PDA

View Full Version : charter fishing bag limits

mackmauler
14-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Ive never liked reef charter boats,and the extended trip limits dont sit well with me either. Its hard to argue about zones when this is what goes on, taken from sewah charters last week :o

predator
14-08-2003, 05:18 PM
seems to be a few smallish ones there.....surely there is enough larger reds on there for everyone aboard.....they are ruining their own industry :(

krazyfisher
15-08-2003, 03:38 AM
I bet they are proud >:(
charters should be about sport not meat!

flytime
15-08-2003, 07:03 AM
THAT is disgusting . >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

jaybee
15-08-2003, 07:37 AM
Question? How many people were on the boat?? Red Emporer is minimum 45 cm 10 per person. Just spoke to a guy named rodney in dpi call centre, if you go on a charter the in possesion limit applies, 30 mixed reef.
cheers
joe.

mackmauler
15-08-2003, 08:05 AM
Probably 13 jaybee, nothing out of the ordinary that catch, the limits need tightening or dont they..but thats what managers are for isnt it ??? its nearly as bad as the bycatch from the trawlers the other morning, kilometers of dead fish floating on the 50s :(

jaybee
15-08-2003, 08:51 AM
This raises a question rob, most charters advertise no bag limit, yet dpi says there is, so there appears to be a discrepancy somewhere, and if so how do they enforce it.
cheers
joe.

Kerry
15-08-2003, 09:01 AM
I see a few emperor there (not many), the odd trout and red throat, but there also appears a bit of rubbish and a lot of Hussar (& stripeys which both appear reddish as well) in that lot which have no bag limit only a length limit.

Best use for Hussar is Emperor bait ;D.

What is rather annoying is the mexicans that go north for a "fishing holiday". One can pick em a mile away, 12 blokes or so, 4 or 5 vehicles, 3 for the passengers, the ute with the cold room on the back and the odd trailer being towed with more cold storage.

The excuse for all the cold storage :-X keep the beer cold my ar.. ::)

Cheers, Kerry.

Lucky_Phill
15-08-2003, 02:11 PM
That was a poor effort from a Charter, really with 13 guys.

Couple of things.
1. They've been gutted and gilled. Bad Health & Safety Practice. Fillets and snap freeze is the preferred method.

2. Hussar are lovely eating fish, and any over 35coms are great. Same can be said for the Stripeys.

Trouble being, every bloke on the Charter wants a Trophy fish. The skipper feels obliged to get them something like a Big Red. When the skip says drop ya lines, ya got 10 plus blokes doing it at once.

I personally believe there are far too many charter operaters and in particular the Brisvegas / Gold Coast / Sunnie Coast area.

I also noticed on the bottom right hand side of the pic, there seems to be another container / esky containing more fish.

The charter operators seem to be abiding by the bag and possession limits. I know that " most " of them record their catch.

Here's a thought.

take to 5 biggest fish in that picture, add some smaller stuff to get to a bag limit. Now place that into a rec boat with those numbers for each of the 3 folk in that boat. Now these folks are in a club and there was 5 boats fishing that day and all got the same catch.

That would far outweigh what the above charter guys got. BUT, put all the fish in the one Photo and it looks like a slaughter.

The problem will arise when the GRUMPY gets their Reef closures through and all these charter guys start fishing in the very small areas left.

Solution.............? I don't freekin know.

??? ;D 8)

