PDA

View Full Version : Baffle Creek

Guardian
12-05-2003, 03:51 PM
I have a couple of weeks leave in July and have been looking at fishing in some other areas of Central Queensland. As I live near Rockhampton I have fished a lot around Yeppoon, Emu Park and Port Alma.

At the moment I am undecided whether to try fishing Round Hill Creek at 1770 or Baffle Creek further south. I have been to 1770 previously, but I have never been to Baffle Creek.

Can anyone tell me what it is like? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Daintreeboy
13-05-2003, 02:04 PM
Ok Brett, this topic is reserved for you ;D

Lucky_Phill
13-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Common' Big Fella, let him have it ! ;D ;D

Photos as well .

Phill

stilltryin
14-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Do the right thing and book the first day with Brett, after that if you still feel the need to fish then give it a go yourself....works for me

Stilltryin

Guardian
14-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the responses, I am however none the wiser as to whether or not it is worth going. At the end of this month I was going to take a drive down for the day just to have a look (check out accommodation and the area).

I would still appreciate knowing whether I am wasting my time or not. Should I simply just go to 1770 and fish Round Hill Creek instead.

mackmauler
14-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Fish the baffle, it is much better than round hill!

Brett_Finger
14-05-2003, 04:50 PM
ok,
lets see, the "Baff" is around 175km long about 50k's fishable i suppose,many rock and sand bars abound this fantastic system.
species to be encounted at various times of the year include.Barra - Jacks - Salmon - Queenfish - Trevally species - Flathead - Bream - Whiting - Giant Herring - Grunter - Tarpon - Estuary Cod - in mouth area , Mackrell - Tuna - Sharks - Barracuda - Tailor - tripple tail as well as all previous mentioned species just to name a few. ;D ;D

in July target such species as the Trevally - Queenfish - Tailor - Mackrell - Big Flathead - Big Bream and monster Tarpon around the mouth area, fishing soft plastics will see many - many hours of drag screaming fun,as long as the westerlies keep their strength down.

as for accomadation,
Peter and Gwen Marshelle run a fantastic campground on Oysta creek and side tributy off the Baff,
"Baffle Creek Campstay" has camping facilites as well as a great cabin set-up camp kitchen and hot - hot showers and great amminites block,these folk are great and will greet you with genuine bush hospitiality :D

Peter and gwen can be contacted on, 07 4156 6483 or e-mailed on bccampstay@bigpond.com.au

Steve Ausfish - Gary Fitzgerald and myself first stayed there 2 years ago and since moveing back to Bundy to guide,i have utalised this great place for clients from SA to USA as well as the "Creek to Coast" team, you will be more than happy with the accom.

here are some pics of the camp and a few grab and grins from the "Baff". ;)
hookin,Brett

Brett_Finger
14-05-2003, 04:52 PM
;D

Brett_Finger
14-05-2003, 04:55 PM
;)

Brett_Finger
14-05-2003, 04:58 PM
:o

Brett_Finger
14-05-2003, 04:59 PM
8)

Brett_Finger
14-05-2003, 05:03 PM
i cannot find the camp stay file here in my puta, i know Stave Ausfish still has some stored someware,hopefully he will read this reply and halp with a few Pic's.
i know there are other members out there with some nice Baff fish photos as well.
keep an eye out on the Ausfish boards, i know there is a "Fishing Bundaberg" site in the makeing at Ausfish HQ. ;D
Hookin,Brett

Lucky_Phill
14-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Nice work Big Fella ;)

Brett_Finger
15-05-2003, 03:19 AM
here is a few more teasers,i'll try to find the camp photos today and re-scan them.
Hookin,Brett

Brett_Finger
15-05-2003, 03:20 AM
:)

Brett_Finger
15-05-2003, 03:21 AM
;)

Brett_Finger
15-05-2003, 03:22 AM
:D

Brett_Finger
15-05-2003, 03:23 AM
;D

Brett_Finger
15-05-2003, 03:25 AM
:o

Voltzy
15-05-2003, 04:08 AM
BF
how did the cow taste? ;)
Voltz

Randall
15-05-2003, 04:23 AM
Big Fella...I had forgotten about the last pic.

