much the $ value that takes precedent, but the " catch and release" effort.

And certainly, having that $ value going into the whole community, we deserve a say and much, much more recognition.

Cheers Phill

jaybee
06-08-2003, 04:03 PM
i'm a bit sus on recfish figures they got it wrong with tailor.
cheers

Kerry
06-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Hard evidence? if anybody thinks this is a good thing the greens will have a field day, especially the ones trying to ban fishing on the reef or where ever and to them it's fish and fish and 30,000 tonnes of them (in the millions now that sounds even worse), $$ they couldn't give a rats ar..

Some are obviously going to make a lot of assumptions and some of those assumptions as usual will be miles off the mark, nothing new in that.

Cheers, Kerry.

luigi
06-08-2003, 06:38 PM
You are probably correct about the greens having a field day Kerry but so will rec fishers if we play our cards right.

As you know, politicians are inclined to take notice of statistics so, if enough of us shove these details down their gullets we just might get somewhere for once.

It's worth a try I reckon.

Kerry
07-08-2003, 03:34 AM
Luigi, it's worth a try as long as one can support the figures at the end of the day. Many who were surveyed are now asking themselves How? those conclusions could be arrived at from the questions that were asked!

As for getting somewhere for once, I believe the reef re-zoning plan will highlight that no amount of fact (or ramming) will change premeditated minds already made up.

Cheers, Kerry.

PinHead
07-08-2003, 12:08 PM
From what I have read..the survey was conducted on 18400 amateur anglers. The total number of amateur anglers in the country is estimated to be 3.36 million. No one can be serious about basing any figures on a survey carried out on 0.54 of one percent of the participants. Twas just a waste of 3 million dollars from which absolutely nothing can be gleaned.

Brett_Hoskin
09-08-2003, 02:30 PM
From what I have read..the survey was conducted on 18400 amateur anglers. The total number of amateur anglers in the country is estimated to be 3.36 million. No one can be serious about basing any figures on a survey carried out on 0.54 of one percent of the participants. Twas just a waste of 3 million dollars from which absolutely nothing can be gleaned.

Rubbish...the info gained and the method used would be modified utilising Standard Deviation etc and would represent a good overall snapshot of what is going on.

Kerry
09-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Rubbish! I agree ::) but some how I think we're talking different types of rubbish :o

Cheers, Kerry.

Maxg
09-08-2003, 09:55 PM
I'm not sure who is kidding who. 9 years ago there were 4,500,000 rec anglers in Aust catching 45,000 tonnes of fish, and the value of rec angling was 3.5 billion. Which I might add provides 350,000,000 buks GST to the Feds.
But the other day I chatted the Industry Council in WA as to the rec fishing value in the state and they quoted "billions", wheras Fisheries reckon it is over $500,000 from 350,000 anglers. But there are around 500,000 rec anglers in WA, so the figures quoted by Recfish appear to be short on by about 50%.
In any case the facts are that of that 4.5 million rec anglers 10% catch 90% of the fish. Most catch nothing much.
It is pretty obvious that the overall rec angling value to the economy equals the commercial value,. all pro fishing. And they don't pay GsT wheras we do but in this state don't pay a license and therefore are NOT stakeholders in WA fisheries.
I've chatted people about the end result of the Rec fish GST dollar, in WA, and I'm given various answers, like the Feds aren't doing the right thing, but the Feds say WA gets the lot back while the WA Gov reckons the Feds cheat them.
Its a great buk passing game but Rec Angling WILL NEVER get proper representation until we all pay a license fee and demand a solid voice and proper represenation.
But I get pissed off reading these figures from organisations claiming to represent rec anglers but I'm one and no one has asked for my vote or opinion.
I'd like to see a registration of rec anglers, to find out how many there are. Just send an Email to John, saying I'm a rec angler mate, count these emails. Cheers Max
PS I got my 1993 figures from the commercial sector, who seemed to be pretty sure of their stats.

PinHead
10-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Rubbish...the info gained and the method used would be modified utilising Standard Deviation etc and would represent a good overall snapshot of what is going on.

How can any "standard" be used when not even 1% of participants have been surveyed. OK..I have done a survey..myself and Brett..Brett has not responded..but the question was..should catching as many fish as you want and keeping them be allowed? I respond yes (not my true thoughts but will do for this)... Therefore 50% of the people surveyed replied in the affirmative...therefore should we not be pushing the authorities for this ? Surveys are merely a guessing game and to give someone a few numbers they can push aorund to suit their own goals. Hell, if you lived by surveys you would be watching garbage like Blue Heelers etc.