PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things we do

nonibbles
14-08-2003, 08:23 AM
I've started this one to prove to my wife that I'm not he only one who does these things.
For example, I am currently getting jibed about innocently placing my nice lures in the bucket so I wouldn't stand on them once they were removed from my rods. Pretty sensible, huh?
I also thought that the best spot for my nice new single pocket monofilament cast net would be in a bucket. Pretty sensible, huh?
Guess what? Same bucket :P
Damn those hooks are sharp! 2 lures= 5 trebles stuck right through the bottom rope and tangled.
Surely I'm not on my own here.
Tell me your stories.

Daintreeboy
14-08-2003, 08:40 AM
When I was young I threw my cast net over a dark moving patch of what I assumed was bait. Turned out to be several hundred Eel tailed catfish closely bundled together about 2 to 3 inches long.
It took over two hours to clean the net out at home with their spikes and all (surprisingly most lived).
I went straight back over the beach and saw this dark moving shape in the water and automatically threw the cast net over it.
Two more hours later I thought maybe I'd be better off trying tomorrow.
So guess what I did the next day..... :D :'(

Jewmaster
14-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Brand new lure, First cast, hooked a nice barra, 1 jump the fish was lost, still jumping with the lure attached, but not to my line. It helps when you close the trace clip, the lure seems to stay on longer.

Daintreeboy
14-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Picked up a couple of friends from down South and took them up the Daintree. In all the excitement of chatting away I ran straight over the Ferry cables! :-/ I was going slow as I knew it was there but thought it was going the other way when I looked up to see where it was.
STUPID :P

caveman
14-08-2003, 04:38 PM
got bored casting for barra so started stuffing around casting at things in the water had wayward cast gave it a jerk so it wouldnt snag it came screaming back at me so i put my hand up to block it and yes it stuck firmly in my arm

Daintreeboy
14-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Up a small creek a large tree branch was blocking our way to a snag further up. I tried to climb over it and it snapped. I fell onto the bow of the boat on my back and bounced before the tree landed on me and then I fell into the water (Daintree again).
STUPID

Daintreeboy
14-08-2003, 04:47 PM
A mate was pulling in a Cod around 40 pounds on a night reef trip. After saying the fish seemed suddenly easier to pull in I shone the torch over the side to see a large shark pushing the fish towards the boat. After smashing it's head against the hull it managed to bite the cod in half so I gaffed the remainder and lifted it in. I held the fish over the other mate who was sitting down and was commenting on how amazing that was, the whole time covering him with blood spurting from the bottom half of the fish.
STUPID ;D ::)

caveman
14-08-2003, 05:00 PM
daintree i dont think i want to go fishing with you lol

Daintreeboy
14-08-2003, 05:04 PM
ROFL I was waiting for that ;D I got more too :D :o ;D

caveman
14-08-2003, 05:07 PM
next time i'm up north i will look you up

predator
14-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Stupid things I do..............travel 40 k's to the boat ramp. when there I relised the gps
and sounder were in the house. :'( bugger!! :-[

nofrills
14-08-2003, 06:02 PM
went flicking lures up a creek one day.Cast over a branch up high above the creek.tried to flick the lure back out,1 lure firmly embedded in branch.thought id use the rod tip to retrieve my lure.Guess what ,2 piece rod,1 lure & half a fishing rod stuck up tree ::).
cheers scott the tree climbing fisherman ;D

aquarius
15-08-2003, 04:16 AM
Went to the boat ramp one day and left all the fishing tackle at home. :o.doh...had to go to a servo and buy hooks sinkers etc..lol
WHAT THE HECK...THATS FISHIN!!!!!!!!
Cheers Brent

Chris_J
15-08-2003, 05:11 AM
Well one of my best was when i was taking a mate out for his first go on Cooby Dam(electric only)...

We had been planning the finer points all day but when we arrived at the dam i discovered that the battery for the electric was still sitting on the shed floor... ::) Always the way....would've been a great arvo on the water too...