Phill

Volvo
15-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Personally i reckon Stripies n Hussar are okay eatin fresh but kinda crap if frozen(my opinion) as for Charteries n bag limits?? they have the same (each person) bag limit as all other Rec fisho's unless they stay out there more than there 24 hours. 48 hrs i believe.
Which to me sucks cause if i stay out there the same amount with my boat i still have ta stay with the normal bag limit. Which to me amounts that someone is favouring the Charteries??.
Cheers

skales
15-08-2003, 05:08 PM
Well just how many of you know the bag limits ? Well if you stay out on a extended charter 48hrs or even a week the limit it 60 reef fish per person ,and there is a break down on numbers for each species .I have only just lately returned from one out of Bundy , on which 12 of us spent 4 days fishing the reefs .For a trip done once a year and the cost I think 60 fish is low target until you try and get it .The captains of these charters don't sit over a spot all day and let you bring in fish after fish they move so that fish on that reef are there for the next trip. This is his living so why would he wreck it !! I travel up and down this coast of ours and constantly see large private boats being towed to lower parts of the reef doing the same ,so why complain ?,Maybe some of you, just like cricket scores in bream and whiting caught in our part of the world .

Lucky_Phill
15-08-2003, 05:16 PM
You are absoutely right skales. Probably about time some fishing clubs start thinking about increasing size limits and having bag limits. I know some clubs already do.

Personally, I can't see the point of donging 170 Bream a night. Yes that actually happened a short time ago. And that is 1 bloke in a night when a few were fishing. actual total numbers caught that night...........let's just say many.

I know that the numbers game will say that the fish stocks targeted by club fishoes is not in danger and just as many fish are caught today as 20 years ago.

But , is that the logic behind a fishing club.

I believe it is to prove your skill, and that always doesn't equal filling an esky or two.

Maybe the time for an attitude change is approaching ?

??? ::) ;D ;) Phill

skales
15-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Phill , I find that is alright to bring in all these bag limits , but when is this goverment [fisheries dept ] going to get off there arse and be serious by inforcing the laws they introduce .By this I mean have personal on hand 24 hrs a day 7 days a week and go to boat ramps ,jettys and the likes . At the moment all anyone gets is a recorded message and no action. To me this department is not serious is the laws it upholds .As for fishing clubs most are doing the right thing by limiting there numbers and increasing sizes .To look at the big picture I don't think it is that sea has been over fished but a change somewhere in our world ,long summers , short winters ,development of coastal areas ,who knows ?

BS
15-08-2003, 07:08 PM
To throw a couple more issues in......I've seen a few live trout boats come into Cooktown. 100's of kilo's of prime trout, red throut, nannygai's etc coming off each boat destined for export to Asia. Now is that good or bad for us all ???. Until proper management is put into place nobody will know :-[.

Closing entire areas of reef isn't the answer either. (sorry to digress) but the 24's of southport aren't being designated a green zone - is it too late ??? or isn't reef management a national issue ???. Those Charter Boats who used to fish these are now heading to the 50's - where to next :-/

Brian.

Kerry
16-08-2003, 04:27 AM
"Possession limits" ??? interesting trying to police that one.

Cheers, Kerry.

jaybee
16-08-2003, 05:38 AM
Well if you stay out on a extended charter 48hrs or even a week the limit it 60 reef fish per person
spoke to a guy at dpi yesterday and he stated that the trip has to be 72 hrs before you can keep 60 fish havent been able to find anything on their web site as yet.
cheers
joe.

flytime
16-08-2003, 06:25 AM
HI all,
I dont have a problem with anybody keeping a feed of fish.But i do have a problem with fisho's filling the esky to compensate for fuel, boat costs etc .....I hear it all the time.A bloke who worked at our local servo said :used to fish bray's reef and fill rubbish bins full of snapper ,and feed the whole caravan park."but now i have to travel further to get a feed", and bought a bigger boat to do so .Our fish stocks can't sustain this sort of pressure any more.If you want a frezzer full go to the butcher shop.
fishing should be about sport and enjoyment ,not slaughter our stocks
(sorry it gets me cranky when i see and hear these things)
regards steve :)

Lucky_Phill
16-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Still on the issue sort of ! seen today that over 21,000 responses to the GBRMPA closure zones plan, That's a record response and you'll find the plan will not be law as it stands NOW.

