PDA

View Full Version : how big is a 2kg bream??

sharkbait
13-08-2003, 09:30 AM
Gday all, we got some good bream from the surf on friday arvo and weighed them at the gem on the way home, just out of interest, given that the classic started on sunday. The 2 biggest fish went 39 and 41cm respectively, which we thought would easily go 1.2 or 1.3 kg. But they were only 895g and 950g. Admittedly they had spawned already but I still thought they would crack the kilo. How long must a 2kg specimen be, or the 2.44 that was weighed 2yrs ago at the classic?

scottyb
13-08-2003, 11:14 AM
caught one last year. almost 1.6kg. 43cms
nice one at mooloolabah.
scottyb
ps. cant say where or I could be shot

Lucky_Phill
13-08-2003, 01:01 PM
Depends where you catch ya Bream.

Impound Bream can reach 2kg and only be 48cms.

Length doesn't always equal weight.

There's the " racehorses " and the " Sloths ".

you know what I mean.

Phill

Daintreeboy
13-08-2003, 01:52 PM
About 2000 grams ;D ;D ::)

Big_Kev
13-08-2003, 03:16 PM
Phil nailed it. About horse size.
Cheers Kev.

Touchy - R.I.P.
13-08-2003, 03:31 PM
Mate you will find a biggie like that will be more "belly"& shoulder thickness than lenght,last time I weighed one like that was em,aarh,cough,fart,burp ::) ::) ::),Jeeze it wazza long time ago anyway :P :P :P :P :P.Cheers Touchy><> ><> ><>

wizard
13-08-2003, 03:42 PM
You mean that bream get heavier than 700 or 800g and bigger then 25cm-holy snapping duck dropping,couldn't be in the GC broadwater!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Lucky_Phill
13-08-2003, 03:55 PM
I think Mr Wizard, you will be surprized just how big GC Bream get. donged a 1.125 there a couple of years ago, in front of *&^%$ Creek. Jeez, mongrel censors. ;D

Victory fishing club have a trophy for 3 heaviest Bream ( in one trip ) and that weight can be very, very good. Wishey might be able to inform us of these weights, from over the years.

Phill

sharkbait
13-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Yeah I suppose its all in the gut and the shoulders. Though some of these photos I see the fish seem to have a suspicious 'hump' and pinkish tinge, hybrids I tell ya!

webby
13-08-2003, 06:50 PM
Sneek into Juarssic Lake or the lakes on Kangraroo island and you might find one.
If you find one other then these places, let us all know.
The ones ive seen are around 50 + and built like a squire, with thich shoulder and you could fit a 30cm bream between his dorsal and his guts. Ugly suckers
but would still be nice to boat one.
regards

spike2
14-08-2003, 01:22 AM
once a bream reaches over 1 kg in size its brain is actually bigger than the guys trying to catch it ;D. the fish has been swimming around in school for fifteen years , gold coast bream have seen every possible bait , lure , plastic , net , known to man . the big fish are there in numbers but they require extra effort

cheers spike

bugman
14-08-2003, 04:45 AM
I'll brag.

My biggest is 44cm. Looked a hell of a lot like a squire. Solid as a bull and so tall it was hard to believe it was a bream. Came in a patch of "big fish" - of which 29 went over 35cms during two sessions over two days. Almost got double figures 40cm and above. (only kept fish over 35cms). I was by myself as well.

It's one of those things - I've been back to the same place using the same bait at the same time of the year and the those fish are elluding me now.

I was lucky to find a school of them that was feeding well at the time. Might never happen again.

I'll never forget it though. Phil knows where it is. But you can't catch bream there can you buddy ;) ;)

Bugman

Volvo
14-08-2003, 07:39 AM
2kilo??, Big Fish!!. Some Mules gettin about right now with plenty well over the kilo mark if ya pick the right tides ;).
Cheers

Lachie1
14-08-2003, 01:42 PM
I have got a 36cm breambo down the goldie :-X :-X :-X and it was 1.35 kg but had a gut full of stones and bread like as in a real big gut full of the stuff so it may have been a bit less had i caught it at a different time. but i catch bream all the time that by their length you would reckon they would be heavy suckers but bloody average really! ??? There are plenty of big bream down the goldcoast and mostly you just gotta ahavea good idea where to go. I have been lucky cos my nanna and aunty live on a creek :-X down there and i go there quite a bit and no the area well but keep exploring and night time with fresh or live baits ;) ;) ;)

Cheers, Lachie

sav
14-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Caught a bream back in the 70's on about 30lb line and a 3/0 hook (and I was fishing for bream) in a creek on the bayside. Was 17inches and weighed 3lb gutted -
How times have changed. I wouldn't have landed it on the gear I use for bream now probably (would have said I got smashed up by a jack).
Regards all
Sav

aquarius
14-08-2003, 06:10 PM
Biggest bream ive caught on the GC was from the logs area....40cms and weighed just on 1 kilo.....Have seen some big bream caught down the coast....THOSE IN THE KNOW SWEAR BY MULLET GUT FOR THE BIGGER SPECIMENS.
i JUST USE THE HUMBLE MULLET FILLETS (FRESH)
Cheers Brent

RobRocket
15-08-2003, 04:58 AM
Ive got a couple that have been just under the two kg mark. I found using cockles to be the bait. Fishing in water only 2 or 3 feet in depth.
But this is done @night in the middle of winter and not in the warm areas of the QC

sharkbait
15-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Are there really lakes on kangaroo Island Webby? Never knew that. It makes sense though cause the really big tides break the bank in a number of spots, it must go somewhere.

webby
15-08-2003, 02:52 PM
My mistake, re kangaroo island , its eden the one above kangaroo that has the two lakes.
I no of a 2kg brembo out of one of these that happen to win a competition :-X :-X.
Coomera lakes also produces decent bream.
regards

Render
18-08-2003, 05:26 AM
I was in K-Mart yesterday, having a thumb through the fishy books there.

If you look in the Starlo & Bushey book about catching bream on lures, there's a pic near the back of a 5 1/2lb bream! :o

It's flippin massive!

Cheers,

R

Nugget
19-08-2003, 01:52 AM
I weighed in a bream just over 2kg to win a Moreton Challenge a few years back - it was 48cm long.
I caught a 52cm bream last summer but released it without weighing it.
Phill was spot on - it depends on the condition of the fish and where it grew up - bit like us humans - depends on what paddock you've been in.

Alright Touchy - I know I've been in a good paddock, don't rub it in.
If I was a bream I'd be 4kg and 40cm long.

Dave ><>