We did manage to get 5 yellas off the bank though...so all was not lost...

Cheers

Chris :)

RobRocket
15-08-2003, 06:33 AM
My brother and i had been fishing all morning, without any luck. We were heading back to the ramp when we seen a sea eagle drop a fish in the water ahead of us. I drove towards the fish, Took of my shirt and dived in. Boat and brother continued to go past minus the driver.
(Would have made a great photo). Turned out to be a smallish Flathead who was having a bad day

SteveCan
15-08-2003, 07:31 AM
Went to go fishing in the canoe - got to the location and realised I had left the battery at home - D'oh.

No worries - left Lindy on the bank fishing while I took off like a mad man home, put the battery in the back of my Shiny new Patrol and hared back to the spot. Only to open the back and dicover that because I hadn't secured the 85amp/hr deep cycle it had tipped over spilling acid ALL OVER MY NICE NEW PATROL'S CARPET!!! AAAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHRRRRKKK~%@**%^&!!

Bugger
Steve.

Jack_Lives_Here
15-08-2003, 09:01 AM
WHOOOPS!!! :o

Was bait netting for prawns down Schultz canal one night and getting a feed. Netted a whole school of those boody eel tailed catfish. I was telling my buddy how to carefully flick them back in the water with your foot - BAM spike straight throught the shoe into the toe. Not learning from that experience - did the same thing on the next run. :-[ They hurt like hell. :o

adamleah
15-08-2003, 12:44 PM
I have done a few...

1.when a young fella I stood behind my old man while he was casting a handline and ended up with a No.1 Longshank through my eyelid

2. sitting at the boat Ramp with 2 weeks worth of camping gear in the boat my old man was pushing the boat off the trailer with the winch cable still attached.. yours truly walked into the spinning winch handle and ended up with 5 stitches in his head..
WE didnt go camping!!!!

3. Drove to the boat ramp 4am in the middle of winter with 30knots s/w blowing, launched the boat with my mate standing in water holding the bow, realised keys were still at home ...
Returned 50minutes later to a very annoyed/frozen mate..

4. And the old favourite ..launched the boat and forgot the bungs... come back from parking the car and water everywhere and missus didnt even notice..
Had to dive under boat to bung up and bilge out..

Oh The joys we have!!!

Neil_c
16-08-2003, 05:15 AM
Geez and I thought it was just me ::)

I took the family fishn last Sunday and after setting up everyone elses gear was in such a hurry to do mine that after I had tied on a beaut looking fly went to chuck it out, but something was just not right. It seems the line does have to go through the guides :-[

Neil :)

col_aus
16-08-2003, 07:22 AM
for a while down this way it was a bit of a trend to free gaff makos swimming up the burly trail (great on the barbie)what the didnd say was you only gaff the small ones ,i rember my first and last time on a 60 pounder that left me with gaff handle imprints on my forhead and alot of whitewater lol i loved that gaff to :P

fishy_phil
16-08-2003, 08:12 AM
gday
hows about havin all three parts of a treble a number 4 i think it was...it was on the back of a tiger minnow, (up to the split ring) stuck firmly in shoulder...that went through a flannelette shirt a skivvy and a jumper...and then having to get my father to cut it out....but thats not the bad bit... he got two out and couldnt get the last bit, out so off to the hospital and getting 8 stitches!!!!
it looks to me that i have the best story of the lot so far...but i guess that isnt really something to be proud of is it...
cheers
phil

sharkbait
16-08-2003, 09:19 AM
well i launched my boat without the bungs, thats gotta be up there...