Brings back some good memories of our 4 day adventure in the Baffle Mouth!!!

Love those leaping tarpon!!!!!

Randall.

Jack_Lives_Here
15-05-2003, 06:09 AM
Was that calf taken on an udder pattern????? ;)

Brett_Finger
15-05-2003, 07:11 AM
yes mate,
cast on a #321 Struddy, ;D ;D ;D
HEHEHEHEHEHEHE.
the poor little bugger was stuck in the mud,so we dragged into the boat and found a nice pice of bank to get it back into the paddock, mother cow just followed us along until we re-united them.calf was happy to be back with mum. :D
we went on to boat 54 Jacks for the day taht day. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Hookin,Brett ;)

Jack_Lives_Here
15-05-2003, 07:19 AM
That's the big wheel theory in action there.

Guardian
15-05-2003, 03:53 PM
My thanks guys for the great advice and for sharing the great photos as well. I am sold on the idea of giving Baffle a try in July, can hardly wait.

Brett_Finger
16-05-2003, 02:51 AM
i am stil trying to find those camp-stay pic's mate.there here in this messy office someware. ;D
Hookin,Brett

Brett_Finger
16-05-2003, 03:38 AM
ok,
have found the pic's and re-scanned them.
here we go,
this is the camp stay cabins,the amenities block is in the background.

the cabin/camp kitchen has all u need,all cooking untiensals plats pots-pans ect.... are provided,there are 2 fridges as well as toasters- jaffle makers- hot water jugs everything includeing the kitchen sink ;D

even if u are just camping there the full kitchen and all it's facilities are on offer if u chose.

most of the cooking is done on the fantastic camp BBQ,but if it's raining there is also a large gas BBQ in the kitchen area as well.
Pete and Gwen make sure u are well catered for.
Hookin,Brett

Brett_Finger
16-05-2003, 03:40 AM
this is the camp kitchen standing someware near the steps in the previous photo :D

Brett_Finger
16-05-2003, 03:42 AM
looking out the ktichen towards the BBQ,the camp creek is about 15meters behind it :D

Brett_Finger
16-05-2003, 03:46 AM
this is one of the moreings behing the BBQ,
just to the left of the previous pic is a loveley grassy area with shady trees,a very comfy deck lounge to lie on and un-wind,there is also a clod shower as well to was off the salt after fishing.
(nice to do before calening gear down) hehehe :o :o :o

Brett_Finger
16-05-2003, 03:56 AM
this is the camp ramp,
it is on the opposite side of camp Creek to the moreings,to walk to the ramp from the camp,you cross the creek over a great wooden bridge,and a short walk along a bush treck,(about 3 min walk from camp)

Brett_Finger
16-05-2003, 03:58 AM
this is a dam about 30 meters in frount of the ramp,the photo was taken just after sun-up.
Oh" did mention the dam is stocked with BARRA!!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brett_Finger
16-05-2003, 04:01 AM
here is the exit from camp creek into the main baffell system,it's like leaving the bat-cave,at high tide you leave via the trees ;D ;D ;D ;D
Hookin,Brett ;)

mackmauler
16-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Good photos there Brett, This camp, how far up river is it? I take it that it is in oyster creek somewhere.
Rob

Brett_Finger
16-05-2003, 01:04 PM
MM,
about a K up-stream from the "cresant moon" rock bar ;D
Hookin,Brett ;)

mackmauler
16-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Gotcha Brett ;) Is it still as good as ever!
Rob

Travis
16-05-2003, 03:50 PM
BF the camp stay brings some fun memories back to me...