Phill

banshee
16-08-2003, 04:02 PM
I think people on this site that have taken part in any of the major classic type contests shouldn't be taking the piss out of the charter blokes,likewise ,those that don't pass unfavourable comments when classic type threads are posted should also refrain,definately a case of not seeing the forest for the trees.

mackmauler
16-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Banshee since it was me who started this thread, who are you talking about ??? Im on record for my anti fishing comp stance.

banshee
16-08-2003, 04:42 PM
As you are the only one to speak out in support when I posted my comments some time back I respect your veiws,but I would still like to state,anyone else supporting the fish kills that are called "classics" has no business grabing the moral high ground here.

jaybee
16-08-2003, 05:54 PM
i've never fished a classic don't belong to any club, and i will never pay money to fish any competition as such, not even a charter. I fish for sport, a good time and hopefully a feed. I don't believe in charters and never will, and i think its time dpi clamped down on em. As they said on the phone the other day, the over kill from charters is what is killing the rec fisher, but they (dpi) they cant police all off em, because not enough people phone in when the wrong thing is done. it has to be on the day not two days or a week later. I guess the question is, Do we need charter operators? and if so why?
cheers
joe.

skales
16-08-2003, 07:13 PM
I've payed and fished comp,did belong to a club,enjoy the sport , good time and feed.Why do we have charters ? Well not everybody owns a boat or a boat that can get to where the bigger fish are .I own a big enough boat to go offshore but still go on charters .I think it is to much hassle towing a large boat along the coast to get to better fishing grounds ,much easier and cost effected to go on a charter . The owner and skippers aren't silly enough to go over there limits and risk there livelyhood for a few fish .If any policing should be done , they should start with the mince grinder mobs at some of our local jetties .As for the photo in question I think of the 10 people fishing this trip they would be lucky if they go home with there bag limit 30 fish each , thats 300 in total and if it is a extended trip 600 . Lucky the fish all aren't all over 4kgs , that would make this picture look real bad hey.

dazza
17-08-2003, 04:50 AM
One of the big problems as i see it is law enforcement. How many times do you see fisheries on the water or at a boat ramp? I think i have only seen them twice in about the last 10 years. The 1800 number is a joke.

They don't have to be roaring around in big boats every weekend. A couple of hours spent at a boat ramp here and there would make alot of people pick up their act.
They know what time most charters return from fishing trips, why cant they be snooping around then?

What is the difference if I fish a comp for my yearly fishing holiday, or go it alone? Sure there are hundreds of other anglers fishing that same period, but wouldn't they go fising anyway? Maybe not at that time, but they are still going to fish.

I am totally against meat fishing in any shape or form, weather it be by charter, club, comp or private boats, I personally think the bag and size limits should be a bit tighter.

My two bob's worth, for what it is worth
cheers
dazza

flytime
17-08-2003, 06:01 AM
Banshee,
Not sure who you are talking about.I have fished major comp's being noosa family fishing
comp( in the live section only)so the fish can be released.And the three tuna comps.Also catch and release only.I am also a member of a fly club who has a big emphias on catch and release.I personally fish 3-4 day's a week and release everything bar a few.Be lucky if i keep 10 -15 fish a year. ( for the record )
regards steve

Lucky_Phill
17-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Yes, I think the comps of today are pushing the catch and release more and more. That has to be good for fish.

Times are a changin, along with attitudes.

;) ;D 8) ::)

Phill

griz066
17-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Hussar are bloody beeeeeewdifull to eat and that catch is crap if you are correct with the 13 fisho's who had to divide that between them. We got a catch that big if not bigger out of Hervey bay this week and were not over our limit with 4 of us.You are not able to fillet and snap freeze if the boat is not fitted with the correct equip as most of the smaller opperators are. Gutt and gill is fine on 1-4 day trips.

I am a rec fisho and am sick and tired of other fisho's bagging the charter opperators. Most of these blokes fish waters that are not accessable in the little tinnies and small trailer boats you own, but you seem to think they have no right to the catch, and to the way they chose to make a living to feed their families. I think there may be a hint of jealousy on your parts.