NQCairns
16-08-2003, 12:11 PM
I got one. I was loading the boat onto the trailer late one nite at a pitch black boat ramp, in a hurry to get home for a coffee and warm up, then a few days later i launched at the same ramp, pulled the boat up onto the sand and went to park the car n trailer. Wandered back enjoying the water view to find sand and salt water filling the boat up! Confused I checked the bung it was in. I beat it back fetch the car in a panic backed it down the ramp at a thousand miles an hour (redline in low range)people were staring, waving fingers and got the boat far enough on the trailer only just in time to save her from the bottom. What I had done was open the bottom of the tinny up for 500mm like a can opener that dark nite on the metal side of the first roller, now always double check she is coming up straight now no matter how cold I am. I must have launched this boat at least a couple hundred times in the 10 years I have had her, just goes to show it only takes once. Do! Onya Homer! Nq

JediFisherman
17-08-2003, 02:01 AM
Was fishing by this largely populated Ferry, having an awesome time.

The ramp was slippery though, and I had on these RM boots and my mates kept telling me to be careful.

So anyway I am watching where I am going, trying to get further down the ramp to get to the flatties when all of a sudden my legs slide and slip out from underneath me.

Needless to say I ended up flat on my back, cut my arm to bits and had a ferry full of Japanese tourists laughing, pointing and snapping away with their Kodaks.

:-[ :P :D

adrian
17-08-2003, 03:53 AM
i only did it once but i've left the bungs out of the boat too . couldn't figure out why my mate and i where getting our feet wet while fishing out side one winter so guess who had to dive over and put them in

anzac

Chris_J
17-08-2003, 06:10 AM
I got another one....

Me and a mate were throwing poppers at bass up at Cressbrook, it was getting dark so i took off me hat and put it on my tackle box...

We continued to fish...then it came to change lures so i took my lure off(brand new c'ultiva zippin' zag, Owner trebles) and just chucked it on to my "tackle box". :-[

When it came time to pack up i rested me hat on me head as we motored back across the lake...went to take my hat off....and it wouldn't come off!!!! :o ::)

Thats right a set of owner trebles in the back of my head...didn't feel go in but sure as hell felt em come out...

I was on my knees, holding the skin on my head, stoney just pulled em out with a pair of pliers...i always check me hats now...::) :-X

Chris

Daintreeboy
17-08-2003, 07:40 AM
Caught a large river whaler at the mouth of the Daintree once and heaved it in the boat to take back to the hut we were staying in. When we were lifting it out, I had the tail and my mate had the head. One of his friends from down south said "be careful that you don't fall in" when we were carring it on the pontoon. He replied "I'm not goin to..." SPLASH and down came the shark on top of him. We were all laughing too hard to help him. :P ::) ;D

Big_Kev
17-08-2003, 09:42 AM
My father in law is one of those blokes with the 21ft boat and isn't the sort of person that should be a boatie.
So one day after seeing some clever person back down the ramp into the water apply the brakes to slide the boat off neatly and the person on warms her up while the car is parked, father in law decides to give it a go.
Unhooked the winch and safety chain, even pulled the tilt pin out of the trailer.
Backed it down taking up three lanes and hit the brakes as a test, problem was he was ten feet before the water line.
Broke the skeg from the bottom of the leg, stuffed the prop and took over an hour to get it back on the trailer with the help of some other disgruntled boaties trying to use on of the other lanes.
all this the day he got the boat back from the mechanics following a two and a half grand rebuild following an event with a sandbar.
Don't backchat me fella I know boats.
Cheers Kev.

Daintreeboy
17-08-2003, 01:48 PM
While the parents were at a fishing weigh in when I was a kid I was riding a bike with a heap of other kids on the ferry. I lost control and smashed into the side rails and while the bike stayed attached to them, I somehow slid between them and off the side. Problem was the ferry was parked at the ramp so I fell in only about 6 inches of water and the bottom was concrete.
It hurt a bit.... and everyone laughed too. ;D

caveman
17-08-2003, 03:14 PM
doing 40kms in the boat decide to cut a corner next thing i'm making love to the console of the boat with engine reving hard think i'd lost the prop look over the back all i can see is sand i think the other boats were laughing at me as they went past as they slowed down to have a look

