PDA

View Full Version : bloody worms

aido
13-08-2003, 11:23 PM
Experts: Web worm attacks Windows, spreads fast
Tuesday, August 12, 2003 Posted: 11:27 AM EDT (1527 GMT)

• Experts anxious over possible Net attack

SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- An Internet worm targeting Microsoft Corp Windows users was spreading rapidly around the world on Tuesday, triggering computer crashes and slowing Web connections, experts said.

time to update that virus definition file again. sheesh.

striker
14-08-2003, 12:08 AM
One worm ya dont want on board

imported_admin
14-08-2003, 07:54 AM
time to update that virus definition file again. sheesh.

There are new viruses released all the time. It is best to have your virus software set to auto update the virus definition files. If this isn't possible with your virus software you should do it manually at least once a week.

A good source for the latest virus info is http://www.mcafee.com it lists the latests threats, latest hoaxes, latest fixes, etc. You can also do a free virus scan of your computer online. And of course you can buy their software.

The best way not to get infected is to not open any attachments and make sure that your E-mail software is set so it doesn't auto open any attachments.

Chrisso
14-08-2003, 09:09 AM
The stupid worm and somthing else got me too. >:( :'(Beacause i forgot to keep updating norton antivirus. :( hears a pic of the files it was found in and the name of the virus(s). :o

Hope it helps. :-/

p.s. if u can update as soon as possible. :-/

Chrisso

Jewmaster
14-08-2003, 12:36 PM
Im a computer tech and 500 of the machines I support have been hit today. ALL DAY LONG REMOVING VIRUSES. If they find the bastard I will kill him. Excuse my french. The virus has no payload and will not do damage as such. Updating your virus definition WONT stop tihs vrus, you need to download the WinXp or Win2000 Vunerability patch. If you don't have the patch it will continue to try and re-infect your system.

GRRRRRRR, NOT HAPPY JAN.

blaze
14-08-2003, 12:57 PM
hi jewmaster
Iam have problems logging off internet, have to switch modem off, and after on net for about 5 minutes get the message that sychost.exe will be shut down by windows, allso having email problems, try to send and i get out of memory error. Have I got a virus(apart from the flu) By rebooting all seem fine for a while. using win 2000
any help any body please
cheers
blaze

ba229
14-08-2003, 03:10 PM
sounds like it i'm afraid to say.

www.symantec.com has a removal tool you can download

Chrisso
14-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Members,
I fixed up mine its now stuck in quarintene and it can stay there. I downloaded the patch and red the info from symantec because i have norton. :D

Those in trouble read the website:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/ 8)

p.s. good luck with fixing the virus :-/

Chrisso :)

Jewmaster
15-08-2003, 05:10 AM
2 New variants of the virus have been released today. One called penis32 or mblastb. The current patch from microosft doesn;t appear to stop it and you will need to update your antivirus software again. Several other hackers have taken a copy of the virus code and changed it a bit, making it even more difficult to stop.

I still have over 100 machines to clean. I would recomend not getting on the net today or even untill monday.

Also go to microsofts security bulletin page if you must go online and keep downloading there recommended patches.