That is my opinion anyway.

mackmauler
17-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Griz, you come across as a serious meat fisherman, I guess you find it hard to understand why we have bag limits at all ::)

skales
17-08-2003, 04:15 PM
Griz thanks for the back up, the Charters do the right thing............................................. .............. Mackmauler {serious meat fisherman } He just stated he was well within Bag Limits , Its legal

Chris.Y
17-08-2003, 05:27 PM
Griz thanks for the back up, the Charters do the right thing............................................. .............. Mackmauler #{serious meat fisherman } He just stated he was well within Bag Limits #, Its legal

Bag limits are a legal joke!
I fish catch & release comps only & I'm a member of ANSA clubs that support C&R . Personally I think I am a better fisherman (& person) for doing so.
Sure I can go out & catch a bag limit of fish but does that make me a big man ?, I think not, I think if I did that I'd just be another neanderthal ###### :o, tryin to prove that I can f*@#k the world up quicker than bin laden >:(
Nothin pisses me off more than people hiding behind bearocratic bungles known as "the law" just because it suits them at the time. Maybe It's about time we invited some meathead fisho's to a C&R comp to see who gets "bagged out" :o :o :o

Crusty Chris >:(

krazyfisher
17-08-2003, 05:46 PM
Griz
You think that catch is crap? well you must be able to feed the whole street, bet you always pay for your fuel in kilo's of fish too .
As for fishing area's not accessable to us do you know what size boats we have?
And I have no problem with charter boats just how much they kill,guess thats where you learnt to kill 'em hey.
As for a hint of jealousy I dont think so you would find the people on here could show pics of bigger and better fish.
by the way was your post put up to make you feel better about your own fish kills

skales
17-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Chris , start calling people Wankers , look at yourself, you belong to ANSA, big deal does that make you better does it ? This club catch fish and keep records, Does this blow your EGO out the door ? Because you release fish your a better fisherman Ha Ha!!!How many fish die after being released by amatures? And as for hiding behind the Law no need to hide, your probly the person who sits in the centre lane trying to slow people down you think are driving to fast . Oh by the way I have fished C&R comp and still took some home for dinner

Chris.Y
17-08-2003, 06:39 PM
scales, you say you fished a catch & release comp & took some home for dinner? I DON'T GET IT? ???
In the comps I've fished if you took em home or they didn't swim away then you lose points. It kind of teaches you to use kid gloves on em. ;D ;D.
I've got no problems with takin home a few fish for an imediate feed but I can't see the point in exploiting a finite resource by takin home say 40 talor if my kid's in the boat , just cos the law say's I can.

Chris

Barrymundi
18-08-2003, 04:33 AM
I manage a charter boat business and also work as a deckie on Charter boats out of Townsville.

The majority of people who hire a charter boat to fish the reef want to bring home the bag limit. The majority who fish the creeks will release everything.

Good skippers will not let a group of fishos flog a spot to death. He will move away sometimes without the clients even realizing they have drifted.

If the deckie is not on the ball some anglers will kill a fish before asking if it is of legal size or eatable.

Below is 2 photos from Charters I have paid to be on with my wife.

Bottom one is out of Brisbane, 20 people on board, we split what you see between 20 people, cost about $120 each.

tI manage a charter boat business and also work as a deckie on Charter boats out of Townsville.

The majority of people who hire a charter boat to fish the reef want to bring home the bag limit. The majority who fish the creeks will release everything.

Good skippers will not let a group of fishos flog a spot to death. He will move away sometimes without the clients even realizing they have drifted.

If the deckie is not on the ball some anglers will kill a fish before asking if it is of legal size or eatable.

Below is 2 photos from Charters I have paid to be on with my wife.

Bottom one is out of Brisbane, 20 people on board, we split what you see between 20 people, cost about $120 each.

Top one is out of Townsville 10 people. We found a school of nannygui. Looks like a lot of fish, Worked out at 2 fish each and the skipper moved. This move was negotiated and we caught 15 coral trout after that. I come home with 2 Nanny about 6kg and 2 trout about 2 kg, Cost about $280.