Daintreeboy
17-08-2003, 06:23 PM
I did a similar thing with my girlfriend at the time up a small creek. It was a shortcut and when I swerved to take the next creek at 90 degrees the boat dug in and threww me against the side of the boat/console. By the time I got myself together again we were headed straight at the trees. I straightened up at the last minute and saved us but filled the landing net up with leaves as it was sitting in the side rod holder....err there was also a rod in the rear holder Shows how close we come.
STUPID :D

jimbamb
18-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Gday people,
A mate and i were fishing in The Macintyre River one day.we had a few set lines as one did back then.After tea ans a full bottle of op rum we decided to ckeck the lines at midnight.
Set off up the river flat chat and hit a submerged rock throwing me into the middle of the boat and my mate nearly went over the front.
The motor screaming and going in circles.Finally got it stopped then didxnt know which way way home,Finally found the next camp.we had gone the wrong way!!
Lucky we didnt drown!!!

col_aus
18-08-2003, 02:37 PM
was watching a guy putting his boat back on the trailer on an open sea boat ramp one arvo.this guy was trying to drive it on and as he got it lined up a swell got underneath him just as the throttle went down and he ended up with a new model falcon (one with a stacer spoiler )

scott_b
18-08-2003, 02:46 PM
Who's forgotten all their cooking stuff ,thank god for the toolbox and the old HX hubcap.
Old fella wasn't reel keen on his black hubcap
wamjam

Daintreeboy
18-08-2003, 03:31 PM
Sounds like a few beers were involved with this one ;D ;D ;D
Not that there's anything wrong with that..... ;)

Gday people,
# # # # # # # # #A mate and i were fishing in The Macintyre River one day.we had a few set lines as one did back then.After tea ans a full bottle of op rum we decided to ckeck the lines at midnight.
# # # # # # # # # Set off up the river flat chat and hit a submerged rock throwing me into the middle of the boat and my mate nearly went over the front.
# # # # # # # # # The motor screaming and going in circles.Finally got it stopped then didxnt know which way way home,Finally found the next camp.we had gone the wrong way!!
# # # # # # # # # #Lucky we didnt drown!!!

freefish
18-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Watched as a small Suzuki towing a large (6 mtr) boat backed down the ramp with the tide at dead low. Touched the brakes to slide the boat off. Only trouble was the slime on the ramp & the boat stuck to the trailer & pulled the whole rig in. At least the boat floated free. The dilemma was what to save first.

caveman
18-08-2003, 04:23 PM
ok heres anoyher when i was a pro roo shooter i was on my way to the property 30kms out of town seen a roo on the way out went grab the gun only to find the bolt still sitting at home ::)

snappa
18-08-2003, 04:30 PM
just finished painting my lures and hung them from the roof rack of 4x4. the wife came out wanting to go to the shop for bread ..i replied use the 4x4 and you guested it she drove off with the lures and on her return i had one left i jumped into the 4x4 drove down the road to find some of the lures had been run over and i recovered 2
i forgot i had put them on the rack.

stilltryin
18-08-2003, 05:00 PM
A good mate of mine was by himself in his boat in a popular SEQ river trolling for flathead or anything else silly enough to have a go. He sort of fell asleep still holding onto the rod and tiller and drove the boat between two other boats missing both of them and then ran up the bank still asleep. Took a while but a bit of yelling woke him up. No fish though.

Daintreeboy
20-08-2003, 02:53 PM
I think we might have a winner here. I almost did a similar thing but woke up before the boat hit the beach but that is just hilarious. I would have loved to have been in one of the other boats watching!! ;D ;)

A good mate of mine was by himself in his boat in a popular SEQ river trolling for flathead #or anything else silly enough to have a go. He sort of fell asleep still holding onto the rod and tiller and drove the boat #between two other boats missing both of them and then ran up the bank still asleep. Took a while but a bit of yelling woke him up. No fish though.