If you look closely :o is that $40 up in the tree.... :-X :-X

great camp l can highly recommened it...

trav

Brett_Finger
16-05-2003, 03:58 PM
yah Rob!
the rock bar Rocks !!! ;D ;D ;D
hookin,Brett

Guardian
16-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Brett,

Many thanks for sharing your photos and for the info on the accommodation. I will certainly be in touch with Peter and Gwen.

I am certainly looking forward to heading down to the Baffle in July.

Len

Fitzy
16-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Hi Guys,
Original topic on the campstay is in the camping chat area. Click on http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=General_Camping_Chat;action=display ;num=1008732309

Pretty good place to stay, nice folks & very fishy water.

How 'bout that yellow ochre eh Bretto? (location joke)

Hope that helps.

Fitzy..

Daintreeboy
16-05-2003, 07:36 PM
Brett,
How many anglers were in action to catch 54 jacks that day, How many hours, was it all lure casting, what was the average size, how many hooks did ya's have on each line :D ;) ? That's insane fishing. What else did you catch that day? Chronic fatigue? ;D

Brett_Finger
17-05-2003, 02:32 AM
2 fishing - 5 hous - casting lures - 40cm out that creek - and a very sore back. #:-/

great fishing for sure,
on the first snag i cast at after we regained normal heart rate after dragging the cow around i got 5 jacks for 5 casts.

spoke to gun fisherman /taging legand and friend to all fishes, Bill Sawnock,he and a mate got a bigger number in a creek up Rockey way one day,i cannot remember the number but it was better than our great #day.
Hookin,Brett

dazza
17-05-2003, 05:36 AM
Might be a good location for a M&G later on in the year when the weather warms up a bit ;D ;D
I'd be in on that one
cheers
dazza

Brett_Finger
17-05-2003, 11:50 AM
Dazza,
mate there is a fantastic area at the mouth to camp a big spit area she-oaks shade and whtie sand at your feet #;D
and room for 100 camps #:o
either that OR we book out the Camp-Stay as an Ausfish Members Only Meet & Greet,i'm sure that can managed very easiley,i would prefer to go the camp stay option,it's in the middle of some insane fishing country and next to ( 2k's up the road) from shop - fuel- bottle'o ;D ;D ;D
hookin,Brett #;)

stilltryin
18-05-2003, 07:35 AM
Brett,

Could three or four boats with two anglers in each enjoy a weeks stay and catch fish in Baffle. I was going to Hinchinbrook later this year just for the opportunity to catch fish regularly on lure. If you reckon Baffle is a viable option then camp stay could get some good income. There could be up to six boats in the final tally if we fish closer than Hinchinbrook....Your thoughts please

regards

Stilltryin

mackmauler
18-05-2003, 08:41 AM
Stilltryin, sorry to butt in here

Have you got knowledge of the where and when of both areas? In the end it is you that is fishing, What are your expectations? Can you catch fish? can you enjoy it for a week?In the baffle, I can, hell yes I can ;D Can you? Can you catch fish? When it comes to the rock bars you have got to ask yourself the question? do I feel lucky? well do ya ;) What fish are you after? Barra are not in numbers similar to hinchinbrook, what will a big fresh do to one river if it happens? Would you be better off shifting to another? Is there another close by that you can drive the boat to? Do you like fishing 1 creek with that many boats? I don't, if you want to put fish on your lures without going the distance why not a barra farm? And how about the hinchinbrook scenery, does that rate for you? good fishn
Rob

Brett_Finger
18-05-2003, 03:44 PM
very good reply,MM.
Personaly id' go the long way and shoot to Hinchenbrook,better odds of getting better fish.those big schools of trevally and Queenfish that come out on the tide over the flats at the lucinda end of H/Brook just get my blood pumping hard!!

ya gotta love the insane action those alone provide,along wiht Barra - Jacks- Salmon and out off the pier .... well lock and load there,those mnster fingermark go off!!!

don't get me wrong the Baff would give you some great fishing but compared to the 45km of Hinny channell you got some massive country to split -up 6 boats.
and besides there are no crocks to spot in the Baff... :P
Hookin,Brett

stilltryin
18-05-2003, 04:55 PM
Brett,

Thanks for that, was looking mainly for size of area and whether there was enough room to support seven days of fishing...my main concern was if we would be tripping over each other and any other boats in Baffle at the same time...