Pictures without written words are worth a thousands words, they don’t need to be true.

The bigger issue for the Holier than thou group is the weekend illegal Charter Operators charging anglers to fish the reef without permits, without a survey boat, without insurance and then selling the fish. These boats are making a killing. That is a real issue, not the charter boat with a photo of fish with no story just a lot of assumptions.
one is out of Townsville 10 people. We found a school of nannygui. Looks like a lot of fish, Worked out at 2 fish each and the skipper moved. This move was negotiated and we caught 15 coral trout after that. I come home with 2 Nanny about 6kg and 2 trout about 2 kg, Cost about $280.

Pictures without written words are worth a thousands words, they don’t need to be true.

The bigger issue for the Holier than thou group is the weekend illegal Charter Operators charging #anglers to fish the reef without permits, without a survey boat, without insurance and then selling the fish. These boats are making a killing. That is a real issue, not the charter boat with a photo of fish with no story just a lot of assumptions.

krazyfisher
18-08-2003, 05:39 AM
I sat back and had a bit more of a think and what gets me is the amount of fish taken alot of the time from the one spot. I have no problems with charters as such. Maybe a bag limit for the boat would be an idea rather than per person. It is a hard one I just dont think when it is getting harder and harder for most people to catch a fish we want to see other rec fisherpeople taking so much.

flytime
18-08-2003, 06:02 AM
HI all ,
I think the point is our stocks of fish will eventually dwindle.And these practices of filling eskys is not sustainable for our future.the reason i let go fish is " let go today catch tomorrow "and hopefully for my kids in the future.If we all did a little of that ,it may pay in the future.I know some charter operaters are doing the wrong thing .We need to weed those people out. but there are some good operaters also.With good ethics.Anybody who catch and release's or keeps a few for immediate needs will always be welcome on my boat.Good luck to you all .
regards steve :)

Lucky_Phill
18-08-2003, 10:05 AM
This is a very common arguement amongst, Pro's, Rec's, Charterers', Researchers, Green Groups and all sorts.

The point is that fish stocks are dwindling and why ?

There is no one reason, I'm sure we all can agree on that.

Let's add the resaons up.
1. pollution
2. over fishing
3. argiculture runoff
4. natural occurances
5. foreshore developement
6. human population explosion
7. technology ( GPS, 4 strokes, bigger rec boats )
8. Greed.............oh yeah ! $ $ $ $
9. destruction of breeding habitat
10. weather conditions

etc etc etc etc etc.

Time we stopped blaming each other and done something positive towards a solution. This IS happening. There are numerous " lobby' groups endeavouring to help the Pollies do something.

There is no overnight solution, but, I'm sure you all have seen the great results in bag limits, size increases and netting bans that have taken place over the last year, in particular.

A few bad apples in all groups will always happen, but, the Charter's, Rec's and Pro's are out there doing the right thing, mostly.

The question we have to ask ourselves....is " am I doing the right thing ? ".

That question encompasses ' things ' like, returning undersized fish, binning all your rubbish, filling out RIS's, knowing the Regs, loggin on for boat trips, reporting illegal activities, steering clear of protected zones, telling the kids, why you returned that small Bream, etc etc.

This chat room / board, is a great forum for venting your thoughts and ideas. Doing this here, is part of the education on modern anglers. Good discussion fellas, keep it up. ><> ><> ><>

Phill

griz066
18-08-2003, 11:51 AM
Yes krazyfisher I do think that catch is crap if the catch was to be divided between 13 fisho's probably at least 2 of which caught bugger all through no fault of their own but hey that is how it works sometimes. :D

Now I dont' even own a boat but I seriously doubt if you have a boat large enough to fish the waters 50 and 160 mile out where we have been going. So if I don't own a boat, and am not able to reef fish as often as you, I must still only take enough fish for 1 feed and that will do, well that is BS. Out of the catch mentioned in previous post I kept my 1/4 share which amounted to 20 packets of fillets aprox 1kg each, now if that makes me a killer in your eyes then you are a knob. And now who was talking about bigger and better fish I too have caught bigger and better, but you were bagging the amount of fish caught saying it was a killing when the simple fact is, if you and 2 mates go out in your boat (the Titanic) and if there are 4 other boats out there with 3 fisho's on board and they all catch 5 reefies each, which even you would have to admit is a pretty lean day that amounts to 75 fish total, now add in a few extra big fish while trolling around and you have a catch as large as the one that started all this chat, so how is that different to the same 15 mates being on the 1 charter boat? ???

