PDA

View Full Version : chew on this

Maxg
16-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Bloke, in 1986 or so, ran a paragliding thing on the Swan River and had 3rd party insurance. Woman got hurt so he claimed the insurance. Company said it wasn't a claim since he was operating in the ocean, outside the limits of the insurance cover. Anyway after lot of appeals as far as the Fed High Court, 2003, they, the judges, in their judicial wisdom????? declared that the Swan River was in fact part of the Indian Ocean. I guess because it's tidal. Anyway no insurance and the guy gets hit with ALL of the legal bills. What insurance do you have for your boat????.
Latest is of course that if you are an illegal immegrant, trying to bypass the laws of this country, and you get grabbed by the navy etc, the gov cannot put you in mandatory detention. Fed High Court reckons its illegal.
I think we need a Federal High Court like we need holes in our noggins. These guys have to be kidding, dontcha think.
Max

SteveCan
16-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Can't argue Max - the law is an ass...

I am a bit surprised though given that the Insurance industry had an obligation to honor poloicies in the 'spirit' they were issued in...

Went to the States last year for my Sisters wedding. My Dad got crook and ended up in a US hospital :o. Turned out the idiot travel agent had sold us travel insurance that covered everywhere in the world - except for the US! >:(

Beleive this or not - because the policy was sold for the express purpose of going to the US - the insurance company honoured the policy - and the $55,000 AUD bill from the US for seven days in hospital...

Swings and merrigorounds..

Cheers
Steve.