I've spent a bit of time fishing Hinchinbrook and have had some pretty good luck, as most fishing is....each year we try to head to a new location looking for that elusive eldorado....stilltryin.....Hinchinbrook looks to be remaining on the top of the list for now....

Baffle is one creek I haven't fished and never visited there with Harro......don't know why, seems to be a good place......will catch up with you one day and swap stories...

regards

Stilltryin

Brett_Finger
18-05-2003, 05:06 PM
hehehehehe,
ask Harro about the rock bars,i said, "follow me Harro,go exactualy where i go......." he did and had no probs,until.... he drifted a section of bank with a big rock spit comeing out 50m just under the surface,by the time i yelled out about it,the boat had drifted just onto it,luckley for all the prop sustained a small ding or two,it could have been much worse #;D
we had a small amount of time in the system (as you do when fishin with rod) but i managed to show him a fair amount of it,(on #the plane #;D) not a lot of time to stop and explain the bottom and the many rock bars to him.
i am takeing him back at the end of the year for a much more serious fish.
Hookin,Brett #;)

Guardian
19-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Brett / Rob,

From the notes that have been posted It would appear that there are a lot of rocks and sand bars that would cause the unsuspecting fisherman to come to grief. What would you suggest as the best plan of attack?

Contact you guys near to the time I am looking to visit the area? Are there any maps of the area, charts etc that I can obtain?

Brett_Finger
19-05-2003, 02:00 PM
yah,
i'm your chart,so leave room in the boat 4 me,i could do to get away from these wild children of mone for a few days. ;)
just let me know when WE are going... :P
Hookin,Brett ;D

Brett_Finger
22-05-2003, 03:27 AM
Hi Guys,
Original topic on the campstay is in the camping chat area. Click on http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=General_Camping_Chat;action=display ;num=1008732309

Pretty good place to stay, nice folks & very fishy water.

How 'bout that yellow ochre eh Bretto? (location joke)

Hope that helps.

Fitzy..

Hi Fitz,
i just re-read this post and corected my crap spelling and gramer. ::)
all i can say is, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
i had forgoten about yellow ochre #;D ;D ;D ;D
ya gotta be happy with that #;)
Hookin,Brett #:D

Fitzy
23-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Hi Fitz,
i just re-read this post and corected my crap spelling and gramer. ::)
all i can say is, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
i had forgoten about yellow ochre #;D ;D ;D ;D
ya gotta be happy with that #;)
Hookin,Brett #:D

HAHAHAHAHAHA
"I wont tell you my life's story but I can't tell $#1t from cheese".

All the while ol' Potsy was singing Toot toot chugga chugga big red car while we was fishin.

fitz

Brett_Finger
24-05-2003, 04:00 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,
had forgotten that one as wel !!! hahahahahahaha.
Ya Gotta Be Happy With That!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
we should do it again soon Buddy.
Hookin,TBF!! ;)

mackmauler
19-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Baffle ;)

flytime
19-08-2003, 04:09 PM
mackmauler you are a legend mate .
thanks steve. ( MY SHOUT FOR A BEER OR SIX)next time we meet. :)

Brett_Finger
20-08-2003, 09:12 AM
some more good news for the Baff,
looks like it is ging to be closed to all beam trawling and pro-nets. ;D
should be great in a couple of summers time ;D
i will have my new guide boat in the next few weeks and be back on the creek 4 days a week!!
Ya gotta be happy with that!!
Hookin,Brett