What was the piont of your post Mackmauler?
I know exactly why we have bag limits DO YOU? I doubt you do or you wouldn't be going on with a lot of crap about blokes catching a feed of fish well under the bag limit. ??? :-X

Chris you are a dick, do you even like to eat fish or haven't you caught 1 of legal size to keep yet. Next time you catch 1 knock the fillets of him and cook em up instead of doin the oll' Rex Hunt (kissen em throwin em back) you may like it. Don't get me wrong I throw back my fair share but I also like fish as do my wife and 2 kids but to label me a fish killer cos' I dare to take home a feed of fish instead of your prefered c&r method is BS.

Once again my opinion only. [smiley=laola.gif]

Kerry
18-08-2003, 02:03 PM
The catch & release brigade do get a little emotional over this one but if that's what they want to do then I don't have a problem with that but when they start trying to convert everybody else (and lets face it many on some sites try #[smiley=thumbsdown.gif]) then sometimes it gets a little overpowering and totally out of order.

But I suppose even when the Minister only a few days ago was STILL comparing ocean warming with (over) fishing then it is plain and obvious that even he doesn't understand or is it doesn't want to understand some of the real facts.

Cheers, Kerry.

banshee
18-08-2003, 06:19 PM
I think Griz has a valid point,he would kill less fish on his trip than a lot of other fishermen would in the course of a year.I have never been on a charter,I know of a person who has been out with mono,definately no fish kill,a barrie and some reefies each plus a great day on the water in a smick boat.There are two charter boats in this area that I know of and I doubt that either would have filleted a fraction of what went over the cleaning tables last year at the Evans Classic(for a 12 month period).Fishing by it's very nature is a blood sport,I hunt my fish and I kill them as most do,I see nothing wrong with this as long as it is done in moderation,the question is what is moderation, for me 10 average fish feeds me(wife,kids),parents and inlaws for a week.

BS
18-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Griz, there is a big difference between Krazyfisher and 3 other boats going out getting 5 fish each on a weekend and 15 mates heading out on a charter getting the same number of fish. A few thoughts.....

1. 80kg of fillets of one day to the reef by one charter boat - who did you say is a knob - I say everyone on the boat. One Operator may be booked out for a reef trip 2-3 days a week. - that's between 150 & 225 fish per boat/ 160 to 240kg per week per boat::);

2. When the number of charter boats are added up, these numbers multiply significantly. :o

3. People who head out once/ twice a year to bring home fish on a charter are entitled to do so but........how can that sort of catch possibly be sustainable ??? ???

That's the bag limit and it's legal - well it shouldn't be.

I'm sure everyone will agree that we all want to go out and get a feed of fish in 50 years time :). How the hell will this happen if this continues???. What will destroy this dream ???. refer lucky phil's points and 1 & 2 above.

Those who do not want to see bag limit's reduced and size limits increased are wankers >:(

Barrymundi
19-08-2003, 07:23 AM
Just a little bit of information.

The above post says bookings 2-3 days a week multiplied by weeks x kilo. I would like to see those days return.

Most boats out of Townsville are booked 1 trip per week and at the moment 50% of these are cancelled due to weather. If a Charter boat is Reef Fishing 50 Trips a year out of Townsville she is doing good. And remember not all trips get good captures, you only see the good photos, nobody shows photos of an empty easky.Charter boats make money other than fishing.

BS
19-08-2003, 10:01 AM
Alan, noted and agreed in respect to Nth Qld. The quarterdeck wharf is certainly a lot different to the one's down south as far as the number of charter boats is concerned. After seeing/ reading about some of the catches, it brings back memories of the stories of the hauls out of the top of Hervey Bay and the Swains which are continuing week in week out. >:( >:(. What were you referring to when you said charter boats make money other than fishing ???

krazyfisher
19-08-2003, 10:08 AM
it should be about sport and fun not fillets

my final thought

Gazza
19-08-2003, 12:49 PM
it should be about sport and fun not fillets

my final thought

Krazy,
why not play "beach volleyball" ;D and stop annoying the fish I'm trying to EAT!!! >:(

"initial thought"......only :D :D :D

Regards
Gazza

Barrymundi
19-08-2003, 03:11 PM
What were you referring to when you said charter boats make money other than fishing ???

Better money in cruising around the island entertaining clients, Jetski rides, government work.

The Charter Boat industry in Townsvile has suffered for the last 3 years with the consistent bad weather

Kerry
19-08-2003, 04:28 PM
After seeing/ reading about some of the catches, it brings back memories of the stories of the hauls out of the top of Hervey Bay and the Swains which are continuing week in week out. >:( >:(.

Again the Swains are seasonal and weather permitting (as always). There a couple of charter boats that arrive here in season and try and run for a few months then go back to the Brisbane river where it don't get so rough and windy ;D

Even the local reef line boats here would laugh about working week in, week out, they'd probably like to but it simply doesn't happen.

Cheers, Kerry.

krazyfisher
19-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Gazza
beach volley ball not really my sport but can be good to watch ;D
and stop eating the fish I'm trying to catch ;D

stevedemon
21-08-2003, 04:51 AM
Hi All
Well I know that I will get some bits from this little statement but it is freedom of speech that I will impose you guy's are complaining about Charter boat's thats fine now i will take you back a couple of steps J.B you made a statement that you do not belong to any clubs or pay to go fishing well hate to one the one to tell you that you are part of a club Sunfish in some ways they can do a lot ofgood if put into practice but they do not practice what they precieve.
As for the Charter Boat operator's they are under very strict code of ethic's as I myself have had to learn from the fact's of go through the course's to become one of these people in fact of the matter the Government departments and the D.P.I will come down like a tonne of bricks on any Charter Boat Operator that is breaking any rule from driving their Vessels to safety of life at sea O.H & Safety rules to bag limit and possesion limits and the fines that go with the rules can be any where from $75.00 per penalty point min penalty points are 20 this is the starting point for a Charter Boat Operator and it's crew and believe me that Transport & D.P.I guy's don't muck around they when it come to us guy's the strict code of ehtic's are being impose on all Charter Boat Operators from safety of the Vessel's to the safety of it's Passengers to fish limits but then again it will only be the winghers that will not see that they have a job to do and yes a lot of the time the have to police themselve's and we have to do the same as rec fisherman it is only my thoughts but if you look carefully as one statment I read the mince grinder's need policing on the jetties along with the back street waters way hunters

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P :P

jaybee
21-08-2003, 06:28 AM
Steve i am not a member of Sunfish, havent been since August. Work commitments prevent me from attending meetings. Sunfish is not a amateur Fishing club, it is an organisation representing app 45,000 (paid members) which i believe consist of professional and amateur fishers, to have a voice in government and to teach sustainable fishing practices. So even if i was financial, its still not a fishing club as you state. Also speaking to DPI, they state there is nothing they can do about illegal practices unless they are there on the spot, or someone takes the time to follow people, take photos and write down boat and or car rego. Its no good complaining a couple of days later without evidence. their words not mine. So using the sand pumping jetty as an example, if you see people doing the wrong thing, and the hotline isnt answered, they expect people to do a 007, follow the perpetrator, take photos and write down rego numbers, yeh right :P a good way to influence people the wrong way if you ask me.
cheers
joe.